Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Captain Marv-el

Re: Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Post by Captain Marv-el »

I might become a clippers fan, Hes seems like a wonderful owner
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I know it's not happening but...

"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Just send'em back to Buffalo.... i'll drive 45 minutes for NBA basketball... :D

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I wonder if the media is going to attack jackass justin bieber even a quarter as much as they attacked donald sterling?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Too much money for any sane man to turn down.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Too much money for any sane man to turn down.
Yep, even for the mentally incapacitated.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Really he got at least twice what that team is worth, just bonkers. Thats more than european football clubs man, incredible. Thats what Jerry Jones wouldve gotten for the Dallas Cowboys.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I like that avatar, TOO, because it always seems like you're laughing at my jokes. (Even if you didn't get the "A Capela" one earlier today.)
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Totally flew over my head :(

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:I like that avatar, TOO, because it always seems like you're laughing at my jokes. (Even if you didn't get the "A Capela" one earlier today.)
I made that joke to Espo a few days ago on Twitter when he was talking about puns for prospective players & dude ignored me :(
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Weird because that right up his terrible pun laden alley.

SDC

Post by SDC »

it seems like donald sterling is the big winner here.

here's how i read the situation. 2 conditions were met:

1) sterling forced the NBA to pay him 2 BILLION DOLLARS to settle and make him go away. i believe this is sterling's asking price. anything less than 2 BILLION DOLLARS and he would have sued the nba and force the owners to take an uncomfortable vote (mark cuban) that would have set a precedent on how an owner loses his franchise.

2) he refused to sell his team to any ownership groups (magic fronting the guggenheim group, oprah and his partners, oscar dela hoya+floyd mayweather, geffen+katzenberg+partners). Sold it to a single owner from seattle for 2 BILLION, and that guy had to OVERPAY. now the sword of damocles hangs over the clippers fans: when will ballmer move the team to seattle?

the biggest losers here are the nba players. this recent incident had strengthen silver's hand. in the next CBA, moving the age limit to 20 yrs old is all but guaranteed. silver did what he had to do, at a huge price, but now he has tons of political capital. it also shows he can get things done. good for adam silver.

and goodbye la clippers.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

With that kind of investment, maybe the new owner will want to stay in the giant LA market to recoup some of that money. Seattle is not the cash cow LA is.

SDC

Post by SDC »

paying 2 BILLION DOLLARS for the la clippers doesnt make sense, unless the NBA just wants sterling to go away. i'm sure clippers fans are praying that ballmer keeps the team in los angeles. but nobody can tell ballmer what to do with the team.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There's no chance he's moving the Clippers. It's actually in the contract that he won't.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Shabazz wrote:There's no chance he's moving the Clippers. It's actually in the contract that he won't.
where did you get that? only thing he said that he will do "everything in his power" to keep the clippers in LA.

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/donald-ste ... -clippers/

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Donald Sterling has decided, FUCK my 2 billion dollars, my pride is worth MORE than that, and I am going to war with the NBA!
Donald Sterling had agreed to ink the deal and drop the suit last week assuming "all their differences had been resolved," his attorneys said. But individuals close to the negotiations who weren't authorized to speak publicly said he decided to not sign the papers after learning the NBA won't revoke its lifetime ban and fine. "There was never a discussion involving the NBA in which we would modify Mr. Sterling's penalty in any way whatsoever. Any suggestion otherwise is complete fabrication," NBA spokesman Mike Bass said.
WOOOOOW

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It doesn't mean anything. Sterling is basically suing himself.
An individual familiar with the negotiations who wasn't authorized to speak publicly said Monday that there were two options for Donald Sterling - to either sign or go to court. But even if he wins in court, he's ultimately winning a judgment against himself because his wife Shelly Sterling has agreed to indemnify the NBA against all lawsuits, including by her husband, the individual said.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Phoenix219 wrote:Donald Sterling has decided, FUCK my 2 billion dollars, my pride is worth MORE than that, and I am going to war with the NBA!
Donald Sterling had agreed to ink the deal and drop the suit last week assuming "all their differences had been resolved," his attorneys said. But individuals close to the negotiations who weren't authorized to speak publicly said he decided to not sign the papers after learning the NBA won't revoke its lifetime ban and fine. "There was never a discussion involving the NBA in which we would modify Mr. Sterling's penalty in any way whatsoever. Any suggestion otherwise is complete fabrication," NBA spokesman Mike Bass said.
WOOOOOW
i guess sterling values his reputation more than the 2 BILLION DOLLARS being offered to make him go away.

the NBA could have reduced the punishment to a 3-5 yr ban. he's in his eighties now and he wont be owning any nba teams anymore.

Sterling could cause damage to the NBA with the pretrial discovery. But one good news for the NBA is Eric Holder runs the DOJ.