The Earl Watson Report

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
sunshoopjunky

Re: The Earl Watson Report

Post by sunshoopjunky »

I would still like to see Jim Boylen at the reigns of a young team and I wouldn't mind if it was ours. I don't think he would be that expensive. He has a ring. He has been on the sidelines for many playoff games and he has been an assistant under some studs. I think he could be a fit here if Watson leaves. I don't think they should fire Watson we will be at the end of his contract when we make the playoffs again anyway.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

TOO

Post by TOO »

sunshoopjunky wrote:I would still like to see Jim Boylen at the reigns of a young team and I wouldn't mind if it was ours. I don't think he would be that expensive. He has a ring. He has been on the sidelines for many playoff games and he has been an assistant under some studs. I think he could be a fit here if Watson leaves. I don't think they should fire Watson we will be at the end of his contract when we make the playoffs again anyway.
He's had a towel thrown at him, he'd fit right in here.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

My targets would be Chris Finch from Houston or Nate Tibbets from Portland. Messina would be a solid shout too, I don't really care for any of the potential re-treads out there. Tony Bennett from UVA could be a solid option too.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

the 2015-16 to 2016-17 Suns are the worst 2-year period in Suns history. 45-109, .292

Earl Watson's career record - 31-74, .295

Suns coaches who have coached 100+ games -

Paul Westphal - 191-88, .685 (coached in 1993 Finals)
Mike D'Antoni - 253-136, .650
Cotton Fitzsimmons - 341-208, .621 (three coaching tenures)
Danny Ainge - 136-90, .602
Scott Skiles - 116-79, .595
Alvin Gentry - 158-144, .523
John MacLeod - 579-543, .516 (most Suns victories, coached in 1976 Finals)
Jeff Hornacek - 101-112, .474
Earl Watson - 31-74, .295
Red Kerr - 31-89, .258 (expansion coach)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Seriously, who really would want Watson as a head coach at this point. Oh yeah he is an (underpaid?????????????????) head coach, that is Sarver's sweet spot. I really have no idea what qualifies him to even be in the conversation about becoming the UCLA head coach. They have an even better history than Indiana and lots more beaches and movie stars.

Alford would be a fool to go back to Indiana, but they surely could use him. Hell Butler kicks Indiana's ass these days.

However, we can hope.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No worries, Phoenix faithful:

http://www.nba.com/games/20170324/PHXBOS#/preview
Earlier in the day, general manager Ryan McDonough took to the airwaves in Phoenix concerning the fate of coach Earl Watson, rumored to be a candidate if the UCLA job becomes available. Watson is in the first year of a three-year contract.

"It really hasn't come up yet; it hasn't come across our radar," McDonough told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Obviously, I know what's out there. Look, we love Coach Watson and the job he's done with our young group. He's really connected with our young players, they play hard every night.

"He and his staff were here pretty much all summer working with our players, building relationships with them, developing them. ... We fully expect him to be the coach here for a long time. That would be our preference; that would be my preference."
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:No worries, Phoenix faithful:

Earlier in the day, general manager Ryan McDonough took to the airwaves in Phoenix concerning the fate of coach Earl Watson, rumored to be a candidate if the UCLA job becomes available. Watson is in the first year of a three-year contract.

"It really hasn't come up yet; it hasn't come across our radar," McDonough told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Obviously, I know what's out there. Look, we love Coach Watson and the job he's done with our young group. He's really connected with our young players, they play hard every night.

"He and his staff were here pretty much all summer working with our players, building relationships with them, developing them. ... We fully expect him to be the coach here for a long time. That would be our preference; that would be my preference."
Keep in mind the guy saying this is slated to have his contract run out in 3 months.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:

Keep in mind the guy saying this is slated to have his contract run out in 3 months.
My guess is that there is a 96% chance it will be renewed.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

My guess is that there is a 96% chance it will be renewed.
Your optimism is out of control. 95.4%
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Won-Lost record under each Suns General Manager -

Jerry Colangelo 1968-69 to 1993-94 - 1,104-886, .555
Bryan Colangelo 1993-94 to 2005-06 - 516-468, .524
Robert Sarver 2005-06 - 5-1, .833
Mike D'Antoni 2005-06 to 2006-07 - 73-31, .701
Steve Kerr 2006-07 to 2009-10 - 216-112, .659
Lance Blanks 2010-11 to 2012-13 - 98-132, .426
Lon Babby 2013 - 0-0, .000
Ryan McDonough 2013-14 to 2016-17 - 132-186, .415

All winning records through Steve Kerr, all losing records since.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Reports are that the Alford to Indiana is a done deal already. They are just waiting until after the tourney to announce it.

Big money. His alma mater. Prospect of having to deal with the Ball family for the next few years. Why not go?

TOO

Post by TOO »

I dont think Watson has earned a big money deal. I like the guy, and his personality probably fits college better, but if I'm UCLA, there are better candidates.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I dont think Watson has earned a big money deal. I like the guy, and his personality probably fits college better, but if I'm UCLA, there are better candidates.
Better he gets it there than here.....

TOO

Post by TOO »

The Bobster wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I dont think Watson has earned a big money deal. I like the guy, and his personality probably fits college better, but if I'm UCLA, there are better candidates.
Better he gets it there than here.....
You're not wrong.

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
sunshoopjunky wrote:I would still like to see Jim Boylen at the reigns of a young team and I wouldn't mind if it was ours. I don't think he would be that expensive. He has a ring. He has been on the sidelines for many playoff games and he has been an assistant under some studs. I think he could be a fit here if Watson leaves. I don't think they should fire Watson we will be at the end of his contract when we make the playoffs again anyway.
He's had a towel thrown at him, he'd fit right in here.
:lol:
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Its very likely that Alford goes to Indiana.
Its very likely that Watson would take the UCLA job if offered.
I am not sure how likely it would be that he would be offered that job.

carey

Post by carey »

JCSunsfan wrote:Its very likely that Alford goes to Indiana.
Its very likely that Watson would take the UCLA job if offered.
I am not sure how likely it would be that he would be offered that job.
I'm more worried Miller gets offered the job the way he's owned UCLA lately. However, that Sweet 16 loss is going to sting.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

If im UCLA, I offer Mark Few whatever he wants.

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:If im UCLA, I offer Mark Few whatever he wants.
There's virtually little difference between Few and Miller except Few should finally be the first of the two to break through to the FF.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Few loves the Northwest and he has a great thing going at Gonzaga. He doesn't need to go to UCLA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass