Around the League: Week 25 - The End of the Regular Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 25 - The End of the Regular Season

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:538 has the Suns ranked dead last in Title victory chance this season.
Seeing as we're not in the playoffs, it's a pretty good bet that we won't win the NBA Title this season.

ETA: What Cap said.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm with you guys in being sick for Miami not making the playoffs after that historic run.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:I'm with you guys in being sick for Miami not making the playoffs after that historic run.
Its what Goran does. He puts a team on his back and carries them almost to the playoffs.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:Dead last in CARMELO, you mean. When it comes to title chances, all non-playoff teams are tied at zero.

Tied for dead last. ;)
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:I'm with you guys in being sick for Miami not making the playoffs after that historic run.
Its what Goran does. He puts a team on his back and carries them almost to the playoffs.
:roll:

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Suns FO robbed him two years of his prime. What he has done this season is what he did in 13-14. The following two seasons were a step back or two, forced on him by the IT3 move. Sorry, Goran. You deserved better.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:538 has the Suns ranked dead last in Title victory chance this season.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... edictions/

They have the Warriors as the favorites, obvs. They give the Cavs a 2% chance. I tend to agree. You can talk all day about turning it on, but if the Cas get the rings this season that will be a historic "turning it on." Teams just don't limp into the playoffs with 51 wins and suddenly start playing hard and playing together. They certainly have the talent. We will see how much they can flip the switch.
I do think the Cavs have a very tough road ahead of them with Toronto, Boston, maybe Washington to face. But it would be unwise to underestimate them. They still have Lebron, who is still arguably the best player in the league. Lebron has been exceptional this year, an unheralded MVP candidate. They have Kyrie and Love, and their supporting cast is also pretty good. They aren't 10 deep, but in the playoffs you only really need 7-8 guys, and I think they have that. I do think they have been playing at half-speed to save something for the postseason. I agree that it is hard to "flip the switch" to such a huge degree, but I really do think we will see a different team in the playoffs. I am not positive that they'll get back to the Finals (Toronto will be a real test), but I still would bet on them over any other Eastern team to get to the Finals.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I think they get a rude wake up call in round one, get their asses into shape, and play like a worthy defending champions for the remaining rounds. If they can avoid injury and the grind, I still think they should be favored. If they get through round one too easily and then face Toronto or Washington in round two, and go down 2-0 or something, then they will have real trouble climbing back from that; even if they manage, I see them getting mentally/physically beat up.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Lebron is still the best player in the world. He will be back in the finals again this year.

I just want to see the Warriors lose.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

EDC wrote:Lebron is still the best player in the world. He will be back in the finals again this year.

I just want to see the Warriors lose.
I don't see the Warriors losing.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Suns FO robbed him two years of his prime. What he has done this season is what he did in 13-14. The following two seasons were a step back or two, forced on him by the IT3 move. Sorry, Goran. You deserved better.
Nah.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

carey

Post by carey »

Is it weird that I think we deserved better from Goran?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's not weird, but I do disagree with you. Goran said some rude things about our team, but the team also didn't treat him all that well at the end. I don't want to dive into all of it again, though. I am happy for him and glad he's doing well in Miami. And we got some good assets when we traded him, so we will be fine. What's done is done.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:It's not weird, but I do disagree with you. Goran said some rude things about our team, but the team also didn't treat him all that well at the end. I don't want to dive into all of it again, though. I am happy for him and glad he's doing well in Miami. And we got some good assets when we traded him, so we will be fine. What's done is done.
I'm with you on this one. It goes both ways. We jerked him around one time too many. Remember when we let him go to Houston and then had to coerce him back again?
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Jackson just said "I think the direction with our team is that he would be better off somewhere else".

https://twitter.com/Mike_Vorkunov/status/852954591700410369

If I am Carmelo Anthony I tell them to pay my contract and I am gone. The Knicks have wasted so much money over the years and Carmelo has been all he could for them. Phil has not done shit over his tenure other than Porzingis and in my opinion the Knicks are better off if they lose Jackson first, then decide what to do with Melo.

If Porzingis and Melo (plus Noah, etc, mind you) is not enough to make the playoffs, go tank hard. Both players seem ok with each other, they like NYK even if they are not winning, and it doesn't interfere with adding young talent, which is probably their only way up.

Knicks are still stupid from top to bottom.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Jackson just said "I think the direction with our team is that he would be better off somewhere else".

https://twitter.com/Mike_Vorkunov/status/852954591700410369

If I am Carmelo Anthony I tell them to pay my contract and I am gone. The Knicks have wasted so much money over the years and Carmelo has been all he could for them. Phil has not done s*** over his tenure other than Porzingis and in my opinion the Knicks are better off if they lose Jackson first, then decide what to do with Melo.

If Porzingis and Melo (plus Noah, etc, mind you) is not enough to make the playoffs, go tank hard. Both players seem ok with each other, they like NYK even if they are not winning, and it doesn't interfere with adding young talent, which is probably their only way up.

Knicks are still stupid from top to bottom.
From a guy who still gets boners thinking about SSOL, Carmelo is the last guy I want anywhere near my team.
Last edited by 3rdside on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

3rdside wrote:From a guy who still get boners thinking about SSOL, Carmelo is the last guy I want anywhere near my team.
Star name is something NYK seems to crave, although they need to rebuild. My point is that with Melo still onboard, they can have both things, as although he's been one of the best players of his generation, he can't win alone. A depleted Knicks team with Porzingis and Melo, plus Willy and their #7 '17 pick, won't win a lot of games the next couple of years.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
3rdside wrote:From a guy who still get boners thinking about SSOL, Carmelo is the last guy I want anywhere near my team.
Star name is something NYK seems to crave, although they need to rebuild. My point is that with Melo still onboard, they can have both things, as although he's been one of the best players of his generation, he can't win alone. A depleted Knicks team with Porzingis and Melo, plus Willy and their #7 '17 pick, won't win a lot of games the next couple of years.
I haven't really looked into it but he seems to be one of those that cares more about showing how good he is, and to be known as the star, rather than actually winning; I vaguely remember reading a story when Mike DA was in NY and they sucked, Carmelo went out injured, Lin took over in his absence and they started winning...only for Carmelo to pout, come back in, and grind the team to a halt again.

Jackson even called him out this season for ball hogging, so there's a pretty good chance that this is a guy who just can't / won't adapt for the sake of the team.

No thanks.

So yeah if I was NYK I'd trade him for whatever I could get and start again.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If the Knicks are rebuilding, there is no reason to keep Melo. They would want to trade him for assets like picks and younglings.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:Is it weird that I think we deserved better from Goran?
Nope. He was limited and mgmt knew it. I have no regrets whatsoever about trading Goran.