2017 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:Frank Ntilikina or Jonathan Isaac right now. Although fox is intriguing. I don't like that he can't shoot though.
You have any video of Frank? The DX video was all I've really seen.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Tyler Kolek.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I really like Fox at 5. He's lightning with the ball, and I don't think his jumper will be a long term problem. He's right there with Ball as far as pushing the pace, he just does it with the ball in his hands ala John Wall instead of crispy outlet/bounce passes like Lonzo.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Tyler Kolek.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Split T wrote:Frank Ntilikina or Jonathan Isaac right now. Although fox is intriguing. I don't like that he can't shoot though.
You have any video of Frank? The DX video was all I've really seen.
Nah, just the dx videos. I admit I don't have a lot to go on, and I think the whole we haven't seen enough of him so we don't see his deficiencies thing is in full play here. Whereas someone like fox, we've seen him struggle to make threes all year.

The idea of him is very intriguing. The scouting report on him was, great defender, great playmaker, great size, and a shaky jumper. His jumpshot has vastly improved and now the knocks on him are lack of playing time/experience and not an elite athlete.

Is he a 6'5 Chris Paul or is he Kendall Marshall? I'm sure he's somewhere in between but which side of the spectrum is he closer too? Hard to tell since we have limited knowledge. I guess if we pick him I'll have to trust that our scouting department has decided he's more on the CP3 side of the spectrum.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I'm not touching Monk. I like Markkanen/Issac/Ntilikina, intrigued by Fox.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:I'm just going to plan on 4th so I'm not utterly disappointed when it happens. And then I'll slit my wrist when we get 5th! :x
Spoken like a true Suns fan.
;) Life is not fair, man. I'm just hoping one day it happens. The Cubs last year give me hope. Everything just has to come together at some point in time.
Since the weighted lottery system was introduced in 1990, only four teams with the worst record went on to win the lottery while only four teams with the second-worst record have won the lottery.

see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery

I will be watching, that's for sure ... :)

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The draft tiebreakers are here: http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/18/t ... -nba-draft

Minnesota (31-51) won a tiebreaker with New York: Minni has #6 odds.

Portland (41-41) won a tiebreaker with Chicago: Portland picks #15.

Milwaukee (42-40) won a tiebreaker with Indiana: Milwaukee picks #17.

Atlanta (43-39) won a tiebreaker with Memphis: ATL picks #19.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I'm going to utter blasphemy....

If we don't get the first or second pick, I'd rather trade down and get Lauri Markkanen at 7-10. Jackson and Tatum's shitty 3 point shooting, and Monk's lack of passing ability are all the things that are already killing this team. We need distributors and shooters more than anything else. Markkanen is the best big man shooter in the draft, and would complement the players we have better than any of our other bigs.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I really don't like Markkanen. If we're at 4 and the Knicks are 7, i'd look to swap since they'll probably be hot for Fox or Smith. I'm also not touching Monk at all.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Markkanen sucks.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I like Markkanen. He shoots the way I hoped Bender would/will. He's a taller and younger Ryan Anderson or Channing Frye, and the Suns could use a player like that who could spread the floor, pull the bigs out to the perimeter.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

That's a bit harsh. (Mori's post)

He has a good skill set, but seems very passive.
He's the type of guy who will have a 7-8 year NBA career, pinballing around the league, never quite living up to expected potential.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Also won't touch Monk. If we trade down, I'm hoping we get two picks, preferably both lotto, in this draft. I like Ntklitina. Or rather, I like the idea of him. I haven't seen any games and watching highlights isn't that useful for me. I do like Jackson, he is a playmaker. I'm more worried about getting the 4th pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm wondering if monk has more to his game than he showed at Kentucky. We all know booker was under utilized there. Maybe monk has more pg skills than we think.

Split T

Post by Split T »

One thing I've been thinking about, If Harry Giles drops like Skal did last year, I'd love to move up into the first round and snag him. If healthy, that guy had #1 overall pick potential.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Wormwood wrote:I'm going to utter blasphemy....

If we don't get the first or second pick, I'd rather trade down and get Lauri Markkanen at 7-10. Jackson and Tatum's s*** 3 point shooting, and Monk's lack of passing ability are all the things that are already killing this team. We need distributors and shooters more than anything else. Markkanen is the best big man shooter in the draft, and would complement the players we have better than any of our other bigs.
I am on the Markkanen sucks train. What is the point of having a 7-footer who shoots 3s if he also rebounds/shot blocks/defends like a slow footed shooting guard? He is also a massive liability on the defensive end. It's like someone went out of their way to design the most defensively exploitable big man they possibly could. I also don't see how he fits in with Bender and Chriss. I believe both of them have a higher ceiling than him. Especially in terms of versatility.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The opportunity cost in drafting Markkanen could be too high. If we go after a shooting big man, and we should, there are players in the market to acquire, either via FA (Mirotic, Olynyk) or via trade (I am sure Meyers Leonard will be more than avilable). Spend the pick on a kid with more potential.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:One thing I've been thinking about, If Harry Giles drops like Skal did last year, I'd love to move up into the first round and snag him. If healthy, that guy had #1 overall pick potential.
He is this year's Skal. I would be just fine moving up to get him. Two second rounders and . . .?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Portland has 3 firsts and needs some salary relief. I wouldn't want to take on crabbe or turners deal, unless they took knight, but maybe #32 for #19 and Meyers Leonard? Not sure how they view him as a prospect anymore, but they owe him 32 million over the next 3 years and I'm sure they'd rather allocate that money for nurkic.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:Portland has 3 firsts and needs some salary relief. I wouldn't want to take on crabbe or turners deal, unless they took knight, but maybe #32 for #19 and Meyers Leonard? Not sure how they view him as a prospect anymore, but they owe him 32 million over the next 3 years and I'm sure they'd rather allocate that money for nurkic.
That would probably be OK if we knew we were not retaining Len (or maybe even Williams too). I think the offer that Alan Williams gets this summer will shock us all--not necessarily an offer from the Suns.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:Portland has 3 firsts and needs some salary relief. I wouldn't want to take on crabbe or turners deal, unless they took knight, but maybe #32 for #19 and Meyers Leonard? Not sure how they view him as a prospect anymore, but they owe him 32 million over the next 3 years and I'm sure they'd rather allocate that money for nurkic.
That would probably be OK if we knew we were not retaining Len (or maybe even Williams too). I think the offer that Alan Williams gets this summer will shock us all--not necessarily an offer from the Suns.
If it happens it happens. The Suns aren't in a position to contend right now and I don't see them as a necessity yet. I would prefer they take a smaller salary, but I habe no control over that.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass