Suns News: Week 25 - The End of '16-'17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns News: Week 25 - The End of '16-'17

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:Speaking of Minny, is anyone else underwhelmed by Andrew Wiggins? The guy can score, but when is he gonna add anything else to his game. He doesn't rebound, doesn't create for others, doesn't even play defense, which was supposed to be his one sure fire skill.

He's still super young though, so we'll see. Booker is kind of in a similar situation, although he is even younger and shows flashes of creating for others.

Wiggins is 23/4/2
Booker is 22/3/3
Good points.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ulis was named NBA Western Conference Rookie of the Month.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/14/w ... kies-month
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:Ulis was named NBA Western Conference Rookie of the Month.
But he found it presumptuous and more than a little cumbersome, so he changed it to Tyler.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
But he found it presumptuous and more than a little cumbersome, so he changed it to Tyler.
Took me a beat but Cap is on a roll!
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Cap wrote:
9.4/10
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Cap wrote:
9.4/10
6/10, can't go higher than the last one, which was probably marked too low. A little dry for my taste.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
9.4/10
6/10, can't go higher than the last one, which was probably marked too low. A little dry for my taste.
Put some ketchup on it. #MAGA

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
9.4/10
Put some ketchup on it. #MAGA
Haha
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:I expect Thibs to be a much better coach than Watson at this point in their careers. Thibs has many years of experience as an assistant and head coach at this point. I agree that Watson has a lot to learn especially on the strategy side of things. Will he get there in his first head coaching stint with the Suns? I don't know but he seems like the type of person that wants to continue to grow and improve. I'm willing to give him some time with this team to see how/if they can grow together.
I think Watson has had enough time to learn this coaching thing. I expect another upgrade in talent this summer via the young guys who are another year older and the influx of more talent via the draft and maybe free agency.

Gambo said today that he expects 41 wins next year which would be a 17 game improvement. We could have really won several more games if we did not sit key players while obviously tanking.

Assuming no major injuries at this point I think that 41 wins is a reasonable goal. This certainly will be revisited after we complete our summer moves.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Superbone wrote:I expect Thibs to be a much better coach than Watson at this point in their careers. Thibs has many years of experience as an assistant and head coach at this point. I agree that Watson has a lot to learn especially on the strategy side of things. Will he get there in his first head coaching stint with the Suns? I don't know but he seems like the type of person that wants to continue to grow and improve. I'm willing to give him some time with this team to see how/if they can grow together.
I think Watson has had enough time to learn this coaching thing. I expect another upgrade in talent this summer via the young guys who are another year older and the influx of more talent via the draft and maybe free agency.

Gambo said today that he expects 41 wins next year which would be a 17 game improvement. We could have really won several more games if we did not sit key players while obviously tanking.

Assuming no major injuries at this point I think that 41 wins is a reasonable goal. This certainly will be revisited after we complete our summer moves.
I can't agree with much of that if any. Nobody becomes an expert at anything after only 1.3 years of experience. I also don't believe 41 wins next season is a reasonable goal for this team which will still be very young after adding a couple more rookies.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

JustWinBaby wrote:

Watson was on the radio talking about young players and their development. He said that a lot of coaches like to control and limit the development of young players. They limit their minutes and roles, bring them along slowly, pull them quickly for mistakes. Its because the coach wants to be in control. Watson said his philosophy is different. He believes that his responsibility is not NOT limit young players. Provide guidance and help, but then get out of the way and give them every opportunity to succeed.

I totally agree with him. Watson is the type of coach whose W-L record will never look good, but he will make a huge difference in the overall success of a team.

As far as wins next year. I could see a huge improvement.

Booker will be a year older, and he has really settled into his role.
We will add an impact rookie, no matter where we draft.
Chriss is advancing at an astounding rate. I expect him to have huge positive impact next summer.
There will be some sort of trade that will help.
We can shore up some areas with free agency.
Alan Williams role will increase.
Ulis has established himself in the back up pg role and will have an impact.

