Suns Training Camp 2016

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Suns Training Camp 2016

Post by Superbone »

Training camp is in full swing and by all accounts, things are off to a good start. 70% of the first practice was dedicated to defense.
Phoenix Suns' Earl Watson shows tough love, defense at camp
Paul Coro, azcentral sports 6:43 p.m. MST September 27, 2016

FLAGSTAFF – Earl Watson is outwardly loving, direct and deep. Sometimes, all at once.

Watson’s first training-camp practice as Suns head coach was going on just as planned, drawing out defense and energy when he blew his old-school “John Wooden” whistle to make a point Monday at Northern Arizona University’s Rolle Activity Center gym.

The love: Watson began talking to the entire team with an arm around rookie point guard Tyler Ulis.

The directness: “We’re just talking,” he said with the raspiness of three hours of coaching. “We’re not talking with a purpose.”

The depth: “No energy, no victory,” Watson said one of his slogans – in Bruce Arians “No risk-it, no biscuit” fashion.

Watson has been thinking about doing this job since the time he entered the NBA as a player 15 years ago.

Read more...
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Re: Suns Training Camp 2016

Post by carey »

I'm not hearing Chandler's name much. Anyone feel he is not long for this team? Maybe it's just that the old veteran doesn't have much to say and will take his time getting into the swing of things. It certainly seems like the previously quiet Bledsoe is taking over the role we all thought Chandler would fill.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It certainly seems like the previously quiet Bledsoe is taking over the role we all thought Chandler would fill.
Rebounder and shot-blocker? :-)

OE32

Post by OE32 »

carey wrote:I'm not hearing Chandler's name much. Anyone feel he is not long for this team? Maybe it's just that the old veteran doesn't have much to say and will take his time getting into the swing of things. It certainly seems like the previously quiet Bledsoe is taking over the role we all thought Chandler would fill.
Also not seeing ANYTHING about Archie from Media Day. Wasn't even in the pic of the Kentucky guards - Bled, Knight, Booker, Ulis... and no Archie.

EDC

Post by EDC »

I'm pretty sure Archie will get as much playing time this season as he did coverage during media day.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:I'm not hearing Chandler's name much. Anyone feel he is not long for this team? Maybe it's just that the old veteran doesn't have much to say and will take his time getting into the swing of things. It certainly seems like the previously quiet Bledsoe is taking over the role we all thought Chandler would fill.
If you watch the Dudley interview on AZCentral, you'll hear him talk about Chandler talking to the guys on defense a lot just like last year.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:I'm pretty sure Archie will get as much playing time this season as he did coverage during media day.
Hard to get playing time when there are 18,000 guards. Even John Jenkins is trying to make the team. Let's see:

Bledsoe
Knight
Booker
Barbosa
Ulis
Jenkins
Goodwin

Did I miss anybody?

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
EDC wrote:I'm pretty sure Archie will get as much playing time this season as he did coverage during media day.
Hard to get playing time when there are 18,000 guards. Even John Jenkins is trying to make the team. Let's see:

Bledsoe
Knight
Booker
Barbosa
Ulis
Jenkins
Goodwin

Did I miss anybody?
That's all of them. And the bottom 4 are sorted by playing time.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope Goodwin's renting.

carey

Post by carey »

Suns Bledsoe slims down and stays strong: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /91227038/
Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe’s physique always has been striking.

Bledsoe remains as muscular as a 1968 Mustang but now also has some noticeable sleekness to him.

Bledsoe said he lost 10 pounds during a late August/early September trip to coach at a Basketball Without Borders camp in Angola and volunteer for UNICEF, also in Angola.

“When I got back, I was so skinny,” said Bledsoe, who said he entered training camp this week at 189 pounds. “I love it. I’m trying to keep that going for me, eating right, recovery, the whole nine, trying to get my body 100 percent.”
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

How is this a good thing? The dude was ripped. If he lost weight, it's more likely muscle lost than fat.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:How is this a good thing? The dude was ripped. If he lost weight, it's more likely muscle lost than fat.
He now has a sleeker build more suited for basketball and running. We often heard about Bledsoe getting tired in the past. This will make a big difference in his conditioning. His stamina may even reach Hillary levels.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Booker comfortable, confident in role as future All-Star
BOB BAUM (AP Sports Writer)•Sep 26, 2016, 4:12 PM

PHOENIX (AP) -- A month ago, LeBron James was asked on a podcast to name an under-the-radar ''promising young gun'' in the NBA.

He named Devin Booker, predicting the 19-year-old Phoenix Suns guard will be ''a really, really, really All-Star player in this league.''

''It just means I'm on the right path,'' Booker said Monday at the Suns' media day. ''I know I still have a long way to go, but to hear those words from one of the greatest to ever touch a basketball, it's an unbelievable feeling. But at the same time, it still makes you want to work that much harder.''

The Suns, who have missed the playoffs in six straight seasons, have been looking for a superstar since Steve Nash left, and they just might have one in the making.

''I think you have certain players that come into this league that have their God-given ability and the mindset to have a true opportunity to be great,'' Phoenix center Tyson Chandler said.

Chandler said Booker ''has the opportunity to be definitely tops at his position in two or three years.''

Read more...

"Be Legendary."

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:How is this a good thing? The dude was ripped. If he lost weight, it's more likely muscle lost than fat.
His stamina may even reach Hillary levels.
:lol:
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Booker comfortable, confident in role as future All-Star
BOB BAUM (AP Sports Writer)•Sep 26, 2016, 4:12 PM

PHOENIX (AP) -- A month ago, LeBron James was asked on a podcast to name an under-the-radar ''promising young gun'' in the NBA.

He named Devin Booker, predicting the 19-year-old Phoenix Suns guard will be ''a really, really, really All-Star player in this league.''

''It just means I'm on the right path,'' Booker said Monday at the Suns' media day. ''I know I still have a long way to go, but to hear those words from one of the greatest to ever touch a basketball, it's an unbelievable feeling. But at the same time, it still makes you want to work that much harder.''

The Suns, who have missed the playoffs in six straight seasons, have been looking for a superstar since Steve Nash left, and they just might have one in the making.

''I think you have certain players that come into this league that have their God-given ability and the mindset to have a true opportunity to be great,'' Phoenix center Tyson Chandler said.

Chandler said Booker ''has the opportunity to be definitely tops at his position in two or three years.''

Read more...
I'm probably letting the hype get to me too much, but I agree with Chandler. In 2 or 3 years, Booker could be the best 2 guard in the nba. Of course, Harden will still be in his prime, so Booker has a long way to go to be #1.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Hard to believe our first preseason game is just around the corner. We play the Spurs at home on Monday.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope Saver does his chicken dance for Pop again.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It'll be interesting to see how we progress and build around Booker (assuming he improves as anticipated). There will have to be a shift in mentality and offensive play if he's good enough to play through and become the go-to guy. We've never had a dominant 2guard and it seems most teams now make it a point (no pun intended) to have a dominant PG and/or a dominant bigman. Can Booker evolve into a ballhandling 2guard like Wade or Harden ad need a less dominant PG who can feed him the ball and then go wait to stand and shoot? Or, does Booker play off a more dominant PG ala Klay and Steph? Can either Bledsoe or Knight handle that role or will they continue to want to pound the ball and look for their own?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

ShelC wrote:We've never had a dominant 2guard and it seems most teams now make it a point (no pun intended) to have a dominant PG and/or a dominant bigman.
Never is a pretty strong word.

Don't forget about Paul Westphal [2 All-NBA 1st Teams, 2 All-NBA 2nd Teams, 4 All-Star Games with Phoenix]
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Was Westphal "dominant" or really good?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton