Game Day: Mavs (32-47) @ Suns (23-57), Sun 4/9/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Game Day: Mavs (32-47) @ Suns (23-57), Sun 4/9/17

Post by In2ition »

What I like about the Summer league is that's where the young players build a winning attitude and play with a chip on their shoulder. I believe that Warriors and Spurs won with their young guys and let it roll into the season. Honestly, Bender could use the work. Jones Jr., Chriss and Ulis could show all the work they've put in since the season ended and give them a chance to see how they work with the new guys. They could also do a little experimenting on what they don't normally do. I don't see a big problem with it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I love the pride from this team. I'm very happy with us ending the season on a good note. Ping-pong balls be damned.

Warren continues the good defensive rebounding and efficient scoring.
Ulis continues to be a force. it's amazing that a guy that size can do so much for the team. Other teams better scout this kid, or he'll make you pay.
Book scoring well, but letting others shine.
Dragan with 35 minutes, and we win. He didn't play great, but I'm encouraged by what I see. I'd really like to see him get this kind of time the last two games as well.
Len with a solid night of work.

It's just nice to see the young guys getting some reward for their work.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:What I like about the Summer league is that's where the young players build a winning attitude and play with a chip on their shoulder. I believe that Warriors and Spurs won with their young guys and let it roll into the season. Honestly, Bender could use the work. Jones Jr., Chriss and Ulis could show all the work they've put in since the season ended and give them a chance to see how they work with the new guys. They could also do a little experimenting on what they don't normally do. I don't see a big problem with it.
Agreed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm really encouraged by Jones Jr's play. He did it all in this game. He even hit jumpers and a 3! His confidence is really blossoming.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I had written off Jones Jr as just an athlete and a dunker. But since the all-star break he's been pretty serviceable and showing some signs that he might be able to be a rotation guy. Good for him! Must be working hard and it's paying off.

carey

Post by carey »

If he showed what he's showing right now but instead it was in college this year as a 2 year guy would DJJ be a lottery pick in this draft? How much better is Isaac for instance?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Suns broadcasters seem to think he wpuld ne a lottery pick if he was in college this year. I like him a lot, but he jas to improve in some very specific areas of weakness.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:The Suns broadcasters seem to think he wpuld ne a lottery pick if he was in college this year. I like him a lot, but he jas to improve in some very specific areas of weakness.
If he could make the leap Joe did between his first year and 2nd year in 3P% alone, I would be ecstatic. He needs to start shooting with those medicine balls ASAP, if he isn't already.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:If he showed what he's showing right now but instead it was in college this year as a 2 year guy would DJJ be a lottery pick in this draft? How much better is Isaac for instance?
I don't think he'd be a lottery pick. At this point he still has no real jump shot or off the dribble game.

Issac is a much better prospect. For one, he's 6'11 with long arms. He's not DJJ athletically, but he's a good athlete. He can shoot from the outside and while he didn't show much of it in college, he can handle the ball a bit. On top of this, he projects as a good defender that can guard 3-5 potentially.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I had written off Jones Jr as just an athlete and a dunker. But since the all-star break he's been pretty serviceable and showing some signs that he might be able to be a rotation guy. Good for him! Must be working hard and it's paying off.
He's had some good stretches on D, too.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Props to McDonough for finding DJJ. I thought Troy Williams was the better choice, but DJJ has some legit NBA skills and is 3 years younger.