Barring injuries, there is nothing there that indicates decline, and a lot that indicates improvement.

I think 35-40 wins, maybe even 41.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:

I can't agree with much of that if any. Nobody becomes an expert at anything after only 1.3 years of experience. I also don't believe 41 wins next season is a reasonable goal for this team which will still be very young after adding a couple more rookies.
Way to lower expectations for your boy. At what point do you think he will be capable of coaching a team to 41 wins. I am not expecting a championship, just respectability. We really were not that far away this year. We tanked and lost many close games. McDonough has given him a roster full of talented youngsters and some really nice veterans (Chandler, Dudley and Barbosa). He will also have at least one more very talented piece added to the mixture.

Honestly, will you still love him if he produces another 23 or 24 win season. I doubt that Suns fans in general will feel the same. If that happens it is ALL on the coach and he will be fired.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:Way to lower expectations for your boy.
Sorry, I can't take you seriously. He's our coach whether you like it or not. Grow up.
"Be Legendary."

EDC

Post by EDC »

JCSunsfan wrote: Watson was on the radio talking about young players and their development. He said that a lot of coaches like to control and limit the development of young players. They limit their minutes and roles, bring them along slowly, pull them quickly for mistakes. Its because the coach wants to be in control. Watson said his philosophy is different. He believes that his responsibility is not NOT limit young players. Provide guidance and help, but then get out of the way and give them every opportunity to succeed.
He did a stellar job of limiting Bender for most of the season. We would be in a better place right now if he would have also given minutes to Bender like he did for Chriss.

Not to mention these comments directly contradict the "we don't want our young guys to hit at the same time."

Watson is good at saying the right thing at the right time. Regardless if it is true or not. You just have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Watson is truly a visionary with a revolutionary way of coaching. We're really lucky to have him and his groundbreaking ways.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:Watson is truly a visionary with a revolutionary way of coaching. We're really lucky to have him and his groundbreaking ways.
You too.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

ShelC wrote:Watson is truly a visionary with a revolutionary way of coaching. We're really lucky to have him and his groundbreaking ways.
Forget the green font?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

EDC wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote: Watson was on the radio talking about young players and their development. He said that a lot of coaches like to control and limit the development of young players. They limit their minutes and roles, bring them along slowly, pull them quickly for mistakes. Its because the coach wants to be in control. Watson said his philosophy is different. He believes that his responsibility is not NOT limit young players. Provide guidance and help, but then get out of the way and give them every opportunity to succeed.
He did a stellar job of limiting Bender for most of the season. We would be in a better place right now if he would have also given minutes to Bender like he did for Chriss.

Not to mention these comments directly contradict the "we don't want our young guys to hit at the same time."

Watson is good at saying the right thing at the right time. Regardless if it is true or not. You just have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.
So, why do you think he preferred Chriss over Bender? Think that the fact that the PF position was wide open, while the sf position that Bender is best suited for had PJ and TJ ahead of him. While I get having a gripe about playing PJ ahead of the young guys, TJ is a young player that deserves time just like Bender.

Or, do you think Bender should play pf ahead of Chriss, or center ahead of Tyson, Len, and Sauce?

TOO

Post by TOO »

The Watson hate makes me laugh. 10/10

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:
EDC wrote:

So, why do you think he preferred Chriss over Bender? Think that the fact that the PF position was wide open, while the sf position that Bender is best suited for had PJ and TJ ahead of him. While I get having a gripe about playing PJ ahead of the young guys, TJ is a young player that deserves time just like Bender.

Or, do you think Bender should play pf ahead of Chriss, or center ahead of Tyson, Len, and Sauce?
I think it was because Chriss performed better early and was much more physically ready in terms of strength and his ability to adjust to the athleticism of the NBA because he's a freak. Bender for all his skills, is still a weenie physically.