Game Day: Pelicans (23-34) @ Suns (33-24) , Fri 2/28/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Game Day: Pelicans (23-34) @ Suns (33-24) , Fri 2/28/14

Post by INFORMER »

Wally_West wrote:I don’t understand why Pelicans didn't go to Davis more down the stretch. The dude was beasting all night.
How does Monty Williams not call a time out and drill it into his guys: GET DAVIS THE BALL.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
carey wrote:I'm a big fan of Gruden
He's exceptional. The best thing about him is that he's a simple guy. He loves football. He doesn't have an agenda. He's not trying to prove how smart he is; he isn't auditioning for another head coaching job; and he isn't trying to hype ESPN or the NFL. He just loves football, knows football, and wants to talk about it.
For 5m per year, he's got it made.
Totally. He could have a head coaching job tomorrow if he wanted one too. I personally don't think he'll ever coach again.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:
Wally_West wrote:I don’t understand why Pelicans didn't go to Davis more down the stretch. The dude was beasting all night.
How does Monty Williams not call a time out and drill it into his guys: GET DAVIS THE BALL.
He's pretty terrible. I mean, they haven't given him a great team by any means, but he's not very good. I thought maybe he was going to make his mark as a defensive coach when he first started with them, but they are just as horrible defensively as they are offensively.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:Time: 10:30 pm EST (7:30 pm Pacific, 8:30 pm Arizona)
Place: US Airways Center, Phoenix, AZ
TV: ESPN

Not much room for error in the tough Western Conference. This is not a great time to be on a three game losing streak and we need to get back in gear. AFAIK, Dragic is still a game time decision.

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
Okay, I think the results speak for themselves. Superbone makes the Game Day thread like in the old days, and then Dragic gets a career high 40 and the Suns win. It's pretty clear who needs to make the threads from now on. :-)

Also, can I just say, it is F**KING BULLS**T that Dragic was not an all-star. He has been an absolute beast all season long. How could they leave him off that team?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:Time: 10:30 pm EST (7:30 pm Pacific, 8:30 pm Arizona)
Place: US Airways Center, Phoenix, AZ
TV: ESPN

Not much room for error in the tough Western Conference. This is not a great time to be on a three game losing streak and we need to get back in gear. AFAIK, Dragic is still a game time decision.

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
Okay, I think the results speak for themselves. Superbone makes the Game Day thread like in the old days, and then Dragic gets a career high 40 and the Suns win. It's pretty clear who needs to make the threads from now on. :-)

Also, can I just say, it is F**KING BULLS**T that Dragic was not an all-star. He has been an absolute beast all season long. How could they leave him off that team?
Dragic sure got some due tonight - for the first time in his career, his fans started the "MVP" chant. If that were me, I'd take that as a much bigger compliment than any all-star selection.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Any win is pure gold now, but this one was quite ugly. Can you believe the key was in a sequence in the 4Q when we grabbed like four offensive rebounds off missed three after missed three? Crazy.

Still don't play defense for the better part of the game, and that's unacceptable given our limited offense and rebounding.

Ok. I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Three more games at home, but against Atlanta (free falling, must win) then LAC and OKC. The Grizzlies and the Mavs gave us a break last night, so there's that.

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

Yeah the defense is really becoming a problem. I'm not even sure where to point the finger anymore. Our bigs are obviously not doing a great job on pick and rolls, but it's not like our guards are keeping guys out of the paint either. Maybe we need to start doubling or at least doing some quick trapping on pick and rolls, especially with Plumlee. I guess Frye's too slow to do that. I don't think it's a coincidence we've had such bad 1st quarters with those two guys starting the game.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't want to sound like a mediocre coach, but I've noticed a drastic drop in the overall intensity, in some cases borderline indifference. Like 'we are better on O so it doesn't matter if my man scores'. Well, flash news, we are not the 2005-6 Suns, and we are not winning absolutely any game on sheer offensive talent, as evidenced against the Jazz.

