Around the League: Week 25 - The End of the Regular Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: Around the League: Week 25 - The End of the Regular Season

Post by JCSunsfan »

3rdside wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
3rdside wrote:From a guy who still get boners thinking about SSOL, Carmelo is the last guy I want anywhere near my team.
Star name is something NYK seems to crave, although they need to rebuild. My point is that with Melo still onboard, they can have both things, as although he's been one of the best players of his generation, he can't win alone. A depleted Knicks team with Porzingis and Melo, plus Willy and their #7 '17 pick, won't win a lot of games the next couple of years.
I haven't really looked into it but he seems to be one of those that cares more about showing how good he is, and to be known as the star, rather than actually winning; I vaguely remember reading a story when Mike DA was in NY and they sucked, Carmelo went out injured, Lin took over in his absence and they started winning...only for Carmelo to pout, come back in, and grind the team to a halt again.

Jackson even called him out this season for ball hogging, so there's a pretty good chance that this is a guy who just can't / won't adapt for the sake of the team.

No thanks.

So yeah if I was NYK I'd trade him for whatever I could get and start again.
I don't think the market will be that high for Melo. I see him getting cut or something and going to Cleveland.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

JCSunsfan wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
3rdside wrote:From a guy who still get boners thinking about SSOL, Carmelo is the last guy I want anywhere near my team.
Star name is something NYK seems to crave, although they need to rebuild. My point is that with Melo still onboard, they can have both things, as although he's been one of the best players of his generation, he can't win alone. A depleted Knicks team with Porzingis and Melo, plus Willy and their #7 '17 pick, won't win a lot of games the next couple of years.
I haven't really looked into it but he seems to be one of those that cares more about showing how good he is, and to be known as the star, rather than actually winning; I vaguely remember reading a story when Mike DA was in NY and they sucked, Carmelo went out injured, Lin took over in his absence and they started winning...only for Carmelo to pout, come back in, and grind the team to a halt again.

Jackson even called him out this season for ball hogging, so there's a pretty good chance that this is a guy who just can't / won't adapt for the sake of the team.

No thanks.

So yeah if I was NYK I'd trade him for whatever I could get and start again.
I don't think the market will be that high for Melo. I see him getting cut or something and going to Cleveland.
Sounds like a fair call....anywhere but here anyway.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They won't cut Melo. He has too much value to simply throw him away. They'd get at least a pick or a prospect for him, and probably multiple assets.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:They won't cut Melo. He has too much value to simply throw him away. They'd get at least a pick or a prospect for him, and probably multiple assets.
Nah. He has a no trade clause and a 15% trade kicker that will add on to his already ridiculous salary. With the kicker a team needs to take on $29.5M in salary. That's... that's a lot for this version of Melo.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Not related per say. More NBA news. But just saw a headline that IT's sister was killed in a car accident this AM. Tragic. :(

ASU star tight end Todd Heap also ran over and killed his 3 year old this morning.

Hug your family tight. Sad day.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:Not related per say. More NBA news. But just saw a headline that IT's sister was killed in a car accident this AM. Tragic. :(
That is very sad.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:They won't cut Melo. He has too much value to simply throw him away. They'd get at least a pick or a prospect for him, and probably multiple assets.
Nah. He has a no trade clause and a 15% trade kicker that will add on to his already ridiculous salary. With the kicker a team needs to take on $29.5M in salary. That's... that's a lot for this version of Melo.
Who trades for him and what kind of trade would it be?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote: Who trades for him and what kind of trade would it be?
I don't know. Maybe Miami in the space vacated by Bosh's contract? You need cap space and an asset to give up. I could see them moving Winslow maybe. They are a bit down on him because he's progressing slowly, then the injury. Other than that I can't really think of anywhere he fits in. Maybe Boston? They won't be moving that Brooklyn pick though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

AmareIsGod wrote:Not related per say. More NBA news. But just saw a headline that IT's sister was killed in a car accident this AM. Tragic. :(

ASU star tight end Todd Heap also ran over and killed his 3 year old this morning.

I saw the Todd Heap thing. That is my greatest fear. How do you live with the guilt and the loss? I feel so sorry for him.

I didn't know about IT's sister. That's horrible.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Jesus! And IT's sister was only 22 years old.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:I saw the Todd Heap thing. That is my greatest fear. How do you live with the guilt and the loss? I feel so sorry for him.
I can't even imagine.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Woj weighs in on all the Knicks drama & how Porzingis is not happy with New York's unprofessionalism: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kristaps-p ... 36997.html
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

JCSunsfan wrote:I don't think the market will be that high for Melo. I see him getting cut or something and going to Cleveland.
Agreed. A Melo trade is incredibly complicated and the return is not going to be good anyways. If Phil is so keen on getting rid of Melo and pointing him as a cancer, give the guy his money, buy him out and start over with Kristaps and #'17. While he is at it, do the same with the monstrosity that is Noah.

Really, Jackson is NYK's main problem at the moment (besides Dolan, of course). He still wants triangle or GTO and players are rumored to be fed up with that crap.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Maybe Jackson is forcing the triangle to make Melo waive his no-trade clause :-)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Bled, Knight, and Len for Melo works, I think. Id do that if they throw in their 2017 draft pick. That's the kind of trade NY would historically do.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

Thankfully we don't have to worry about Melo and his $29.5M salary (after trade kicker) because he'd veto any trade to come here.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

pickle

Post by pickle »

Didn't we just get done talking about how NYC should trade Melo for picks and prospects? They might let him go for very little value, but they are not sending out their pick this year... and what Carey said.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Carmelo Anthony is just a massively overpaid role player.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I can see the Lakers offering Luol Deng and Mozgov, and the Knicks accepting. Might be the only offer they could get.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:Bled, Knight, and Len for Melo works, I think. Id do that if they throw in their 2017 draft pick. That's the kind of trade NY would historically do.
I recall a couple of years ago there was a rumor we were going to send Bled+#13 to NY for #4, which we'd have used on KP.