Suns News: Week 23 3/27-4/2

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 23 3/27-4/2

Post by Split T »

3rdside wrote:
Split T wrote:You're right, bender looks bad statistically, but I'm withholding judgement. He's the youngest player in the league, he got very spotty minutes, and I don't think we played to his strengths.

Bender profiles as a role player. He's not a primary ball handler like ulis and he's not going to give you flashy displays of athleticism like Chriss or Jones Jr. He's going to do a little bit of everything. Move the ball on offense, rebound a bit, play versatile defense, create mismatches on offense and hit open shots. We've really only let him be a spot up shooter on offense to this point. He hasn't been great, but I think he'll be at least an average(36%) threat from 3.

Defensively he's shown promise as a versatile defender who can step out on the perimeter to defend, but also provide some rim protection. I'd like to see us get him a little more involved in the offense these last two games. Get him the ball in the post if he's got a little guy on him or get him on the move from the perimeter against a bigger guy. In both cases I think he has the awareness to find the open man if the defense swings towards him. We did post him up a couple times against golden state when he had a wing on him and I think bender scored both times.
Honestly i think even that's too much of an ask - Dennis Schroeder is just about the only player in those four lists attached who's turned into anything good and he shot .238% from 3 his first season in the NBA, but is a career .331% shooter (.341 on 290 attempts last year though), this after shooting 34% in college.

Bender's got the mechanics so maybe he just needs the confidence....but yeah, that's a big ask.
Gary Harris went from a 20% 3pt shooter his rookie year to 42% this year. He's also turned into a very good all around player. Austin Rivers also has become a decent role player. He only shot 32% from 3 his rookie year. Both those guys were on those lists.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Even going back to the summer, Bender was missing a lot more in SL than I had anticipated. Everything looked fine in terms of his shot selection, mechanics, etc, he was just missing. I think he'll be fine but we need to figure out how and where to play him. I don't think he's a 3, but I also don't want us putting him on that Len weightlifting/bulk plan so he can play inside. Let him add strength gradually and naturally so he can retain his athleticism and still improve upon his current skillset.

carey

Post by carey »

I still think Bender is going to be great. His shot is so pretty and it's a quick trigger. As he develops strength he will get better and better. What he really needed was the same opportunity Chriss got to just PLAY. But apparently Watson thinks Chriss can be the best PF of all time and well, not so much for Bender.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

EDC wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Split T wrote:
I think Ball/Booker/Bender/Chriss is a good core, but I think it's missing one piece. Probably a defensive stud, cuz those 4 arent exactly goint to scare anyone defensively.
Bender sucks bro - everything is pointing to him being a bust unless he can learn to hit the three (which he hasn't been able to do ever in his career).
The idea that a player can't improve his three point shooting seems odd. Not everyone is Archie Goodwin.
Seriously. Players who shot less than .300 from 3 as a rookie on 70+ attempts: http://bkref.com/tiny/H0BkM

Lotta good shooters in that list. Mike Bibby shot .203 as a rookie. Craig Hodges shot .222. Kevin Durant shot .288 and LeBron shot .290. Etc.
Last edited by Cap on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

EDC

Post by EDC »

I could see us not matching whatever is offered to Len. I wouldn't mind seeing Bender starting at center. They would just need to have Chriss guard any big that likes to post up.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
EDC wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Split T wrote:
I think Ball/Booker/Bender/Chriss is a good core, but I think it's missing one piece. Probably a defensive stud, cuz those 4 arent exactly goint to scare anyone defensively.
Bender sucks bro - everything is pointing to him being a bust unless he can learn to hit the three (which he hasn't been able to do ever in his career).
The idea that a player can't improve his three point shooting seems odd. Not everyone is Archie Goodwin.
Seriously. Players who shot less than .300 from 3 as a rookie on 70+ attempts: http://bkref.com/tiny/H0BkM

Lotta good shooters in that list. Mike Bibby shot .203 as a rookie. Craig Hodges shot .222. Kevin Durant shot .288 and LeBron shot .290. Etc.
Chris Paul, Joe Johnson, and Paul George all also shot under 30% as rookies.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 100202898/
Late in the fourth quarter, as he dribbled on the left wing, the Talking Stick Resort Arena crowd booed. They wanted a quick shot, giving Westbrook a chance to secure his record-breaking 42nd triple-double of the season.

Finally, Booker stepped back and fired a 22-foot jumper. As it swished, he turned to the fans behind him, yelling "This is my house! This is my house!"
Gotta love his and the team's competitive spirit.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think he said, "This is my F***ing House!"...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

F yeah. That was awesome by Booker.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kinda lame on the fans booing booker. I hope they weren't actual suns fans.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, I don't remember the fans booing Booker. If they did, they weren't Suns fans. Lot's of OKC fans were in the house, unfortunately. It was nice to see them deny him and Booker to play well again, especially in the 4th.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm just watching the game now, but responding to the azcentral article that said fans booed when booker took his time dribbling late in the game.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
EDC wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Split T wrote:

I think there are about 20 All-Stars on that list, and 4 MVPs.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
EDC wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Split T wrote:

Noted and noted - if I'm putting a lot of stock in his 3pt% then I can't vilify the guy just yet even though his rookie stats are appalling, and.314% may actually be relatively good.

That on top of the eye test says no bets are being laid either way just yet.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Well hopefully Ulis, TJ and Bender all spend some quality time working on their 3pt shot this offseason.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:Well hopefully Ulis, TJ and Bender all spend some quality time working on their 3pt shot this offseason.
If Ulis in particular starts hitting that shot. Watch out! I think he just needs a little more arc on his shot.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

EDC wrote:Well hopefully Ulis, TJ and Bender all spend some quality time working on their 3pt shot this offseason.
1,500 makes per day.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
1,500 makes per day.
Add Jones Jr to that list

Cap

Post by Cap »

Free throws too, for Dragan. I know it's a small number of attempts, but 3-10 shouldn't happen.

ETA: Actually, we're not talking about a really small sample. He was 2-4 in preseason, 6-12 in summer league, and 1-2 in Euroleague. Add it all up and it's 12-28. That's a real problem. He's a legitimately terrible FT shooter, and that's a bad sign.

carey

Post by carey »

28FTs is a very small sample. That's 2 games for Westbrook or James Harden.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!