Game Day: Thunder (45-33) @ Suns (22-57), Fri 4/7/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: Game Day: Thunder (45-33) @ Suns (22-57), Fri 4/7/17

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:When Dragan Bender is on defense, he hunches down and gets into this squished position where he doesn't look nearly as tall as he really is. I think he'd do better to embrace his height and stay a bit more upright.
Isn't "sitting down" on defense what you are supposed to do. It's the posture I was always taught playing d. Bent legs, back straight, arms up.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:When Dragan Bender is on defense, he hunches down and gets into this squished position where he doesn't look nearly as tall as he really is. I think he'd do better to embrace his height and stay a bit more upright.
Isn't "sitting down" on defense what you are supposed to do. It's the posture I was always taught playing d. Bent legs, back straight, arms up.
Yep, so you can move faster laterally.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Yup. Bender isn't Robin Lopez. He's not squatting down while defending a guy in the post making himself a foot shorter. He's doing it to move laterally and use his prodigious length to defend passing lanes.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Our guys aren't too happy about Westbrook. Ulis said he was chasing the record, Booker didn't like our crowd cheering him.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/tyler-uli ... wyklZeQ.97

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

EDC wrote:Loving the early plays for TJ. We use to do that at the beginning of the season then just kinda gave up on it.
Agreed. And it's very encouraging to see him get so many rebounds. I hope he can keep it up.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Weird to see Dudley getting 34 minutes while Bender and Chriss sit, but I guess that's what it takes to win. It's very nice to see us play with some pride.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

ShelC wrote:Our guys aren't too happy about Westbrook. Ulis said he was chasing the record, Booker didn't like our crowd cheering him.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/tyler-uli ... wyklZeQ.97

As they shouldn't be. I expect the suns to get flamed in the media for this, because the media loves westbrook, but it was absolutely the right thing to do. We were up like 25 so we could do whatever we wanted to do without it effecting the W. Now if we were in a tight game then, yes it's stupid.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

EDC

Post by EDC »

Westbrook is a little bitch every time we play him. Always wandering over to our bench running his mouth. This has been going on for awhile.
The whole trying to sneak over to the bench after the Len altercation. Still can't believe they gave Len a flagrant 1 for that.

Really happy they shut down Westbrook's big night. Len putting Westbrook on his ass was a bonus. To his credit though Westbrook didn't get too pissy about it.
I think he just likes to run his mouth and we have been bad for awhile now so he probably feels safe running it at our guys. Knowing he will probably get the win.

Not this time.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:Westbrook is a little bitch every time we play him. Always wandering over to our bench running his mouth. This has been going on for awhile.
The whole trying to sneak over to the bench after the Len altercation. Still can't believe they gave Len a flagrant 1 for that.

Really happy they shut down Westbrook's big night. Len putting Westbrook on his ass was a bonus. To his credit though Westbrook didn't get too pissy about it.
I think he just likes to run his mouth and we have been bad for awhile now so he probably feels safe running it at our guys. Knowing he will probably get the win.

Not this time.
Yep. I still clearly remember the first time we played them this season and the Thunder came from behind to win. He came over and screamed at our bench at the end of the game. I'm really glad we knocked him on his ass the last two games and prevented his obvious attempts for triple doubles in both games. And beat them to boot! We tied the season series.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was proud of our boys for going out of their way to screw over Westbrook.

Suns deny Russell Westbrook of triple-double mark: 'Not versus us'

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1910 ... -versus-us

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The Thunder announcers were really butthurt that the Suns didn't let Westbrook get the record last night. They seemed to have no problem with stat chasing when the Thunder were down by 20 with three minutes remaining, and couldn't believe that the Suns would put up a shot with 16 seconds remaining rather than take a 24-second shot clock violation (who the hell does that?).

There is little to be gained by leaving your star player in at garbage time just to try to manufacture a statistical milestone when it doesn't come in the flow of the game.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Screw OKC fans and announcers. Not in our house. WTF are they thinking. Players have pride. Earn it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm in the 4th quarter now. Westbrook passed up an open 3 for a pretty good look for Adams. Then passed up another open 3 for a not very good look for Adams. He may have been hunting assists but it wasn't obvious. And he may have just realized he couldn't hit anything all game.

Cap

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:The Thunder announcers were really butthurt that the Suns didn't let Westbrook get the record last night. They seemed to have no problem with stat chasing when the Thunder were down by 20 with three minutes remaining, and couldn't believe that the Suns would put up a shot with 16 seconds remaining rather than take a 24-second shot clock violation (who the hell does that?).

There is little to be gained by leaving your star player in at garbage time just to try to manufacture a statistical milestone when it doesn't come in the flow of the game.
If Westbrook wants to chase a statistical milestone during garbage time, I think he's earned the right to try. But it's ridiculous for anyone to complain that the other team didn't let him get it. If it's OK for him to try to get it, then it's OK for the other team to try to stop him from doing whatever he's trying to do. That's what opponents do. That's why they're called opponents.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:The Thunder announcers were really butthurt that the Suns didn't let Westbrook get the record last night. They seemed to have no problem with stat chasing when the Thunder were down by 20 with three minutes remaining, and couldn't believe that the Suns would put up a shot with 16 seconds remaining rather than take a 24-second shot clock violation (who the hell does that?).

Love it! Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to go watch the end of the Thunder broadcast.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:

Love it! Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to go watch the end of the Thunder broadcast.
I watched with OKC announcers and they were constantly talking about the record. They still cry themselves to sleep over Durant so I'll allow it hahah but this is our house.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just rewatched the final 6 minutes with the thunder announcers. Bobster was right, they got super butt hurt. Even had to throw a next week will be going to Houston and they'll be going home comment in there. They also seemed to think all 18,000 fans were there to see Westbrook only.

Gotta give some props to Westbrook, I don't think he was obviously hunting assists. There was 1 pretty suspect pass to Adams where Westbrook had an open 3 and Adams wasn't exactly open. Another time he passed up an open 3 for an open Adams in the 12-15 feet range. That's about it. I also think he took himself out of the game. Maybe it was because he thought the suns were just gonna foul him, but I think the competitor in him said getting the record, hunting assists when his team was down 20 was not the way to do it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:Gotta give some props to Westbrook, I don't think he was obviously hunting assists.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I thought it was pretty obvious. Same with the last game against us where he was one assist away. I even saw an OKC fan say both of those things too in the ESPN article comment section.

What I will give him props for is knowing it wasn't coming naturally and taking himself out of the game.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Westbrook was asked about looking for assists, and his answer made baketball sense as he pointed out to his 6-25 shooting. It's such a historic feat that I honestly don't have a problem with the player chasing it, but at the same time I want my guys try their best to screw it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Westbrook has been chasing empty assists and rebounds all year. I have seen chunks of a lot of his games this year (I try to turn them on with league pass if I see that they're on) and he just blatantly goes for empty rebounds, like on missed FTs, and he goes for questionable assists in the second half when he realizes he needs to get up to 10. It has been happening all year.