Preseason Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Blazers (1-0), Fri 10/7/16

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Preseason Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Blazers (1-0), Fri 10/7/16

Post by Superbone »

Time: 7:00 pm AZ (7:00 pm PT / 10:00 pm ET)
Place: Moda Center, Portland, OR
Internet: NBALP

The Suns play their first road game of the preseason up in Portland. This will already mark the halfway point of preseason.

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Re: Preseason Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Blazers (1-0), Fri 10/7/16

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I would like to see extended minutes of a Bledsoe-Booker-Warren-Bender-Chriss lineup. Stop messing with Bender at SF as a way to open up a starting spot for Len, long term Dragan will be more effective upfront. The same for Booker at SF to make room for Knight. Warren is showing that he deserves to be the starting SF in a developing young team.

Since Len is already looking as a bench option behind his frontcourt rookie team mates, and Knight should be getting shopped discretly but permanently, this lineup is unfolding as our new core, and I like it. Keep LB, Dudley and Chandler from the bench to stabilize things, but everyone else should be on the block, for an upcoming trade looking for a happy 6th man and more talent to develop. We can play and/or start Chandler and Dudley during the season, right now is the rookie's turn.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm of the opposite mind with Bender. Lets not force him inside until he is ready. He can guard bigger wings so why not let him? His post & inside game will take time.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

It's preseason, so now's the time to experiment.
Actually, much of this season could be used to try different lineups ... just as long as it's not three point guards at one time .... :x
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think Bender is going to be an NBA SF. It reminds me of when the Hawks didn't understand Boris Diaw and had him badly playing PG rather than using him as a big man. (Very different kinds of players, but still.) I don't think it helps Bender much to have him out there chasing wings around with two other big men in our lineup at the same time. I want to see him at the 4 or 5 spot.

I don't really want to see heavy minutes for any of our vets tonight. Preseason is for the vets to shake off a bit of rust and for the younglings to get heavy run. Let the kids play.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I saw an interesting tweet the other day saying, why not just allow ties at the end of regulation in preseason? The game's outcome doesn't matter, and then everybody can go home at a predictable time.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't think Bender is going to be an NBA SF. It reminds me of when the Hawks didn't understand Boris Diaw and had him badly playing PG rather than using him as a big man. (Very different kinds of players, but still.) I don't think it helps Bender much to have him out there chasing wings around with two other big men in our lineup at the same time. I want to see him at the 4 or 5 spot.
The league seems to be evolving toward versatile bigs so that PFs are going to have to be able to chase wing-type players around on the perimeter. What makes Bender appealing is his potential to be precisely that kind of versatile big, who can player either on the perimeter or in the paint, on both ends of the floor. To make the most out of him, it is important to develop both sets of skills. It would be a mistake to pigeonhole him as an old-school big.
I don't really want to see heavy minutes for any of our vets tonight. Preseason is for the vets to shake off a bit of rust and for the younglings to get heavy run. Let the kids play.
Against Utah, every available player got at least 12 minutes, and nobody got more than 25. I expect something similar tonight.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't think Bender is going to be an NBA SF. It reminds me of when the Hawks didn't understand Boris Diaw and had him badly playing PG rather than using him as a big man. (Very different kinds of players, but still.) I don't think it helps Bender much to have him out there chasing wings around with two other big men in our lineup at the same time. I want to see him at the 4 or 5 spot.
The league seems to be evolving toward versatile bigs so that PFs are going to have to be able to chase wing-type players around on the perimeter. What makes Bender appealing is his potential to be precisely that kind of versatile big, who can player either on the perimeter or in the paint, on both ends of the floor. To make the most out of him, it is important to develop both sets of skills. It would be a mistake to pigeonhole him as an old-school big.
Against Utah, every available player got at least 12 minutes, and nobody got more than 25. I expect something similar tonight.
I think Marty's point about Bender stands. The league is already full of perimeter players at the 4 spot. Calling Bender a 3 doesn't develop and extra skill that he couldn't get at the 4. And every year there is some idiot team predicting that their rooky is going to play at a shorter position like Magic and Durant. It is very very rare. At 7'1", Bender is still up one position and 3 inches taller than most power forwards. 5 inches taller than many small ball power forwards he will be chasing on the perimeter.

He may play some spot minutes at 3 over the course of his career, but I think putting him there heavily will keep him from showing his best.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote: And every year there is some idiot team predicting that their rooky is going to play at a shorter position like Magic and Durant.
This year it was Simmons. :?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

About to start! SD but no buffering or issues. Streaming super smoothly.

http://www.streamendous.com/channel62.php
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

Are you guys sure you are looking at Bender's current skill set instead of just hoping we have the next great Suns PF because we haven't had one since STAT left? I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet, I've only seen him play Summer League and 1 pre-season game. It's just what I've seen him do out on the wing is impressive.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

carey wrote:Are you guys sure you are looking at Bender's current skill set instead of just hoping we have the next great Suns PF because we haven't had one since STAT left? I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet, I've only seen him play Summer League and 1 pre-season game. It's just what I've seen him do out on the wing is impressive.
Agree. I haven't commented but I think we should let him develop into what he becomes. Too many times people want to pencil a player into a position simply based on their height, not their skills or abilities. This isn't a videogame.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

Lots of breakdowns in defense for wide open 3's and jumpers by Portland for so far.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Bender just locked up Vonleh big time.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Chriss is impressive. Wow.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

As he misses 2 FT's. Damn you Chriss! Shut me up real quick.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Chriss!

carey

Post by carey »

Chriss is owning Evan Turner.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Knight playing hero ball. Ugh.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Knight with the assist. Yes, you heard me right. Knight with the assist.