Around the League: Week 23 3/27 - 4/2

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Around the League: Week 23 3/27 - 4/2

Post by Mori Chu »

Post here for news of the week that isn't directly Suns-related. <3

Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week 23 3/27 - 4/2

Post by Mori Chu »

If you want a silly distraction, Enes Kanter and Steven Adams have a weird "show" on Twitter. They have a certain goofy insane charm to them.

https://twitter.com/Enes_Kanter/status/846407982082609152

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This isn't even NBA news, so maybe it should go in the General folder. But the Oakland Raiders are officially going to move to Las Vegas:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1901 ... roved-31-1

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's an article where Gregg Popovich is criticizing Adam Silver for speaking out about teams from resting players. Pop says that Silver could be straining his relationships with teams by being so outspoken on the issue. Pop, of course, is Exhibit A in the resting-players prosecution's case.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-antonio-sp ... o-popovich

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Here's an article where Gregg Popovich is criticizing Adam Silver for speaking out about teams from resting players. Pop says that Silver could be straining his relationships with teams by being so outspoken on the issue. Pop, of course, is Exhibit A in the resting-players prosecution's case.

Who gives a fuck what Pop thinks about this? Someone has to stick up for the fans. Not everyone waits until the last minute to buy tickets. I know Silver is only bowing to pressure from corporations but the ad money and fans money are in line on this one.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Here's an article where Gregg Popovich is criticizing Adam Silver for speaking out about teams from resting players. Pop says that Silver could be straining his relationships with teams by being so outspoken on the issue. Pop, of course, is Exhibit A in the resting-players prosecution's case.

Who gives a fuck what Pop thinks about this? Someone has to stick up for the fans. Not everyone waits until the last minute to buy tickets. I know Silver is only bowing to pressure from corporations but the ad money and fans money are in line on this one.
It is just a classic example of competing priorities. If the ultimate success in your career is winning a championship, or being close to it for years on end, you play the odds. I haven't reviewed it myself, but I have read that the analytics indicated player fatigue (not tiredness from game to game, but actual pro-longed muscle fatigue) leads to more injuries. If you don't care if you win the battle today to try and win the war later, you rest guys.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I feel like Pop has a belief everyone should think like him, and it doesn't matter who is playing, you should enjoy watching the people with the name on the front of the jersey. He is only doing this for the benefit of his team, and everyone else that buys a ticket should just accept that his players aren't going to play from time to time, and that definitely includes his best players if he feels the need to give them the day off for whatever reason. Just buy your ticket, cheer, but otherwise STFU.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:I feel like Pop has a belief everyone should think like him
I feel like most people believe that about themselves.

You should feel that way too.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:I feel like Pop has a belief everyone should think like him
I feel like most people believe that about themselves.

You should feel that way too.
Nah, I don't think I'm infallible, which probably everyone agrees with. ;)
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's Pop's job to keep his guys ready for the playoffs, and it is Silver's job to make sure the league is entertaining and marketable and that controversy is the right kind of controversy. Both guys are doing their jobs, and so there's going to be some disagreement because they have different areas they focus on. My opinion: go ahead and rest your guys, but not for a big game. Rest them against a bad team on a night when you aren't on national TV.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:It's Pop's job to keep his guys ready for the playoffs, and it is Silver's job to make sure the league is entertaining and marketable and that controversy is the right kind of controversy. Both guys are doing their jobs, and so there's going to be some disagreement because they have different areas they focus on. My opinion: go ahead and rest your guys, but not for a big game. Rest them against a bad team on a night when you aren't on national TV.
Which isn't what teams are doing. It will wind up being mandated that you can only rest on the 2nd night of a back to back and they'll stop scheduling those games as marquee national Tv matchups. Problem fixed.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

I listened to NBA Lockdown with Amin, Stein, and Windhorst from Sunday and they didn't mention Booker's 70-point game once. Strange.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

How can you enforce no resting? They would just change it to knee soreness, flu-like symptoms or a simple dnp-cd.

carey

Post by carey »

Hermen wrote:How can you enforce no resting? They would just change it to knee soreness, flu-like symptoms or a simple dnp-cd.
And you just found the loop-hole in record time. I don't know what the fix is, but that is the rumored proposal for fixing it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Can't there be a middle ground here? Like maybe play the star players during the first quarter then sit them for the rest of game. Fans still get to see the star players they payed to see and the coaches still get to rest them.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The issue is resting all of your star players on the same night, which is absolute bullshit. There's no reason for it and doing so is a slap in the face to the fans. On a team like the Warriors, if Curry needs a night off, Durant, Klay and Draymond are more than capable of carrying the load. Same with the Cavs. And the stars should make it a point to play their games against the opposing conference where fans only get to see them once a year.

There don't need to be strict rules around this, but an understanding between the league, ownership, coaches and players. The NBA is the most player friendly league in the world and these guys are taking advantage. The league's worked to make the schedule more player friendly, stretching the schedule, getting rid of B2Bs. Think back 20 years when guys weren't making even 10 million dollars (what scrubs are making now), played back to backs throughout the year, didn't have the training staff or technology for recovery, or the other luxuries these guys are afforded.

I understand player care and having rested players leads to a better product. I get teams being in the business of winning championships and wanting to protect their guys. But this is overkill.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:The issue is resting all of your star players on the same night, which is absolute bullshit. There's no reason for it and doing so is a slap in the face to the fans. On a team like the Warriors, if Curry needs a night off, Durant, Klay and Draymond are more than capable of carrying the load. Same with the Cavs. And the stars should make it a point to play their games against the opposing conference where fans only get to see them once a year.
I'd say avoid resting stars in road games altogether. A road game against a conference opponent could still turn out to be many paying fans' only opportunity to see the star player in person. A home game is played in front of fans most of whom see their star play often, and who might even appreciate the chance to see the end-of-bench players who don't ordinarily play.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

A coach needs the freedom to play his players as he sees fit. If there's any fixes to be made they're going to have to be on the league's schedule.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think a simple fix would be, if you sit a player out a game for any reason, then he must stay out for a minimum of 2-3 games. If he's actually injured, that would be just fine; and if you're fake resting him, now you have to sit him out for multiple games and it's risky to do that. Problem solved.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think a simple fix would be, if you sit a player out a game for any reason, then he must stay out for a minimum of 2-3 games. If he's actually injured, that would be just fine; and if you're fake resting him, now you have to sit him out for multiple games and it's risky to do that. Problem solved.
Interesting and not bad at all.