The Earl Watson Report

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: The Earl Watson Report

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote: 2 things about that:
Tucker played 17 of his 33 minutes at PF last night.
Looks like the "Bender is a 3" farce didn't even make it to the new year.
I don't get why they don't try Bender at SF. He is scary weak at the moment, but he can hold his own against many types of forwards. Tucker should be traded, so you can play Bender, Chriss and Dudley in a reduced role.

Look, I can respect a coach for thinking that the kids need to earn it against a veteran like Tucker, but today Dudley is a better player than Tucker, if you are going to play them at PF.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Since Nash left its been mostly one on one basketball with the Suns. They seem to be getting a little better at team basketball but towards the end of the game it always goes back to one on one. Not sure of that is just the thpe of players we have or they just aren't diciplined or coached enough. They have been trying the pick and roll with a little more success than the start of the season where their passes to the big man were way off.

If I had to pick our two biggest weaknesses I would say defense and passing. Our passing has been bad. Too many lazy passes getting picked off. The passes when they do connect take so long to get there that the defense has ample time to recover. Also the passes hit the guy in awkward ways where he has to go get it instead of hitting him in a spot he can do something with it right away once again allowing the defender to recover.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

We are dead last in passing, and it's been basically the case for three season or so. The reason is pretty clear by this point.

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

The UCLA thing made me think this thread may have some relevance again. It makes sense when you think that Watson has a three year contract and one of, if not the, lowest paid coaches in the NBA. He could make more and develop young men like he spoke about In an interview after the news conference after he signed his coaching contract, Watson said he had wanted to be a coach from the moment, as a UCLA freshman, he walked into John Wooden's condominium. "The way he spoke to me and the way he talked to me inspired me to be more than just a basketball player," Watson said, "to one day have the ability to connect, reach young people, inspire, change lives, however you want to put it, to make them a better man." I think he would do great to go back to college and get some experience under his belt. Watson is not ready to be an NBA coach yet for anything better then a struggling rebuilding team he is perfect for that. I think he would get killed in the playoffs in fact him not making the playoffs the last couple of years may be the best thing that ever happened to his NBA coaching career.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Golly, I'd miss him.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Can we re-hire Alvin Gentry? Pwetty pweeeaaasseee...

Can't wait to see the turds we interview should Watson leave.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Golly, I'd miss him.
I will buy the Kleenex, we can weep together, if it happens.

The joy will be hard to stop.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Can we re-hire Alvin Gentry? Pwetty pweeeaaasseee...

Can't wait to see the turds we interview should Watson leave.
:shock:
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

How can we replace a legendary coach like Watson?

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Ring_Wanted wrote:We are dead last in passing, and it's been basically the case for three season or so. The reason is pretty clear by this point.
Bledsoe?

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

UglyTruth wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:We are dead last in passing, and it's been basically the case for three season or so. The reason is pretty clear by this point.
Bledsoe?
& Knight?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:How can we replace a legendary coach like Watson?
You're right. And this is just the beginning. You can't.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

What's strange is that he's kind of grown on me over the year, but I still wouldn't be that upset if he were to leave for UCLA.

While I like Gentry, I don't want him back. N.O. is a mess but if you can't build a credible offense around AD for 2 years then I think you may have lost your mojo.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:What's strange is that he's kind of grown on me over the year, but I still wouldn't be that upset if he were to leave for UCLA.

While I like Gentry, I don't want him back. N.O. is a mess but if you can't build a credible offense around AD for 2 years then I think you may have lost your mojo.
Agreed
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If we were to lose him to UCLA, the chances of us ending up with a worse coach are high. If it came down to it, Majerle has been mentioned, and I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him. I've been really impressed with what he's done with GCU. He would be able to continue to mentor the fighting spirit and togetherness that our team has embraced.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

I'm not sure Dan and the organization have patched things up. Dan was not at Al McCoy night and instead chose to spend the night with his team who were preparing to but not playing that night. The team easily could have chartered him in and out of wherever he was for an important event such as that.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:I'm not sure Dan and the organization have patched things up. Dan was not at Al McCoy night and instead chose to spend the night with his team who were preparing to but not playing that night. The team easily could have chartered him in and out of wherever he was for an important event such as that.
But there is this:

http://www.nba.com/suns/video/teams/sun ... e-1264611/
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:I'm not sure Dan and the organization have patched things up. Dan was not at Al McCoy night and instead chose to spend the night with his team who were preparing to but not playing that night. The team easily could have chartered him in and out of wherever he was for an important event such as that.
But there is this:

http://www.nba.com/suns/video/teams/sun ... e-1264611/
Sweatshirt and six o'clock shadow? If he didn't have enough time to shave and put on a nice shirt before recording a video message, he probably didn't have enough time to fly in either.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I was not bothered at all for him not being there considering they already traveled out for the game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AFAIK, they have patched things up. I've seen Majerle at the arena on numerous occasions and he still talks Suns when interviewed by the AZSports radio guys.
"Be Legendary."