Around the League: May 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Around the League: May 2014

Post by Ring_Wanted »

SwingMan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:A very bad one, of course. I said I was ok with it, not thrilled about the choice, mainly because there was another guy who also put up numbers but played great defense too. Kieff goes under the same principle. He had a very nice season and won us games, but I can't say that he got robbed.
Agree to disagree on Markieff getting robbed - though I think Gibson deserved it more than Crawford if Markieff didn't get it.
Finally found the results of the 6th man award. Extremely close race between Crawford and Gibson: http://www.nba.com/media/050814-2013-14 ... -Votes.pdf

Player 1t place votes (5 pts) 2nd place votes (3 pts) 3rd place votes (1 pt) Total Points:

Crawford, Jamal -- 57 41 13 = 421
Gibson, Taj -------- 49 45 15 = 395
Ginobili, Manu ----- 9 20 33 = 138
Morris, Markieff --- 5 10 30 = 85

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:A very bad one, of course. I said I was ok with it, not thrilled about the choice, mainly because there was another guy who also put up numbers but played great defense too. Kieff goes under the same principle. He had a very nice season and won us games, but I can't say that he got robbed.
Agree to disagree on Markieff getting robbed - though I think Gibson deserved it more than Crawford if Markieff didn't get it.
Finally found the results of the 6th man award. Extremely close race between Crawford and Gibson: http://www.nba.com/media/050814-2013-14 ... -Votes.pdf

Player 1t place votes (5 pts) 2nd place votes (3 pts) 3rd place votes (1 pt) Total Points:

Crawford, Jamal -- 57 41 13 = 421
Gibson, Taj -------- 49 45 15 = 395
Ginobili, Manu ----- 9 20 33 = 138
Morris, Markieff --- 5 10 30 = 85
Doesn't mean they're right - what a fucking crock.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:
Jackson, in conjunction with Lindsey Hunter and Pete Myers, worked to create false enemies within the Warriors organization as a means to motivate his players and provide built-in excuses if he failed.
it looks like Blacks (jackson, myers, hunter) vs Whites (scalabrine, erman, boss lacob)
Only you would see color in this issue.
Oh, believe me - if this were the old board, SDC wouldn't be the only one.....

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It just sounds like Mark Jackson was more trouble than he was worth, despite being a generally successful coach. He was stubborn and didn't want to compromise with management. He wanted to live in southern Cali and be a pastor there rather than live in the Bay Area. He pushed the religion stuff pretty hard on the players, some of whom loved it, and others found it uncomfortable. He made it pretty clear that he did not approve of Jason Collins being gay, meanwhile Rick Welts is working there as a prominent figure who is gay, and it's the SF Bay area, one of the meccas of gay culture in the US. He got into squabbles with almost all of his assistant coaches. It goes on and on.

He had a pretty decent season for them, and many of the players really liked him. But at some point it just looks like he was bringing in too much drama and they got sick of him. If Curry were coming up on his last year of his contract or something, they would probably keep Jackson rather than risk it; but they have ~2 years to mend any fences with Steph.

A few articles online are saying that race is a factor here, that it's mighty convenient how the black coach had a short leash with the white ownership. I don't think it was racism per se, but more of a culture clash. Jackson grew up in a community where the church was extremely important, where being pastor of your own church takes precedence over a job, where you have to be tough and stubborn and live your beliefs and views every day and not let others change them or force you to compromise. That mindset isn't what the ownership and other coaches wanted. It just seems like a split is best for all involved.

I'm glad they fired him. I think he was a good defensive coach and a great motivational speaker, but I don't think he is a championship level coach who could take the team any farther. I don't think he is worth the baggage and drama, and I don't want an openly anti-gay head coach in the NBA. I hope the Warriors get SVG or Kerr or somebody like that.

carey

Post by carey »

SwingMan wrote:Doesn't mean they're right - what a fucking crock.
Swingy, could you summarize why you think Crawford shouldn't have been 6th man of the year?

It's hard to believe the guy's been in the league for 14 years. 18.6 ppg with a number of clutch 4th Q performances. I've never been fond of his percentages (and thus his chucker label), but he's an extremely skilled guard that when hot can just burry a team all by himself. Would I have liked to have seen more love for the former "Whiff?" Of course, but I don't think there's any reason to be upset about this pick.

Now if we want to discuss a travesty, we can get into RC Buford winning the Executive of the year award when his only moves were to sign Jeff Pendergraph (Ayers) and Marco Belinelli. It's more of a lifetime achievement award and I absolutely hate when voters do that.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Good article on Jackson and religion.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... n/8658755/

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:
Swingy, could you summarize why you think Crawford shouldn't have been 6th man of the year?
Already have - Crawford is a part-time starter, Markieff started 0 games and was producing at just about the same level with more efficiency in less minutes. Again, all off the bench.

It's a fucking crock that he lost it.....

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I think our fall from playoff contention hurt both Kieff and our management staff for their awards and accomplishments this year. If we had turned around and made the playoffs as a 6th seed you can bet money that Hornacek or McDonough would have been in the running.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SwingMan wrote:
carey wrote:
Already have - Crawford is a part-time starter, Markieff started 0 games and was producing at just about the same level with more efficiency in less minutes. Again, all off the bench.

Do you think the media has something against the Suns?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
carey wrote:

Do you think the media has something against the Suns?
Nope - I think they might've been too close to the firewater, but no, no conspiracy against the Suns.

Just the NBA's version of Affirmative Action, is all - especially with EOTY.....

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I do think they got a little lazy with the Crawford pick, but I don't think it's a travesty. I thought Taj Gibson probably deserved it the most because of his two-way impact.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Phoenix219 wrote:I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or piss anyone off... definitely not trying to antagonize. i love all you guys on here. No one is going "too far" right now, so lets keep it that way.... this is a friendly discussion, not anywhere in the realms of the defunct politics arena. Just want to keep things level... :)
How about do it in the General forum? In fact, I'll move this discussion over there and you can have your fun there out of sight of people who want to talk Suns and basketball.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

The whole conversation stemmed from "Around the League" related conversations.... it hasn't turned personal or derogatory, I think its fine where it is.

*Edit* Looks like its too late for that. That was un needed. Thanks. ;p

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Why does it matter where it is. The conversation still exists. Go nuts.

"Be Legendary."

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

this site sucks now, im going back to realgm,com. atleast people post there.
You sold me two quier giraffes

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

you all try to act like better fans, but your not. You just fight all the time,
You sold me two quier giraffes

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Mild bickering between family members, more or less. Its not a bad thing to have opposing views, it stimulates discussion and keeps things from being boring. We're still a new site and not everyone has found it yet. We've only been back a couple months, and theres not exactly any Suns games being played right now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeffreyLee wrote:you all try to act like better fans, but your not. You just fight all the time,
Nobody is acting. See ya.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

JeffreyLee wrote:this site sucks now, im going back to realgm,com. atleast people post there.
werd!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or piss anyone off... definitely not trying to antagonize. i love all you guys on here. No one is going "too far" right now, so lets keep it that way.... this is a friendly discussion, not anywhere in the realms of the defunct politics arena. Just want to keep things level... :)
How about do it in the General forum? In fact, I'll move this discussion over there and you can have your fun there out of sight of people who want to talk Suns and basketball.
Wow - have you been soliciting Andy_S for moderation advice?

Bitch move, 'Bone.....