Around the League: Week 23 3/27 - 4/2

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 23 3/27 - 4/2

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:Ya gotta learn to distinguish the edit and quote buttons.
Haha, I didn't realize I did that. I was thinking, "who is he talking about?" I have my font so small and my eyes have recently taken a turn for the worse. Now my nearsightedness ain't to good no more.
You've been "fixed". Enjoy your new life. ;)
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

BBall breakdown breaks down why the Cavs defense is so bad. He thinks the Celtics will retain the #1 seed.

[youtube][/youtube]
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the rumors of the Cavs' decline are greatly exaggerated. The Cavs are coasting into the playoffs to save energy and will hit another gear once the postseason starts. Their defense isn't spectacular, but it'll have a lot more hustle and effort to it in a few weeks. I don't think Boston will beat a team like Cleveland in a series; they're too young, not ready for that kind of success yet. Doing it in the regular season is one thing, and doing it on the big stage is something else entirely.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I think most of this is journalists manufacturing something out of nothing. I can't imagine anyone is really worried that the Cavs' empire is crumbling.

carey

Post by carey »

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43768436&nid=294

The Jazz GM goes public with officiating issues on Woj's podcast.
"The data does tell us at times, that when we're grabbed, held, pushed or pulled, it's about every third or fourth game that it's not appropriately called, we'll suffer from what's called a high-discrepancy game, which we define as a margin of four or more missed calls in either direction," Lindsey explained.

"Over a three-year period, the high-discrepancy games were 12-72 against us," Lindsey said.

Why is that the case? The data shows that many of the calls that are missed are due to the Jazz moving bodies around the floor on their lengthy offensive possessions, cutting and screening for each other. Opposing teams have found success by "grabbing, holding, pushing or pulling" the Jazz, and getting them out of those motions, even though they're committing fouls.

The Jazz feel that the referees aren't biased against their franchise, coach, or players, but against their style of play. And the league isn't instructing its officials on how to correctly adjudicate that movement-oriented style.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

carey wrote:http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43768436&nid=294

"The data does tell us at times, that when we're grabbed, held, pushed or pulled, it's about every third or fourth game that it's not appropriately called, we'll suffer from what's called a high-discrepancy game, which we define as a margin of four or more missed calls in either direction," Lindsey explained.

"Over a three-year period, the high-discrepancy games were 12-72 against us," Lindsey said.

Why is that the case? The data shows that many of the calls that are missed are due to the Jazz moving bodies around the floor on their lengthy offensive possessions, cutting and screening for each other. Opposing teams have found success by "grabbing, holding, pushing or pulling" the Jazz, and getting them out of those motions, even though they're committing fouls.

The Jazz feel that the referees aren't biased against their franchise, coach, or players, but against their style of play. And the league isn't instructing its officials on how to correctly adjudicate that movement-oriented style.
Isn't this what happened to Curry in the finals? He was roughed up when he was off the ball.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

pickle wrote:I think most of this is journalists manufacturing something out of nothing. I can't imagine anyone is really worried that the Cavs' empire is crumbling.
BINGO. Where do think at least half of the trade rumors originate? A couple of beat writers having drinks one night, spitballing some ideas ....
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Hermen wrote:
carey wrote:http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43768436&nid=294

Isn't this what happened to Curry in the finals? He was roughed up when he was off the ball.
Same thing with Nash, same with any passing and movement oriented offense. As much as I hate agreeing with the Jazz, it's pretty obvious that the way games are called favor one on one basketball and having the ball handler be the only moving guy. Popovic has found a way to have a passing team that is also the team fouling off the ball, and that is part of their success. But other teams that move a lot just have to play through that much more contact.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kings @ Lakers tonight. Good chance to "gain" a game on the Lakers in the lottery race.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Lakers showed quite a strong effort of tanking the other night, but Pop out-tanked the tankers and forced the Lakers to get a W on him. I enjoyed that. I hope the Lakers get one more W to really put them over the top. This might be the night, but I would expect to see a lot of Metta World Artest and other knuckleheads out there. They may bring DJ Mbenga out of retirement just for the night.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So Portland's playing Utah and trying to hold onto their 8th spot. Dame Lillard has 26 points...in the 1st quarter.

carey

Post by carey »

Dame dropped 59 points with 9 made 3s in a win against the Jazz.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Dame dropped 59 points with 9 made 3s in a win against the Jazz.
He had 58 and got fouled while shooting a three pointer but only made 1 of 3 free throws.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have never been a huge Lillard fan, but that's an amazing stat line and amazing game.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I am also not a Lillard fan, but probably only because he doesn't play for the Suns. I do respect his game. He's a heck of a player.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow. Cavs just had an epic meltdown. They had a big lead late in the fourth and blew it. The Hawks took their FIRST lead of the game with 1:12 left in OT and just won the game. Wow.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:Wow. Cavs just had an epic meltdown. They had a big lead late in the fourth and blew it. The Hawks took their FIRST lead of the game with 1:12 left in OT and just won the game. Wow.

https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/851195573461950464

I saw this, pretty crazy.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

EDC

Post by EDC »

I still think fouling out shouldn't be a thing. It is stupid that fans pay big money to watch some players that end up being sidelined by early calls that could go either way. It just hurts the brand and doesn't give the fans what they want to see.

Refs are not perfect and a mistake at the wrong time has too big of an impact. Minimizing it is important. We would still have end of the game calls that have big impact but at least the best players aren't side lined for most of the game because of a call.

This would also lessen the effect of superstar calls. Refs let the stars get away with things because they are worried about fouling them out of a game.

The NBA just needs to find another way of punishing teams for fouling too much. They could easily come up with something else.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Cavs will be fine. Everyone knows that regular season basketball and playoff basketball are completely different. Everything from coaching to officiating changes, it's almost ridiculous why they play so many meaningless regular season games in the first place.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Interesting take EDC. It would really change how we manage star player minutes as well in regards to forced rest with 2 fouls vs. 3 fouls. That sort of strategy / risk taking is important. Forcing a star player out of a game by being aggressive has always been important too. It would really really change things. Probably a bunch of effects that we aren't considering as well.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!