Rookie and Sophmore Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Rookie and Sophmore Watch

Post by AmareIsGod »

Hermen wrote:
SDC wrote:
carey wrote:
SDC wrote:who were the chriss believers here before the draft?
Most of us. I had Bender rated ahead of him. Still not sure who will be the better long term player. They both do pretty different things out there. The Suns look smart for taking both.
it seem back then that most preferred bender. consensus two was sabonis. lots of hield fans too.

i remember only one other forumer who wanted chriss at #4. cant remember his name. can you self identify?
Well, Hield and Sabonis are also doing fine for now.
Really? I saw that Hield was scoreless the other night. And Sabonis hasn't looked hot either. Unless I missed obvious sarcasm. I do that plenty.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hield was held scoreless, but he's put up 19, 18, and 14 in his other 3 games on decent shooting numbers. I didn't see any of the games though. Sabonis box scores don't look great.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

So just an off game for Hield. It happens. They're all rookies. Thanks Split T.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I didn't see Sabonis play and the boxscore is just meh, but he seems to be their starting pf, which is something for a rookie.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Troy Williams today: 23 points, 5 3s, 4 steals.

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:Troy Williams today: 23 points, 5 3s, 4 steals.
Looks like we may have missed out on a gem.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

he's now passed chriss as the leading scorer among rookies so far during preseason. Booker is the leading scorer overall.

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Troy Williams today: 23 points, 5 3s, 4 steals.
Looks like we may have missed out on a gem.
Was super bummed we let him go after SL. Oh well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Curious to see how Sabonis does going forward. I'm glad he's getting minutes, but Westbrook is such an atom bomb to any offense that I doubt Sabs will get the ball much at all.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Apparently Chriss killed it in high school. For no experience and being a wire, he was a freak in high school.

[youtube][/youtube]

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Because these are fun to watch...

[youtube][/youtube]

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

[youtube][/youtube]

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

[youtube][/youtube]

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Chriss attacks and finishes at the rim very hard and aggressively and comes off of his dunks violently. That's going to really piss off a lot of PFs and Cs he's matched up with.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:Chriss attacks and finishes at the rim very hard and aggressively and comes off of his dunks violently. That's going to really piss off a lot of PFs and Cs he's matched up with.
Reminds me of a young Amare. His name was even spelled like that at the time.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:<NBA Rooks: The Young Suns>
Cool little vid. Thanks!

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

AmareIsGod wrote:Chriss attacks and finishes at the rim very hard and aggressively and comes off of his dunks violently. That's going to really piss off a lot of PFs and Cs he's matched up with.
lol, he's gonna get fouled hard by those people you mention. better avoid taunting and celebrating after dunks.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
lol, he's gonna get fouled hard by those people you mention. better avoid taunting and celebrating after dunks.
Who said anything about taunting and celebrating afterward? I've seen nothing of the sort out of Chriss.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

AmareIsGod wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
That highlight video is helpful. You see the athleticism and speed. You also see the mentality. Chriss just has the brain to play. Some players just know what they can do and what to do in situations. Chriss has that. Many very athletic players never succeed because they just don't have the confidence and instincts. This is very encouraging. I honestly thought Chriss was going to be more of a Tim Perry/Earl Clark player--all the athleticism in the world but no clue what to do with it.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JCSunsfan wrote:That highlight video is helpful. You see the athleticism and speed. You also see the mentality. Chriss just has the brain to play. Some players just know what they can do and what to do in situations. Chriss has that. Many very athletic players never succeed because they just don't have the confidence and instincts. This is very encouraging. I honestly thought Chriss was going to be more of a Tim Perry/Earl Clark player--all the athleticism in the world but no clue what to do with it.
I tought the same, I highly prefer players over athletes, so every time I read "Raw athleticism" as the main strenght of a player, I lose interest. They are supossed to be more than athletes, (altough I understand that given the extremely short supply of NBA ready ATHLETIC PLAYERS, teams take the risks of "potential"), and that's why I wanted Sabonis.

Then we drafted Chriss so now I'm rooting for him to suceed, and I have to admit that this Chriss I'm seeing is far beyond my expectations, of course is preseason, and real games are going to bring a bigger challenge, but many times you see the rookies walking clueless on the court, things happening too fast for them, or plain lack of guts to go against players faster and bigger than them.

I don't need to be right or wrong in my draft preferences, once we take our players, I'm all in for them to do great, and this kid is making things happen by pure instincts and fearless on his play. Hopefully this rub on Bender and Len as well, and we are set on the frontcourt for the next years.