2016 NBA DRAFT

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: 2016 NBA DRAFT

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote: How about he also learns to rebound? He's only been playing 5 years. He can still learn.
I think this is overblown. So he didn't start playing until HS. So what? How much do you actually learn beyond the basics before then? Before HS you're basically learning how to shoot and pass at a fundamental level. I don't think missing that is why Chriss is not a good rebounder. He can improve and probably will, I just don't think using the whole "he just started playing basketball" thing as an excuse for any undeveloped part of his game makes much sense.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't get what Sacramento did in this draft. Their #1 priority seems to be keeping Boogie Cousins happy. So they draft a bunch of other big men who probably can't play on the floor at the same time as Boogie? Why? Who is making the decisions over there?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Sacto? My oh my. I could even believe that nobody until Boston at #23 would have taken Papa John's. At #13 they could have drafted Valentine (maybe a starter at SG) and at #22 you go with your backup center if you must (Zizic, Zubac were available as well).

Skal at #28 is ridiculous value, though. Maybe Adam Silver got it mixed somehow and it was Skal #10 to Milwaukee and Thon Maker #28.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

INFORMER wrote:
DrSublime wrote: dude,
Ulis won DPOY even though he's tiny
http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-colu ... 63057.html
And Alando Tucker won Big East Player of the Year.
BIG 10*
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Sacto? My oh my. I could even believe that nobody until Boston at #23 would have taken Papa John's. At #13 they could have drafted Valentine (maybe a starter at SG) and at #22 you go with your backup center if you must (Zizic, Zubac were available as well).

Skal at #28 is ridiculous value, though. Maybe Adam Silver got it mixed somehow and it was Skal #10 to Milwaukee and Thon Maker #28.

The Kings had a pretty awful draft IMO. I like the fact they rolled the dice with Skal at 28, because the risk/reward at that point was worth it. But there is a reason he fell that far. At times last yr he got pushed around by guys who get pushed around. Plus for a guy who really needs to develop, I can't think of a worse situation.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

As bad as the Kings draft was, they somehow swindled a first round pick for Marco Belinelli. He was awful last year. Great deal for them.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

INFORMER wrote:
apples and oranges my friend.
~~~~~

Cap

Post by Cap »

I imagine Ulis will be a very effective defender against some match ups and a liability against others. Being the 4th guard in the rotation gives the coach a lot of flexibility to pick and choose his spots.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I have to agree with the overwhelming consensus on the draft being a success. And I can't help but think that Inf was being melodramatic with that F.

That being said, I have seen Inf come out on the right side of a debate enough times that I wonder.

I love the Dragan and Ulis picks. I do not like how Chriss is an epic fail rebounder, although he might be fine at SF or as a PF next to Len, a monster position rebounder. I would have to trust McD here, but if he was wrong, he is most likely done here.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Dragan seems like a taller Boris Diaw at worst (i.e. lazy and unwilling to drive) and a Kukoc or even a better shooting and defending Danny Manning at best. Ulis looks like the Suns' backup PG for the next 15 years.

carey

Re: RE: Re: 2016 NBA DRAFT

Post by carey »

DrSublime wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In 2007 Marcus Banks scored 42 pts in a Summer League game which was the record for a while. Wait. What are we arguing?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Superbone wrote:Yeah, but I think this is a little different because of the fact that he didn't switch to basketball until 5 years ago. Somebody needs to teach him how to box out.
Is he supposed to be a fast learner?
He seems to be a really intelligent kid so I would think so.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote: How about he also learns to rebound? He's only been playing 5 years. He can still learn.
I think this is overblown. So he didn't start playing until HS. So what? How much do you actually learn beyond the basics before then? Before HS you're basically learning how to shoot and pass at a fundamental level. I don't think missing that is why Chriss is not a good rebounder. He can improve and probably will, I just don't think using the whole "he just started playing basketball" thing as an excuse for any undeveloped part of his game makes much sense.
Let's agree to disagree. I learned the fundamentals and knew how to box out before starting high school.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
BIG 10*
Good catch. Thanks.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:As bad as the Kings draft was, they somehow swindled a first round pick for Marco Belinelli. He was awful last year. Great deal for them.
II couldn't believe anyone gave up a 1st rounder for Marco Belinelli. That really is incredible.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

DrSublime wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Ha! How so? You're touting Ulis's SEC DPOY as proof that Ulis won't have an issue on the defensive end. Collegiate awards (and CONFERENCE rewards at that) really aren't evidence of what a prospect will do at the pro level.

How many NBA prospects play point guard in the SEC? Wade Baldwin?! That's about it. J.J Frazier is a very good college player, but he may not even get drafted next year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

virtual9mm wrote:Dragan seems like a taller Boris Diaw at worst (i.e. lazy and unwilling to drive) and a Kukoc or even a better shooting and defending Danny Manning at best.
Laziness won't be an issue for Bender.

I think Kukoc is a good comp and Bender's ceiling.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Kukoc has been the one to come to mind for me as well.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:Kukoc has been the one to come to mind for me as well.
Is that because he has openly said he modeled his game on Toni Kukoc or did you all not know that? ;)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

A Toni Kukoc on this team would make Bledsoe at PG a lot easier to take.