Rookie and Sophmore Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Danimal

Rookie and Sophmore Watch

Post by Danimal »

Wanted a separate thread not just to discuss our rookies but others around the league

Once the season gets underway nba.com posts a fairly regular review of the rookies
http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/s ... edition-4/

Any surprise packets or disappointments so far?

Ring_Wanted

Re: Rookie and Sophmore Watch

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Embiid is showing good things. As long as he'll stay on the court, he is a factor. And his game has class.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Embiid looks like he'll be capped at 20-24 mpg. I wish we had the minutes for Ulis because he'll be a blast to watch.

Ingram I'm interested to see, as well as DAR now that he has a legit coach. I want to see how Mudiay progresses, but it looks like his offense still a rough spot. Jaylen Brown, Dunn, Sabonis and Valentine are also guys I'm going to watch out for. Other sophs, want to see if Kaminsky can step into a solid role there. Lyles has looked very good at times in the games against the Suns. Always liked Portis but he can't seem to lock down that starting spot. Stanley Johnson and RHJ are two other wings I want to watch.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope Embiid stays healthy and is able to play. He seems like such a jovial guy and seems good for the NBA. And I always feel for young guys who suffer early injuries.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:I wish we had the minutes for Ulis because he'll be a blast to watch.
So you're wishing for injuries to Bledsoe and Knight?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not injuries, but maybe a trade?

SDC

Post by SDC »

who were the chriss believers here before the draft?

carey

Post by carey »

SDC wrote:who were the chriss believers here before the draft?
Most of us. I had Bender rated ahead of him. Still not sure who will be the better long term player. They both do pretty different things out there. The Suns look smart for taking both.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

I was not, all I saw was an athlete playing ball. Happy to be wrong. Heck I didnt like Bender either, loved Ulis though.

SDC

Post by SDC »

carey wrote:
Most of us. I had Bender rated ahead of him. Still not sure who will be the better long term player. They both do pretty different things out there. The Suns look smart for taking both.
it seem back then that most preferred bender. consensus two was sabonis. lots of hield fans too.

i remember only one other forumer who wanted chriss at #4. cant remember his name. can you self identify?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

AmareIsGod (June 23rd, 2016):

Chriss looks pretty impressive, based on the YouTube highlights I watched and a few articles I've read. Why the hate towards that pick Sunsfan4life?

https://theringer.com/marquese-chriss-n ... .284c4pajq

Reminds of the Cardinals drafting the biggest risk / reward Robert Nkemdiche in the first round of the NFL Draft this year. Sometimes you have to go for the most athletic talent and potential and Chriss looks like he could have that in spades.

INFORMER (June 25th, 2016, after giving our Draft a giant picture of a red 'F'):

"I didn't like selecting Bender, I didn't like giving up so much to move up 5 spots, I hated drafting Chriss, I hated essentially pouring all of the draft assets into drafting two suspect power forward prospects, and I didn't like drafting Tyler Ulis. So no, I don't think an F grade is ridiculous."

Summary:

I was on the Chriss bandwagon hype early, as many of us were (and many of us weren't). It's still only preseason so, outside of getting a little excited, there's nothing to jump the gun about. And also, it's fun to rub it in a little and remind INF how he graded our draft. Oh, and SunsFan4Life HATED the Chriss pick. HATED it.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:Split T.

Chriss was my top choice, although he seems to be catching on quicker than I expected. Hopefully it continues during the regular season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SDC wrote:
carey wrote:
it seem back then that most preferred bender. consensus two was sabonis. lots of hield fans too.

i remember only one other forumer who wanted chriss at #4. cant remember his name. can you self identify?
http://www.phx-suns.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1052

here's a poll, 7 people picked Chriss, although I don't remember many people very vocal about it. Bender had 20 votes

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

SDC wrote:
carey wrote:

Well, Hield and Sabonis are also doing fine for now.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I certainly was not a believer in Chriss. So far there are glimpses, and even a "go to move" in development (that spin).

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I was not a fan of the Chriss pick. I'm happy to see him improve over the summer, and I hope he can keep on improving.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

SDC

Post by SDC »

Cap wrote:Split T.
he the one. yeah.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wanted Bender and Sabonis. Chriss has been a pleasant surprise so far, though, I must admit. Good for him. Exciting to see so much young talent on this team. Are we ready to admit that McDo has built us a good young roster yet?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Dumb Ant Is A Bonus is putting up terrible numbers through two preseason games.