Suns News: Week 23 3/27-4/2

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Suns News: Week 23 3/27-4/2

Post by carey »

http://arizonasports.com/story/1073925/ ... ful-games/ :D :D
The Phoenix Suns are hopeful rookie Dragan Bender can play at least four or five of the remaining games in the 2016-17 season after a return from ankle surgery, general manager Ryan McDonough told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM’s Burns and Gambo show on Wednesday.

“He’s also progressing well from his ankle injury and at this point, we are projecting him to come back and play at some point over the next couple of weeks,” the GM said.

“I think the last four or five games is a reasonable target as long as the rehab continues to go well and he continues to improve.”

The Suns have seven games left on the schedule.

They play Thursday at home against the Clippers and Saturday in Portland before returning home for a four-game homestand against Houston (Sunday), Golden State (April 5), Oklahoma City (April 7) and Dallas (April 9). The season ends April 11 at Sacramento.

Bender underwent surgery to remove bone spurs on Feb. 8 and has missed 26 games.

Originally projected to miss four to six weeks, the Croatian 19-year-old has worked out on the court prior to Sunday’s game against the Charlotte Hornets and Tuesday’s game against the Atlanta Hawks.

The Suns have been shorthanded of late with Devin Booker (ankle) and Leandro Barbosa (hamstring) sitting out due to minor injuries in the loss to Atlanta that closed a winless six-game road trip on Tuesday.

“I think we’ll get some or all those guys back hopefully over the next week or so,” McDonough told Burns and Gambo.

Keeping one healthy body available, Phoenix on Wednesday re-signed Jarell Eddie to his second 10-day contract.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 23 3/27-4/2

Post by Indy »

Good. I know it won't happen, but I was hoping to see a starting lineup of the 21 and under group of Ulis, Booker, DJJ, Chriss, and Bender.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I know bone spurs in the ankle is pretty common and the surgery is pretty routine, but I'd rather give him the extra time and let him really focus on getting stronger and playing in the offseason. Young bigs with foot issues always scare me.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would rather see Bender just sit out the season than take even a slight risk of aggravating his injury.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If the Drs say he is recovered, then he's recovered. It might be better to get him out there and playing so that he can get used to playing hard on that foot, and not worry about it through the off-season. Get over the mental part of the recovery, so to speak.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I want to see him do something where he is out there for more than 10 minutes a game. Otherwise, the next time we see him will be in Vegas for the summer league with the rookies.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It looks like Jimmy Butler is going to be traded this off-season. Could the Suns be in the running for him to be a wing mate to Booker?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

No! I like Jimmy but he's not a fit here. Booker's our 1A guy, don't need Butler.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:No! I like Jimmy but he's not a fit here. Booker's our 1A guy, don't need Butler.
What current young Star or young near Star could be available or the Suns should go after this off-season? Or do you all think that they need to wait 1 more year?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
ShelC wrote:No! I like Jimmy but he's not a fit here. Booker's our 1A guy, don't need Butler.
What current young Star or young near Star could be available or the Suns should go after this off-season? Or do you all think that they need to wait 1 more year?
No more quick fixes. Do it the right way!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
What's the "right way"? Lay out the plan.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'd wait, the guys that would fit(25 and under established stars) aren't available.

This would be my plan:

1. Draft another young cornerstone with our 1st rounder
2. Draft and stash a euro big in round 2
3. Explore the market for Bledsoe, especially if we land Fultz or Ball(would package him with a Miami pick for another '17 lotto pick)
3. Bluff that we plan to re-sign Len to maybe get a sign and trade, let him walk if they call our bluff
4. Re-sign Alan Williams
5. Trade Knight for a future 2nd
6. Play the young guys

I would love to see our rotation be something like this:

Ulis and Booker as the starting guards with Ntilikina backing up both spots. Jones Jr. takes any leftover minutes. Barbosa an emergency vet.

Josh Jackson starts at the 3 with TJ Warren backing him up and a few minutes with a 3 guard lineup.

Chriss starts at the 4 with Bender backing him up and Jackson or Warren getting a few small ball minutes. Dudley an emergency vet.

