2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Archie Goodwin was once again in attendance, and ran the three-minute drill with the prospects.
The 29-pointer is winning me over with his work ethic alone.
I can't wait until the day you're calling him the 29-point-averager.
Get ready for a long wait.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wally_West wrote:What are the reasons why he is so all over the board that way? I am not really savvy on the draft prospects this year so please excuse my ignorance.
He only has average athleticism and he didn't shoot well from 3 in his sophomore season.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Wally_West wrote:From what I have been reading on T.J Warren, he almost seems like a guy that should be rated higher in the draft. I have seen mocks where they have him going anywhere between 14-27 spot in the draft. What are the reasons why he is so all over the board that way? I am not really savvy on the draft prospects this year so please excuse my ignorance.
Based on what I'm reading here and need, he is a very intriguing prospect for us. I don't know if he would be a good value at 14 though. What are the chances he's still there at 18?
I think he should be there at 18. I guess you have to worry about Atlanta taking him at 15; they could use a big-time scorer.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Archie Goodwin was once again in attendance, and ran the three-minute drill with the prospects.
I can't wait until the day you're calling him the 29-point-averager.
Get ready for a long wait.
Alright, I'll take 18-point-averager.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Your sarcasm is unparalleled.

Captain Marv-el

Post by Captain Marv-el »

Any feelz about Nick Johnson?
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Really nice to see the Suns praising TJ Warren.

I'd be a happy man if we walked from the draft with say Warren and Porzingis (and Patrick Young at 50). If #14 or 18 are used on an international prospect I wouldn't want to trade #27 for a future pick, unless its potential was too good.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Captain Marv-el wrote:Any feelz about Nick Johnson?
I like him a lot and would love for him to take Eric Bledsoe's place.

Captain Marv-el

Post by Captain Marv-el »

INFORMER wrote:
Captain Marv-el wrote:Any feelz about Nick Johnson?
I like him a lot and would love for him to take Eric Bledsoe's place.
that makes me ease off the eric
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

He's done some nice things this year to improve, but I don't think he'll ever be the playmaker Eric is.

He does kinda fit in to what you have been preaching to put next to Goran.

I think Nic is going to go early 2nd rd and unless the Suns grab him @ 27 (I doubt it) he'll most likely be gone by the time their 2nd rd pk rolls around
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't shake the memory of those horrible, horrible shooting efforts Johnson had in the tournament. I don't think I would want him except with a very late pick.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

I like Nick Johnson to take Ish Smith's place, but that's about it. They've got similar attributes, but Johnson's a better shooter.

Now, am I reading it right when I see McDonough/Hornacek talking about moving Markieff into that starting 4? Makes me happy to see because it'll likely spell the end of Frye's tenure, but Markieff had been shaky at best as a starter in the past - and still looks to be if Hornacek wants him to be a Frye-like stretch 4.

But, if that's the plan (with Marcus backing Markieff at 4), T.J. Warren would be a great fit here to eventually slip into the starting 3 - especially if reports about his defense pan out. To me, T.J.'s got Cedric Ceballos written all over him - jumper definitely needs work, but that and range are fixable. I can see opponents with deer-in-headlights all over every face when there's a break filled with Dragic, Bledsoe & Warren with Plumlee trailing - absolutely terrifying.

If the plan is indeed to slip Markieff in at starting 4, then I'd be alright coming away with Warren at 14, Capela or Kyle Anderson at 18 & Nick Johnson at 27.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

He's an undersized 2 with no one definitive Offensive skill.

I have seen some Avery Bradley comparisons, but he isn't as good defensively as Bradley.

That being said, I think he can make it in this league and I wouldn't be opposed to adding him...actually think he could grow into valuable role player. I love his competitiveness, but if I were him I probabaly would of came back for 1 more yr since Arizona has some nice talent coming back and in and he probably won't be a 1st rd pk this yr.

He does a number of things well, just doesn't have 1 great skill and his size and inability to play the point is going to hurt him. If we had a top 5 or 6 2nd rd pick I'd be happy to nab him.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I know very little about Johnson, and was under the impression that he is a SG trapped in a PG body. At the same time I've watched him be the best on the court. Replacing Ish is not a concern, and I'd probably be ok giving his minutes to Archie.

I like TJ Warren a lot regardless of who is on the roster. Ceballos was probably more athletic (at least relatively to his day) but Warren is much longer. I don't know if he can play 4 on offense, but wouldn't be surprised if it worked in some lineups.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

I am sold on TJ Warren as the 14th pick.

With the 18th pick I`d take Elfrid Payton (if he isn`t available my choice would be Kristaps Porzingis) and with the 27th I`d pick Jarnell Stokes if we take Payton before. If Porzingis is picked 18th I`d target Shabazz Napier here.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Ideally and realistically if we walk away with a combo of Harris/Anderson/Warren/Stauskas with picks 14 and 18 I'd be pretty pumped. I don't think both Harris and Stauskas would be there at 14, but one is a possibility. Anderson is hard to peg, but this board (including myself) seems to be higher on him then most "experts".

I also like Capela at 18.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

No LaVine for you SF4L?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

He's a boom or bust pick and honestly I wouldn't have a problem taking him at 14 depending who is on the board, but I wouldn't trade up for him and that is probably what it takes for him.

He is an athletic freak and I can see why people are enamored with him, but I just see him being so far from being able to contribute right now there is more of a bust potential then other prospects. His rise reminds me a lot of Anthony Randolph's a years ago, I think where he ends up too is going to be vital for his development.

I know he did most of his damage at the beginning of the yr, but most of UCLA's game I saw were at the end and he didn't do anything for me. He is killing workouts and setting all sort of athletic records, So obviously thats a plus and shouldn't be ignored.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

What about Semaji Christon?

The reason I am throwing his name out there is he is kinda in that Nick Johnson build accept, IMO, A better play maker and better prospect. Dude was talked about as a sure 1st rounder/lotto pick coming out of H.S. and didn't have the greatest of Season's at Xavier, but he's always been a guy that if he puts it all together has all the tools. Like Johnson his Size is going to hurt him and he didn't show the best decision making skills at the Point this season, but I'd seriously consider him late 1st-2nd.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe I just dislike Nick Johnson because he's a type of player I tend to dislike, or maybe it's because I know too much from seeing him play by following the "local" team. But I just don't like the mix of what he brings. He's a tweener guard in size. Not a great game manager or distributor, so probably not a great PG. But not a consistently good shooter, and short for that position, so probably not a great SG. I just don't see the role for him. Microwave off the bench? Maybe. But that's basically his ceiling if you ask me.