2017 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:I would hate to see them miss out on the next McCollum, Giannis, Gobert, Kawhi, Butler, Thomas, George, Nash, Stockton, Malone, Kobe, Booker ect..., because we are so focused on Ball, Fultz, Jackson, Tatum, Fox.
This happens almost every year, and this draft won't be any different.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Odds are we'll miss on whomever we pick, that's just how it goes.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Draft Express' latest mock has us taking Ball at 2, Bam Adebayo at 32 and Wesley Iwundu at 54:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Lots of interesting players available after the #32 pick as well.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Don't think adebayo will be there at 32, but I'd take him. I like iwundu as well.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Anyone intrigued by Frank Jackson or Hamidou Diallo?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Diallo? Yes. Jackson? Probably not.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Everyone's favorite sleeper, or maybe just mine, carried over his tournament form into the first day of the draft combine. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the mid-first round if he keeps this up.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/nba ... y-one-5928
JORDAN BELL, JUNIOR, PF/C, OREGON 13 points, 7 rebounds, 5 blocks, 5 assists, 3 turnovers, 5-7 2P, 3-5 FT, 25 1/2 minutes

Jordan Bell posted perhaps the most impressive stat-line of the entire day, doing a little bit of everything for his team, and like Frank Mason, seeing them completely collapse (+3 when in, -21 when out) once he went to the bench. He did all the usual things scouts have come to expect from him, flying around on both ends of the floor, protecting the rim both on the ball and rotating from the weakside, playing lockdown defense on PFs and Cs alike, closing out aggressively on the perimeter, and holding his ground in the post. He mixed that in with some nice flashes on offense, particularly with his passing on the move, and even finding some success with the ball in his hands on short isos and post-ups en-route to an efficient 13 points. It was beneficial for Bell to play such a solid game in front of quite a few NBA head coaches that likely had never seen him before, as his high-effort, but still very consistent and solid style has to be very attractive to teams looking to solidify their rotations picking in the late first or early second round portion of the draft.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think his 6'7 height will keep him out of the first, but I'm interested.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A video about Bell for those who haven't watched him much.

[youtube][/youtube]

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He's my first choice at 32, if he makes it that far. I'd even move up into the first round to pick him up, especially if they land in the top 2 and take a pg.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:A video about Bell for those who haven't watched him much.

[youtube][/youtube]
I really like this player. IMO he is a better version of PJ Tucker. Very versatile.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

In2ition wrote:He's my first choice at 32, if he makes it that far. I'd even move up into the first round to pick him up, especially if they land in the top 2 and take a pg.
I would move up if I could. Both second rounders and a future second to move up and get him, yep.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JCSunsfan wrote:
In2ition wrote:He's my first choice at 32, if he makes it that far. I'd even move up into the first round to pick him up, especially if they land in the top 2 and take a pg.
I would move up if I could. Both second rounders and a future second to move up and get him, yep.
I wonder about playing time if we draft him. He's probably more ready to play than Chriss or bender, but I don't know how we'd find minutes for everyone. I think he's a good prospect though.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:I wonder about playing time if we draft him. He's probably more ready to play than Chriss or bender, but I don't know how we'd find minutes for everyone. I think he's a good prospect though.
We do have a log jam at the 4-5 positions, but I think Bell could play at the 3 with the right pieces around him. He's certainly good enough defensively, I just worry about his ability to space the floor right now. I also think he'd be a great offensive fit with Chriss in a future small ball lineup, but they'd get torched in the NBA right now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm not as informed on bell as you, but I don't think he can play the 3. Defense wouldn't be an issue, but offensively I think he's strictly a 4/5.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He can't play the 3. We have a logjam now unless Chriss or Bender can evolve into centers. Bender can probably play the 3 now but that'd still leave Bell and Chriss at the 4. I also feel like Bell is a guy scouts love heading into the draft, but then you see how limited he is in the league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I know it's not up to you guys, but please: let's have fewer log jams going into this season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bender can't really play the 3 either. We're not doing him any favors playing him there. Again, he can hang there defensively in some situations, but he hurts us offensively there. In theory he's got some 3 skills, but he's not ready.

The one position we can't really draft is the 4. If we draft one, they better be able to play the 3 or 5.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think it would be best if Bender spend a fair amount of his court-time playing the 5 next season. If he and Chris play together, they should play as an interchangeable 4/5 combo, not a 3/4 combo.

A Bell/Chriss/Bender combo is actually pretty intriguing defensively, where all 3 guys can switch any position and guard along the perimeter. But offensively that group would put too much of a strain on the backcourt as none of them can reliably generate offense for themselves or others (Bender can a little, but not enough).

carey

Post by carey »

I guess I don't understand why Bender can't play the 3. He can defend the 3 just fine. Once he starts hitting his outside shots consistently he can be a player you can put anywhere from 3 to 5. Now if you want to argue it's more advantageous to put him at the 4 and use his quickness to beat bigger guys I can buy that. Or if you want to say he's not ready to use his size to punish smaller 3's yet I can buy that too. I can't get behind the idea that we couldn't run him as a SF if we chose to do so. He runs the floor, he passes, he defends. What exactly can't he do that SFs do in the modern NBA?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!