Around the League: Week 14 1/23-1/29

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 14 1/23-1/29

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: New York @ Indiana 8:00PM EST TNT
Tuesday: San Antonio @ Toronto 7:00PM ESTNBATv
Wednesday: Golden State @ Charlotte 8:00PM EST ESPN, L.A. Lakers @ Portland 10:30PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Dallas @ OKC 8:00PM EST TNT, L.A. Lakers @ Utah 10:30PM EST TNT
Friday: Houston @ Philadelphia 8:00PM EST ESPN
Saturday: L.A. Clippers @ Golden State 8:30PM EST ABC
Sunday: OKC @ Cleveland 3:30PM EST ABC, Washington @ New Orleans 6:00PM EST NBATv, Golden State @ Portland 9:00PM EST NBATv

NBA News

D.A. - Lakers navigate a sobering, somber (and educational) post-Kobe Bryant path:
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/01/23/m ... d-aldridge

Flannery - Even the Blazers can't figure out the Blazers: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/1/22/1 ... hootaround

How bold will the NBA be in Donald Trump’s America? - http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/20/14284 ... ver-brexit

Why the Rockets shoot very deep 3-pointers on purpose: http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/20/14284 ... ke-dantoni
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Re: Around the League: Week 14 1/23-1/29

Post by carey »

USA Today Power Rankings; http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /96920242/
T-27. Phoenix Suns (14-29) -1

The Suns may be at the bottom of the Western Conference standings, but Devin Booker gives them good reason to look forward to the future. Alongside Eric Bledsoe, who's in the midst of a career year of his own, the 20-year-old Booker is leading the Suns in scoring (20.5 points per game), three-pointers made (1.8 per game) and minutes (34.2).
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:USA Today Power Rankings; http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /96920242/

The Suns may be at the bottom of the Western Conference standings, but Devin Booker gives them good reason to look forward to the future. Alongside Eric Bledsoe, who's in the midst of a career year of his own, the 20-year-old Booker is leading the Suns in scoring (20.5 points per game), three-pointers made (1.8 per game) and minutes (34.2).
I haven't looked at the numbers, but it feels like both Eric and Booker have been shooting +40% from three over the last couple of weeks. It is nice to see.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
carey wrote:USA Today Power Rankings; http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /96920242/

I haven't looked at the numbers, but it feels like both Eric and Booker have been shooting +40% from three over the last couple of weeks. It is nice to see.
Bledsoe in January: 24.0/8.4/5.2 while shooting .446/.388/.910 while attempting 4.9 3's and 7.8 free throws a game
Booker in January: 26.0/2.8/2.5 while shooting .484/.500/.855 while attempting 5.4 3's and 6.2 free throws a game

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That .500 number for Booker threes is particularly impressive especially at his volume.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:That .500 number for Booker threes is particularly impressive especially at his volume.

Yep! 27/54 in 10 games. He's got his season average up to 37%

Split T

Post by Split T »

What's the worst record a team has had and still made the playoffs? Denver is on pace to go about 35-47 and take the 8th seed. If we play at .500 over our final 38 games, we'd finish at 34-48. I still think someone will go on a run and maybe win 37 or 38 games to nab the 8th seed, but that's still an abysmal record. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas or Minny got it. I would include us, but I still think management makes some trades and we see more minutes for the youngsters down the stretch.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I really don't know what this management team is going to do.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Split T wrote:What's the worst record a team has had and still made the playoffs? Denver is on pace to go about 35-47 and take the 8th seed. If we play at .500 over our final 38 games, we'd finish at 34-48. I still think someone will go on a run and maybe win 37 or 38 games to nab the 8th seed, but that's still an abysmal record. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas or Minny got it. I would include us, but I still think management makes some trades and we see more minutes for the youngsters down the stretch.

1985-86 Chicago Bulls (30-52) is the record for the modern era.

Michael Jordan's second season was cut short by a broken foot which caused him to miss 64 games. Jordan recovered in time to participate in the playoffs. Against a 1985–86 Boston Celtics team that is often considered one of the best in NBA history, Jordan set a record for points in a playoff game with 63 in game 2.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

LazarusLong wrote:
Split T wrote:What's the worst record a team has had and still made the playoffs? Denver is on pace to go about 35-47 and take the 8th seed. If we play at .500 over our final 38 games, we'd finish at 34-48. I still think someone will go on a run and maybe win 37 or 38 games to nab the 8th seed, but that's still an abysmal record. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas or Minny got it. I would include us, but I still think management makes some trades and we see more minutes for the youngsters down the stretch.

1985-86 Chicago Bulls (30-52) is the record for the modern era.

Michael Jordan's second season was cut short by a broken foot which caused him to miss 64 games. Jordan recovered in time to participate in the playoffs. Against a 1985–86 Boston Celtics team that is often considered one of the best in NBA history, Jordan set a record for points in a playoff game with 63 in game 2.
This guy. :ugeek:

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:I really don't know what this management team is going to do.
At this rate I'd guess we stay the course with Chandler and Tucker, but still look to unload Knight. Recent form is trending towards 8th seed and another spot on the treadmill.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's so sad and pathetic that the FO would have any notions of making the playoffs. We are 2nd to last in the West with an abysmal record of 15-29. We've won a third of our games. At no point this season, not even for one quarter of one game, have I watched this team and thought, "This should be a playoff team right here."

