2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by Shabazz »

Marc Spears' Mock Draft:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nba-m ... um=twitter

Has us taking -

14 Stauskus
18 Lavine
27 Capela

That would be fantastic.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Fantastic yes, but I think we have better shot at getting Love and LBJ than the draft falling that way.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Interesting top10 predictions:

Gordon #5 to Utah. He is climbing fast, but I think the Jazz could use skill and range better than athleticism and energy with Favors on board. Vonleh could make more sense. Or they could go with Smart. I'm not high on Randle, but the fit seems to be there too.

McDermott #9 to Charlotte. I won't complain if they let LaVine drop, that's for sure. If I were them I'd be very worried about McD's adaptation to the NBA, but at least they have a good team defense so maybe they can afford him.

Saric #10. If the 76rs want to invest in an international prospect they might want to take a look at a true center to pair with MCW-Wiggins-Noel. Nurkic would be terrific, but he is an enigma as he has been projected all over the board.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I like all those predicitions. I've had mocks that have had those exact picks. But I think if McDermott goes #9, LaVine will go 10.

I think Utah is going with Gordon or Vonleh. I don't think they're interested in Randle.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Yeah, I think Charlotte and Denver could be targeting a SG, and LaVine likely won't be ignored twice if available in their range. I believe LaVine, Stauskas and Harris are gone by #14. Maybe McDermott too.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote: I believe LaVine, Stauskas and Harris are gone by #14.
Agreed.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Wild prediction - Jazz will go with Dario Saric with the 5th pick.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

sunset rubdown wrote:Wild prediction - Jazz will go with Dario Saric with the 5th pick.
Wow, that is wild. I never thought of that scenario, since he has indicated that he will only come over this year if the Celtics or Lakers take him. Lots of people really like Saric, but he hasn't shown enough to me to think he will earn a top 5 pick. Don't get me wrong, he is a good player, but he doesn't have the athleticism or shot to compensate for either deficiency.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Kristofer Habbas ‏@Kris_Habbas 39m
Phoenix Suns Workout Today: Kyle Anderson (UCLA) CJ Fair (Syr) Mike Moser (Ore) LaQuinton Ross (OSU) Justin Cobbs (Cal) Travis Wear (UCLA)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

We can post info on Suns workouts in the Suns offseason news thread.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ah Moser, liked him a lot a couple years back, kinda just fell flat after transfer.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... As-Targets

Bulls trying to trade up for Harris or Stauskas.

Makes sense and I'm a team like Orlando I may bite on this. 12 for 16 and 19.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Geebus, the draft can't come soon enough. Still two weeks. Ugh.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sunsfan4life wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... As-Targets

Bulls trying to trade up for Harris or Stauskas.

Makes sense and I'm a team like Orlando I may bite on this. 12 for 16 and 19.
Harris would be a good fit for them. This was reported by Chad Ford yesterday I believe, but it makes sense for them. Looks like they have a contingency plan if a trade for Love doesn't happen. It was also being reported/speculated that Orlando is now leaning toward picking Vonleh with the 4th pick, then using 12th for a pg like Payton.

So the target for the Bulls would be Denver's 11th pick.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I really can't bring myself to advocate picking Embiid #1. There was a point during the season where I was on board, but now I'm at the point where I just can't justify passing on Wiggins for him. Wiggins is too complete of a player and has too much upside. It just feels like Wiggins floor so high.

I just feel with Embiid, realistically you'll get Serge Ibaka, which certainly isn't bad. Wiggins on the other hand is a blend of Tracy McGrady, Scottie Pippen, and Vince Carter (pre-injuries).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It seems that Ibaka would be his floor. With Embiid, his ceiling is a bigger Hakeem. I certainly understand your apprehension though. Every top candidate has legitimate questions and no one is a perfect no brainer choice right now. Wiggins you could put on the court immediately because of his defense, he has the skills on offense, but just needs to work on how to use them and how to assert himself. Tracy McGrady, Scottie Pippen, and Vince Carter blend is crazy to pass up.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think Embiid's floor is Larry Sanders.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The good Sanders or the bad Sanders? J/k, he's already bigger, a better passer, more skilled offensively, and a lot more room to grow. I don't know about that floor.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

You certainly can make a case for Wiggins, but we disagree with what Embiid's ceiling is. As ridiculous as comparing a 19yr old to Hakeem sounds, In2 is right. Wiggins was so wildly inconsistent last sans about a 5 game stretch in the BIG 12 Season.

The biggest knock on Wiggins is you just don't know if he has that killer instant to take over a game. He went away during the tourney when his team needed him most, its not that he had a bad game, its just that he was completely non-existant and didn't try to take over.

Overall though I am High on both and would take them 1-2. Just curious though, inf what do you think Wiggins floor is? (player wise)
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I always get worried about these prospects where they say, "And he's only been playing basketball for 2 years!" Red flag.