In particular, I've been 'yelling' at Kieff, Green, Frye and Miles. Sometimes even Goran, but he is the only one who gets anything remotely close to a pass since, well, he is 75% of our offense right now. Also, Ish is a midget so he gets taken advantage of quite easily, but at least he is trying his best and it shows. I wouldn't conplain if Barbosa gets to share his minutes next game, although I know I am not in the majority when I say that I've been ok with Barbs more ofter than not so far.

If it is a case of burning out and you can't play Len, Christmas or Slava, the only thing you can try is to slow down the pace and take your time on offense so you hopefully get better looks and at least don't have to go back to (not) defending quickly.

If it is a matter of focus, anyone who is blatantly ignoring defense has to go to the bench for a while to learn a lesson, no matter the cost because at this pace we are not making the playoffs by any means.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Just hit the other board and its another GDT full of Tucker bashing, SMH.
I couldn't stand that over there. So ridiculous. So grateful to Mori for getting this going and for most of the old gang back here posting.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Just hit the other board and its another GDT full of Tucker bashing, SMH.
I couldn't stand that over there. So ridiculous. So grateful to Mori for getting this going and for most of the old gang back here posting.
You and I both.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:I hate how ESPN's people talk about their games like they're marketing.

Sage Steele isn't working either. The chemistry of that studio crew is non-existent. And she needs to stop the attempts at humor. She never seems to be on the same page as everyone else, the exchanges always seem sloppy and awkward, etc. It just isn't good.

ESPN always seems to have no clue how to manage and use their talent. Doug Collins should not be in the studio; he needs to be on color commentary. Doris Burke is excellent at color commentary, but they throw her in on sideline reporting and studio hosting. Why?! She's a bad fit for both. Just let her be a color commentator.
Spot on, INF. ESPN's a mess with their NBA coverage.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Big Jake Little Jake wrote:Yeah the defense is really becoming a problem. I'm not even sure where to point the finger anymore. Our bigs are obviously not doing a great job on pick and rolls, but it's not like our guards are keeping guys out of the paint either. Maybe we need to start doubling or at least doing some quick trapping on pick and rolls, especially with Plumlee. I guess Frye's too slow to do that. I don't think it's a coincidence we've had such bad 1st quarters with those two guys starting the game.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
Sit Gerald Green in timeout?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I hate how ESPN's people talk about their games like they're marketing.

Sage Steele isn't working either. The chemistry of that studio crew is non-existent. And she needs to stop the attempts at humor. She never seems to be on the same page as everyone else, the exchanges always seem sloppy and awkward, etc. It just isn't good.

ESPN always seems to have no clue how to manage and use their talent. Doug Collins should not be in the studio; he needs to be on color commentary. Doris Burke is excellent at color commentary, but they throw her in on sideline reporting and studio hosting. Why?! She's a bad fit for both. Just let her be a color commentator.
This will probably come off sexist, but I really cannot take women doing games. Especially when they get excited and start yelling like they are Kevin Harlan, nope, just can't do it.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I enjoy a bit of attitude, and yes I know he instigated it. Dragic got a T, I had no complaints.
I agree. I like the feistiness even if he's the aggressor. It's nice to have that on the Suns for a change versus always getting punked.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote: Well, flash news
It's "news flash," R_W. :)

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote: Well, flash news
It's "news flash," R_W. :)
Wanted_Ring
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Superbone wrote:

This will probably come off sexist, but I really cannot take women doing games. Especially when they get excited and start yelling like they are Kevin Harlan, nope, just can't do it.
Doris Burke doesn't do that though.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Full highlights of Dragic's 40 point game:

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

^^^You gonna welcome me in, or, remain a stiff prick? Ain't a decade in your doghouse enough penance, Swingy? C'mon, lets bury the old proverbial hatchet. What say, old horse?

- Cubby