2017 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Prospect & March Madness Discussion

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:There's always someone that drops. I'm looking at big men prospects right now wondering if we get our Len replacement there.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
That would be wonderful (so as a Suns fan I can't imagine it will happen).

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:There's always someone that drops. I'm looking at big men prospects right now wondering if we get our Len replacement there.

Haha I was going to post that I'm looking at a big athlete, Anigbogu (UCLA) and Tony Bradley (NC), for the same exact purposes. Anigbogu has a throwback blocking style that I love. His timing is terrific.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Glad Trier is going back to U of A. He didn't look NBA ready to me.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:

Haha I was going to post that I'm looking at a big athlete, Anigbogu (UCLA) and Tony Bradley (NC), for the same exact purposes. Anigbogu has a throwback blocking style that I love. His timing is terrific.
Anigbogu is also the youngest player of the draft, so he follows our trend. He's probably a first rounder though.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

Anigbogu is also the youngest player of the draft, so he follows our trend. He's probably a first rounder though.
Top20? I'd call Portland and offer Chandler for Meyers, Ezeli and their #20. I bet they are interested in adding Chandler to backup Nurkic while sheding salary along the way. If they give me a second in '19+, I can even add the #32.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

Top20? I'd call Portland and offer Chandler for Meyers, Ezeli and their #20. I bet they are interested in adding Chandler to backup Nurkic while sheding salary along the way. If they give me a second in '19+, I can even add the #32.
I like your thinking.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That's not a bad trade idea. And it gives Portland something concrete of value in return.

Split T

Post by Split T »

[youtube][/youtube]

Hard to watch this video and still want to draft someone other than Fultz. He's so good. I just feel like one day he's going to be in that Top 5-7 players in the league class. He could be James Harden.

Split T

Post by Split T »

[youtube][/youtube]

Ball looks so fun too. Interesting to see how good Ball shoots in the pull up game. Although most of those pullups are from 25 feet.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Ball vs. Fultz. Tough choice. Would be happy with either. Ball seems like the much more aggressive defender, and other players are going to want to play with Lonzo ala Jason Kidd.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

Hard to watch this video and still want to draft someone other than Fultz. He's so good. I just feel like one day he's going to be in that Top 5-7 players in the league class. He could be James Harden.
A trio of Fultz/Booker/Ulis is so appealing to me. GIves you a lot of offensive versatility that I dont think Ball offers.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:Ball vs. Fultz. Tough choice. Would be happy with either. Ball seems like the much more aggressive defender, and other players are going to want to play with Lonzo ala Jason Kidd.
That could very well be the case, guys will get involved in the offense because of Ball, passing will be contagious. I really really hope we stay in the top 2.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think Fultz is unselfish as well. He's not on Ball's level, but he's also a) dynamite as a scorer and b) played with worse teammates.

I'm not gonna get too worked up over the Fultz vs. Ball debate unless we land the #1 pick. The choice may very well be made for us.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Split T wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

A trio of Fultz/Booker/Ulis is so appealing to me. GIves you a lot of offensive versatility that I dont think Ball offers.
I am curios why Fultz offers more versatility than Ball? Ball can pass, defend, rebound, and shoot. I think people REALLY underestimate his shooting. He has never shot less that 36% from three in hs or college, and he takes alot of them, AND he's been taking them from NBA range since middle school. They just look at that form and think he is a bad shooter.

I think Ball is every bit as versatile. He did not score more at UCLA because he had all those shooters around he could pass to. Ball is superior on defense to Fultz and that really isnt close. Ball next to Booker or Ulis would be fine. He can play D on the other team's better player, covering for Booker's weakness and Ulis' stature. He can play the 2 because he does not need to dominate the ball to impact the game. He often gets assists as touch passes.

I like Fultz and I would be glad to get him. But there is a lot to say for Ball's versatility.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I like Fultz because he's better suited in the PnR game that dominates the NBA. He can get his shot at will, he's a good passer who looks for teammates which bodes well for playing with Booker and I believe he can play off the ball better than Ball can. I am not sold on the fact that Ball can play SG offensively, I think you're taking away what he does best and that seems like a waste.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ball has no midrange, in-between game. It's 3s or layups and if he's being guarded by NBA athletes, those 3s might not drop as often.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:That's not a bad trade idea. And it gives Portland something concrete of value in return.
Blazers have made the playoffs yet they have #15, #19 and #23. Cool position to be.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:Ball has no midrange, in-between game. It's 3s or layups and if he's being guarded by NBA athletes, those 3s might not drop as often.
Really? If they guy can take step back threes, I think getting that same kind of shot a bit closer to the rim would be possible too. But even if he doesn't, that's basically what Harden does for a living. Obviously you don't expect that kind of production, but I think he'll be fine (and supposedly he can do a ton of other stuff at both ends). On the other hand, do you see Fultz pimping NBA defenses? Say Wall, he certainly does, but is Fultz that elite athletically?

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
ShelC wrote:Ball has no midrange, in-between game. It's 3s or layups and if he's being guarded by NBA athletes, those 3s might not drop as often.
Really? If they guy can take step back threes, I think getting that same kind of shot a bit closer to the rim would be possible too. But even if he doesn't, that's basically what Harden does for a living. Obviously you don't expect that kind of production, but I think he'll be fine (and supposedly he can do a ton of other stuff at both ends). On the other hand, do you see Fultz pimping NBA defenses? Say Wall, he certainly does, but is Fultz that elite athletically?
I think it comes down to the way he shoots the ball - he winds up from the waist, so it's slow release, and it's not a high release point either so longer defenders can smother it pretty easy.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

We'll have to see if he can create enough space for himself. Kevin Martin scored a ton and his form was this kind of ugly too.