2017 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by Superbone »

How's this? I don't think the lottery is rigged but it sure feels that way. Here are the facts: Suns have never had a #1 pick in 50 years and I believe they've been in the lottery 13 times and they've only moved up once in all those times.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:How's this? I don't think the lottery is rigged but it sure feels that way. Here are the facts: Suns have never had a #1 pick in 50 years and I believe they've been in the lottery 13 times and they've only moved up once in all those times.
How many times did they buck the odds and move down? As we all said going in, we had the highest percentage chance of landing #4. Celts had the highest chance of landing #1. Only two chances out of 14 bucked the odds. The Kings moved up, and the Lakers moved up. Anyone think the league is trying to help the Kings? Or help Philly get another high draft pick?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Do you honestly think the lottery is rigged? Who is doing the rigging?
The way it continually plays out, do you seriously think otherwise? Is it all truly by "luck"? Just look at the facts and the continual lottery results. The sooner you stop taking things at face value as truth, the sooner you'll realize so many things are continually "rigged".
Again - who is doing the rigging? The NBA? The NBA is an association of 30 franchises. Adam Silver works for the 30 owners - not just for Jeannie Buss and Wyc Grousbeck. He's not rigging a lottery to benefit 2-3 owners at the expense of the other 27-28 who employ him.

Then there's the lottery itself. Go watch it. It's attended by every team and many members of the media. It's audited by Ernst and Young. How are they rigging it? Putting microchips in the balls so that they come out in a specific order 3 straight times?

The Suns had the highest odds of getting the #4 pick and they got the #4 pick. Did Adam, Jeannie, Wyc and the other owners/illuminati secretly make a plan when Sarver went to the bathroom at the last board meeting to screw the Suns over? Even if it didn't benefit 26 of the teams?

When Minnesota won the lottery the year after getting Wiggins in a trade, was that just to throw the detectives off the scent? What about when New Orleans won in 2012? Washington in 2010? The Clippers in 2009? The Blazers in 2007?

Would the NBA and Ernst & Young both risk their corporations reputations and futures so that Lonzo and Lavar Ball could go to the Lakers?

Come on, Dude. It's asinine.
The same Ernst and Young that has settled multiple lawsuits around inappropriate relationships with clients? Doesn't take a very in depth Google search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ernst+and+young+lawsuit

It doesn't matter though. The world operates in a fair and just matter. This may sound like a guy dishing "woe is me" but I have a good life cracking 6 figures just over 30 years of age and I'm not oblivious to accepting facts at face value. But we can both waste keystrokes on a Wednesday evening going nowhere towards dissuasion.
Please answer any of my questions in the post above. Or all of them if you're able. I wasn't asking them rhetorically. I'm really curious to see how the conspiracy theorists think this actually works and who is pulling the strings.
Thank you.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Everyone keeps stating the Suns had the highest chance of getting pick #4. That's not true. They had the highest chance of getting pick 1, 2 or 3, those 3 combined were over 50 percent.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

The lottery is not rigged. Some of ya'll need to take off the tinfoil hats and drop the persecution complex.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

SunsRIt wrote:Everyone keeps stating the Suns had the highest chance of getting pick #4. That's not true. They had the highest chance of getting pick 1, 2 or 3, those 3 combined were over 50 percent.
Wrong again. The Suns had the highest chance of picking in the 1-5 range.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I have no evidence that it is rigged. I think that it wouldn't be that hard to alter the ping pong balls with either altering their weight or doing something with magnets but I'm no scientist. Having a "private" company audit the process? Puh-lease. That holds no weight in today's society. Too many corrupt people.

The Suns are one of the least marketable teams and they continue to defy the law of averages in a league that marketing is the pulse of it's existence. Hmmm.
Last edited by djy2j on Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

O_Gardino wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:Everyone keeps stating the Suns had the highest chance of getting pick #4. That's not true. They had the highest chance of getting pick 1, 2 or 3, those 3 combined were over 50 percent.
Seriously?

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Seriously?
Yes, seriously. The most likely single spot was 4 (32%), then 1 (20%), then 2 (19%), then 3 (17%), then 5 (12%).

Indy

Post by Indy »

djy2j wrote:I have no evidence that it is rigged. I think that it wouldn't be that hard to alter the ping pong balls with either altering their weight or doing something with magnets but I'm no scientist. Having a "private" company audit the process? Puh-lease. That holds no weight in today's society. Too many corrupt people.

The Suns are one of the least marketable teams and they continue to defy the law of averages in a league that marketing is the pulse of it's existence. Hmmm.
Right. And Sacramento is so marketable that they had to let them move up. And since Cleveland is so marketable, they have been able to win the lottery so many times. (Does anyone know anyone that voluntarily moved to Cleveland?)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
djy2j wrote:I have no evidence that it is rigged. I think that it wouldn't be that hard to alter the ping pong balls with either altering their weight or doing something with magnets but I'm no scientist. Having a "private" company audit the process? Puh-lease. That holds no weight in today's society. Too many corrupt people.

Right. And Sacramento is so marketable that they had to let them move up. And since Cleveland is so marketable, they have been able to win the lottery so many times. (Does anyone know anyone that voluntarily moved to Cleveland?)
Yes, a guy named LeBron James. From Miami of all places!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

Yes, a guy named LeBron James. From Miami of all places!
Meant non-Ohio natives.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Forgot the score: 8.3/10

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Seriously?
Yes, seriously. The most likely single spot was 4 (32%), then 1 (20%), then 2 (19%), then 3 (17%), then 5 (12%).
That was sarcasm Indy. The only place they could pick was 1-5. So there was a 100% chance of that happening.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Indy wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Seriously?
That was sarcasm Indy. The only place they could pick was 1-5. So there was a 100% chance of that happening.
I knew the 'seriously' was sarcasm, but didn't think the first post was.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:Forgot the score: 8.3/10
Hey, not bad! :)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:Forgot the score: 8.3/10
Hey, not bad! :)
especially considering I am an extraordinarily tough grader.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Joke, explained.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

n4th4n wrote:The lottery is not rigged. Some of ya'll need to take off the tinfoil hats and drop the persecution complex.
Agreed.

The whole process is overseen by an accounting firm and all the member teams have absolutely no reason to put up with any other team being awarded a top pick by way of a rigged system.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Pips

Post by Pips »

No reason, but somehow Suns always get short end. Heck, they can always follow rules like in 2007.