Meanwhile there are several other teams that have more legitimate cases to make a run at the 8 seed: The Nuggets, currently in 8th, are extremely deep and talented, though without any one transcendent star; the Blazers have one of the league's best backcourts and were there last year; the Pelicans have a dynamic rookie and a star in Anthony Davis who is going to be a perennial All-Star and maybe MVP candidate; the Wolves may have the best collection of young talent, and one of the best coaches, in the NBA; the Mavs have one of the NBA's 2 best coaches, a most-improved player in Barnes, and a playoff pedigree; and so on. Pretty much any of these teams above us in the 8-14 range looks like a better bet to make it than we do.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:

Bledsoe in January: 24.0/8.4/5.2 while shooting .446/.388/.910 while attempting 4.9 3's and 7.8 free throws a game
Booker in January: 26.0/2.8/2.5 while shooting .484/.500/.855 while attempting 5.4 3's and 6.2 free throws a game
That is really impressive.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:It's so sad and pathetic that the FO would have any notions of making the playoffs. We are 2nd to last in the West with an abysmal record of 15-29. We've won a third of our games. At no point this season, not even for one quarter of one game, have I watched this team and thought, "This should be a playoff team right here."

Meanwhile there are several other teams that have more legitimate cases to make a run at the 8 seed: The Nuggets, currently in 8th, are extremely deep and talented, though without any one transcendent star; the Blazers have one of the league's best backcourts and were there last year; the Pelicans have a dynamic rookie and a star in Anthony Davis who is going to be a perennial All-Star and maybe MVP candidate; the Wolves may have the best collection of young talent, and one of the best coaches, in the NBA; the Mavs have one of the NBA's 2 best coaches, a most-improved player in Barnes, and a playoff pedigree; and so on. Pretty much any of these teams above us in the 8-14 range looks like a better bet to make it than we do.
I agree in theory with all of this. The problem is these teams that should be making runs at the 8th seed keep losing. I still don't think we should go all in on the playoffs as it still seems unlikely and the future is more important, but all it would take is playing .500 ball and we might get in. Obviously the coaching staff and players are going for it. It's hard for management to tell them no when they are only 3 games out. We really need one of these teams ahead of us to go on like a 11-2 tear and get a sizeable lead before the trade deadline.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:It's so sad and pathetic that the FO would have any notions of making the playoffs. We are 2nd to last in the West with an abysmal record of 15-29. We've won a third of our games. At no point this season, not even for one quarter of one game, have I watched this team and thought, "This should be a playoff team right here."

I don't think any of those teams are appreciably better than us, but I still think it's in our best interest to focus on youth this season, get a high pick and try and make that leap next season.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Miami defeated GSW. If that wasnsn't crazy enough, turns out it's happened despite Curry, Klay and Durant all scoring ar least 21 points. Dion Waiters 33 points and winning three on Thompson.

At the same time, Cleveland loses to the Pelicans despite LeBron and Love doing their thing, Irving scoring 49 AND Davis not playing. Terrence Jones and Jrue combined for 69 points.

How absurd.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Miami defeated GSW. If that wasnsn't crazy enough, turns out it's happened despite Curry, Klay and Durant all scoring ar least 21 points. Dion Waiters 33 points and winning three on Thompson.

At the same time, Cleveland loses to the Pelicans despite LeBron and Love doing their thing, Irving scoring 49 AND Davis not playing. Terrence Jones and Jrue combined for 69 points.

How absurd.
Pelicans are obviously a better team without Davis plus he's injury prone, should have traded him last year.

carey

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Miami defeated GSW. If that wasnsn't crazy enough, turns out it's happened despite Curry, Klay and Durant all scoring ar least 21 points. Dion Waiters 33 points and winning three on Thompson.
I can not wait to listen to LeBatard today. The local hour is going to be fantastic. The NBA is funny, man. In a 7 game series the team with the best players wins 99% of the time, but on any given night...
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's good for G-State to lose a few more meaningless games like this. The sooner they let go of the silly idea of having another 70-win season, the better off they'll be. They kind of have D'Antoni disease where they leave in Steph and KD and others with 2 minutes left when up by 25. They need to let go a little and rest some of their players.

And before somebody jumps in and quotes some stats about how "well actually," Steph plays not that many minutes etc., I didn't say they play too many total minutes. I am saying that he doesn't protect them by taking them out when the game's outcome is in hand. And he'll leave them in to the end if the game is close, even if it's a back-to-back, etc. He should be more protective of them using situational rest, regardless of total minutes played.

carey

Post by carey »

[youtube][/youtube]
LeBron did seem to admit that the grind of the regular season was playing a big part in the Cavs’ recent struggles, especially since the team relies on its stars so much. "The f*cking grind of the regular season," he said. "We’re a top-heavy team. We have a top-heavy team. We top-heavy as sh*t. It’s me, [Irving], [Kevin Love]. It’s top-heavy."

But he added that he believes the front office is going to need to make some moves soon. He was careful not to call out anyone in particular—"I’m not singling out anybody," he said—but he let it be known that Cavs general manager David Griffin and his team are going to need to get to work on bringing in some reinforcements.

"We need a f*cking playmaker," he said. "I’m not saying you can just go find one, like you can go outside and see trees. I didn’t say that."

http://www.complex.com/sports/2017/01/l ... e-struggle
I guess he doesn't consider Kyrie a playmaker? Or himself? Most teams don't have 2 elite playmakers let alone 1. What exactly does he want?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!