Chandler starts but plays limited minutes. Chriss, bender, and Williams all get minutes at the 5.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
What's the "right way"? Lay out the plan.
Haven't we done this, at least in a general sense?
Keep the young core together. Add to it as opportunity arises, especially through the draft. Keep/acquire reasonably-priced veterans as necessary to fill out the rotation. Go out, compete, and see what happens.
Stick with that basic strategy until we're in a position to assemble a contender.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This FA class is very weak IMO. I'm not sure I would break the bank for anyone and any vet we sign isn't going to put us over the top. It's been rumored McD has a hard-on for Gordon Hayward, whom the Cs could also go after, but I think he stays put. And again, he's not moving the needle for us. It'd be a surface level move, signing a "big name" that won't get us anywhere.

We're at least 2 years away with our current young guys, which I count as Booker, Chriss and Bender and Booker's the only sure thing. I just don't see Bledsoe as a winning player or leading us anywhere so until we move him or his contract expires and we upgrade at PG, we're going to be a middling team.

Our biggest holes right now are SF and C. I'm fine with Chandler and Len can be kept on a reasonable deal, but we'll need a future piece there which we're not getting through FA anyway. I regard TJ as a bench guy, albeit a potentially good one. But we need more size, defense and shooting there. I don't think Bender or Chriss project as a SF. They're PFs, which we'll have to deal with later on. Either way, no point in spending on a SF like Hayward or Gallo (PO), or overpaying for a RFA like Otto Porter.

Build this year through the draft, give it another year and see where we're at.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:This FA class is very weak IMO. I'm not sure I would break the bank for anyone and any vet we sign isn't going to put us over the top. It's been rumored McD has a hard-on for Gordon Hayward, whom the Cs could also go after, but I think he stays put. And again, he's not moving the needle for us. It'd be a surface level move, signing a "big name" that won't get us anywhere.

We're at least 2 years away with our current young guys, which I count as Booker, Chriss and Bender and Booker's the only sure thing. I just don't see Bledsoe as a winning player or leading us anywhere so until we move him or his contract expires and we upgrade at PG, we're going to be a middling team.

Our biggest holes right now are SF and C. I'm fine with Chandler and Len can be kept on a reasonable deal, but we'll need a future piece there which we're not getting through FA anyway. I regard TJ as a bench guy, albeit a potentially good one. But we need more size, defense and shooting there. I don't think Bender or Chriss project as a SF. They're PFs, which we'll have to deal with later on. Either way, no point in spending on a SF like Hayward or Gallo (PO), or overpaying for a RFA like Otto Porter.

Build this year through the draft, give it another year and see where we're at.
Do the Suns go after a SF in the draft if they land in the top 2, or do you think they should trade down? If they stay and pick a PG, do they trade away Bledsoe to create room and start him? Do they package Bledsoe with some other players and draft picks and go after a previously unavailable star, while keeping Booker, Chriss, Ulis, and Bender?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That decision is easy. If the Suns get either Fultz or Ball, they should keep him and trade Bledsoe. Bledsoe would probably get a decent return based on having a strong season this year. Teams like, say, Orlando need a solid PG like Bledsoe at about his age.

In terms of chasing FAs/trades, I would not mind pursuing a few particular ones, namely Hayward or Paul George. Outside of those guys there isn't much I would want.

EDC

Post by EDC »

My problem with Bender not playing is that he might end up being buried again by Watson. While we are short handed and definitely tanking he can't get away with not playing him. I could see him being back to 5-10 minutes a game next season. While Chriss continues to start and get as many minutes as his fouls will allow.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

“He’s also progressing well from his ankle injury and at this point, we are projecting him to come back and play at some point over the next couple of weeks,” the GM said.
Interesting that he wants to play him at point guard. Has McDonough gone mad?! :shock:
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Interesting that he wants to play him at point guard. Has McDonough gone mad?! :shock:
They told us all summer how good he is handling the ball in the pick and roll! ;)

lol

I can just imagine the looks on Knight and Bled if they really did give Bender backup point duties to close out the season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
They told us all summer how good he is handling the ball in the pick and roll! ;)

lol

I can just imagine the looks on Knight and Bled if they really did give Bender backup point duties to close out the season.
Hey, the Greek Freak is 7 ft and he's doing it in Milwaukee. Why not? It seems that they have Booker playing point at times. (I realize that Super was kidding)