Game Day: Suns (14-29) @ Raptors (28-15), Sun 1/22/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Gladiator

Re: Game Day: Suns (14-29) @ Raptors (28-15), Sun 1/22/17

Post by Gladiator »

carey wrote:17 min Chriss. 4 min Bender. 6 min Ulis.
We're within touching distance of the 8th seed in the west.
(Management thinking, not my endorsement)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Watson is looking to win games, not develop players.

The front office is going to have to remove the option to play them by trading them off, otherwise this is what we get.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The first rule of being a GM is never fall in love with your players.

Watson obviously loves Tucker and Chandler so if you want the young players to play instead they're going to have to move them.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kind of stunned that we won this. I guess it's good that our team is putting together some wins and isn't having a totally hopeless season. And if Warren would get his shit together, we would be even better. (4 points tonight. What is the deal, seriously?)

40 points, 13 assists, 6 rebounds for Bledsoe. That is a pretty gaudy stat line. Maybe the best game of his whole career thus far. That looks almost like a Russell Westbrook stat line. Wow.

Here's the box score for anybody interested:

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400900084

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

In all fairness, Bender got injured.

carey

Post by carey »

UglyTruth wrote:
What?? What happened? I'm just getting home.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Kind of stunned that we won this. I guess it's good that our team is putting together some wins and isn't having a totally hopeless season. And if Warren would get his s*** together, we would be even better. (4 points tonight. What is the deal, seriously?)

40 points, 13 assists, 6 rebounds for Bledsoe. That is a pretty gaudy stat line. Maybe the best game of his whole career thus far. That looks almost like a Russell Westbrook stat line. Wow.

The Suns kept Toronto to less than 40%FG which is impressive

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

carey wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
What?? What happened? I'm just getting home.
Apparently an ankle injury. Hopefully it's not too serious.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

The Bobster wrote:
Watson is looking to win games, not develop players.

The front office is going to have to remove the option to play them by trading them off, otherwise this is what we get.
Suns are 3.5 games back from the #8 seed now. I think management will let this play out as long as they can before removing the option.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Didn't see the game (watching football). Of course I look up the box score and the first thing I check is BK's +/-. +17?!

His previous season high was +12, in a game at Utah that he basically lost single-handedly down the stretch despite his good +/-. His second-highest was +8.

So a +17... that just doesn't happen for him. Wow.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Didn't see the 2nd half. Why are we winning games? :)
I said it above. We're playing like a real team. Even Knight contributed. Bledsoe hit his prime today. He was almost perfect. He spoiled it a little late with an airball three. ;)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Kind of stunned that we won this. I guess it's good that our team is putting together some wins and isn't having a totally hopeless season. And if Warren would get his s*** together, we would be even better. (4 points tonight. What is the deal, seriously?)

Warren's been trash for couple games in a row now.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

You'd never guess we beat the 2nd seed in the east today on the road by 12. Let's celebrate a great win instead of trouncing it as a lost opportunity to develop our youth.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Cap wrote:Didn't see the game (watching football). Of course I look up the box score and the first thing I check is BK's +/-. +17?!

His previous season high was +12, in a game at Utah that he basically lost single-handedly down the stretch despite his good +/-. His second-highest was +8.

So a +17... that just doesn't happen for him. Wow.
We've been playing him exclusively as a 2 guard. And... it's better that way. Knight earned TJ's minutes in the fourth tonight. From where I sit, this season's only getting more interesting.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Bledose was terrific today.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz wrote:Bledose was terrific today.
Absolutely. Maybe it just took time for him to mesh with this new team. He's really leading the team and playing like a PG lately. Dominant tonight.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

OE32

Post by OE32 »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Absolutely. Maybe it just took time for him to mesh with this new team. He's really leading the team and playing like a PG lately. Dominant tonight.
His passing has been much improved. His 3 is falling. He's great finishing at the basket. The plan is actually working. I don't think it's too late to make a run, but the Pelicans and the Nuggets are in this fight with us.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

OE32 wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
His passing has been much improved. His 3 is falling. He's great finishing at the basket. The plan is actually working. I don't think it's too late to make a run, but the Pelicans and the Nuggets are in this fight with us.
...and the Kings and the Wolves and the Blazers and the Mavs.

Long term, I think making a run for the playoffs is the wrong move for this team. If 8th-seed-and-down in the West wasn't such a dumpster fire this season, it wouldn't even be an option.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz wrote:
OE32 wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Long term, I think making a run for the playoffs is the wrong move for this team. If 8th-seed-and-down in the West wasn't such a dumpster fire this season, it wouldn't even be an option.
What's the suggestion then? I think the players and coaches, as humans that are competitive and stake a large part of their overall satisfaction with life on their success in basketball, would prefer to beat the other team on the court and make a run at the playoffs. Should they just revert back to playing bad basketball like they were earlier in the year or let the process take course as it has which has led to a much more competitive and entertaining team that is building chemistry through success and familiarity.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
OE32 wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

What's the suggestion then? I think the players and coaches, as humans that are competitive and stake a large part of their overall satisfaction with life on their success in basketball, would prefer to beat the other team on the court and make a run at the playoffs. Should they just revert back to playing bad basketball like they were earlier in the year or let the process take course as it has which has led to a much more competitive and entertaining team that is building chemistry through success and familiarity.
Trade Tucker and Knight. More minutes for Len. Let the chips fall where they may.