2016 NBA DRAFT

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: 2016 NBA DRAFT

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I hope he clicked on a lot of ads after he posted his rant. (It was probably just a spam bot.)

Ugh; running/moderating a message board becomes an arms race about captchas and anti-spam and blocking/removing spam posts from time to time. Not the most fun part of the whole ordeal.
I feel for you. Something similar happens with online gaming servers. It's crazy how many people directly or indirectly want to spoil the fun of others. At least there is no cheating on here hehehe.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Thanks, Mods, for keeping the site clean!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Yes. Thanks! It makes sense now. It was likely a spam bot.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I hope he clicked on a lot of ads after he posted his rant. (It was probably just a spam bot.)

Ugh; running/moderating a message board becomes an arms race about captchas and anti-spam and blocking/removing spam posts from time to time. Not the most fun part of the whole ordeal.
I just cleaned up another spam attack that hit us this morning. They infected all three forums. I banned two and deleted 4 spam threads.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:19 pm
I have to agree with the overwhelming consensus on the draft being a success. And I can't help but think that Inf was being melodramatic with that F.

That being said, I have seen Inf come out on the right side of a debate enough times that I wonder.

I love the Dragan and Ulis picks. I do not like how Chriss is an epic fail rebounder, although he might be fine at SF or as a PF next to Len, a monster position rebounder. I would have to trust McD here, but if he was wrong, he is most likely done here.
I had to read back through some of this thread because I am a masochist. I thought this post by v9 summed up what most of us were saying...

Split T

Post by Split T »

It's kinda funny how Chriss poor rebounding was probably our biggest concern and that's maybe his best attribute or 2nd to shot blocking.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here was one of my posts from that thread:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:34 pm
No guarantee that either Bender or Chriss will work out. But it's hard for me to look at the list of players drafted and give us worse than a "B". I would even tentatively give this draft an "A-" though I am on record as wanting Sabonis over Chriss with that #8 pick.
I mostly stand by it, though "A-" is obviously a stretch and wasn't borne out by the evidence so far.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I mostly stand by my stance, which is that it was a terrible draft and rolling the dice on Bender was the sensible thing to do given the lack of other options.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm
I mostly stand by my stance, which is that it was a terrible draft and rolling the dice on Bender was the sensible thing to do given the lack of other options.
A bunch of thought that way about Bender - take a risk on a guy with high upside. But we also know he would be a long term project, and that's why we wanted Sabonis. We thought Sabonis would be ready to play now and be a good role player going forward while Bender develops.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori you should just leave registration open for two weeks, make a sticky announcement to any Lurkers that they have two weeks to register, and then close it again. Gives people plenty of time and this won’t be an ongoing issue

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:22 pm
Mori you should just leave registration open for two weeks, make a sticky announcement to any Lurkers that they have two weeks to register, and then close it again. Gives people plenty of time and this won’t be an ongoing issue
If we’re going to take that approach, maybe we should do it around draft time, when there’s likely to be a surge of interest.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
FYI, registration is currently open. I'll leave it open as long as I can get away with it. If spam becomes a big problem again, we'll revisit.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:25 am
specialsauce wrote:
FYI, registration is currently open. I'll leave it open as long as I can get away with it. If spam becomes a big problem again, we'll revisit.
Honestly, spam has never been a “big” problem here that I can recall. The occasional spam post would get through when registration was open, but it was never a flood. About one or two posts a week at its worst, IIRC.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:31 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:25 am
specialsauce wrote:
Honestly, spam has never been a “big” problem here that I can recall. The occasional spam post would get through when registration was open, but it was never a flood. About one or two posts a week at its worst, IIRC.
You do not recall correctly. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the spam didn't always *seem* to be a problem because somebody would delete it, leaving no trace that it had been there. But there would often be many spam threads in a row, and they'd also post spam messages in existing threads. So it'd take a bit of work for some poor mod to clean it all out. It was a drag.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I see a martystepp among the new registrees. We’re letting riffraff in!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:00 am
I think the spam didn't always *seem* to be a problem because somebody would delete it, leaving no trace that it had been there. But there would often be many spam threads in a row, and they'd also post spam messages in existing threads. So it'd take a bit of work for some poor mod to clean it all out. It was a drag.
+1
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Thanks, Mods!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:47 pm
I see a martystepp among the new registrees. We’re letting riffraff in!
I made a test account so I could see some stuff from the non-mod perspective. :-)