Around the League: Week 25 - The End of the Regular Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Re: Around the League: Week 25 - The End of the Regular Season

Post by EDC »

The real question is who is the youngest player in this draft? I'm sure that is McD's target. :)

Split T

Post by Split T »

EDC wrote:The real question is who is the youngest player in this draft? I'm sure that is McD's target. :)
Frank Ntilikina I belive. I think he's a great prospect. Although, probably not in the top 3. However, if we get Jackson, I'd consider moving bledsoe for another lottery pick and taking Ntilikina.

Edit: Ike Anigbogu is a couple months younger if he stays in the draft.
Last edited by Split T on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
England Sun wrote:Draft a pg, try and trade with Minni for Towns withbBled and chandler, plus others, I know it's a pipe dream but think he would be perfect with our young core.

Tanking again would be ok if there were similar talent in the draft at C next year.
Ya, not sure anyone could get Towns away from Minny.

As for next years draft, at C there is DeAndre Ayton, a 7'0 240 lb mobile C with perimeter skills. He'll be playing at UA. Mohammed Bamba is the other big one. He's 6'11 and about 200 lbs but actually has a longer wingspan than Rudy Gobert. We'd have to be top 5 to land either of those guys. The real prizes might be Michael Porter, a 6'10 athletic combo forward who can handle and shoot. And Luka Doncic a 6'7 just turned 18 year old who's playing legitimate minutes for Real Madrid.
The only downside of Doncic is that he's not a great athlete, in a position where it almost requires him to be. He plays hard and is a tough SOB for being young, along with having a great feel for the game and winner's presence on the court like Booker. In a way he is a little like Bird was. Just gets it done.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

EDC

Post by EDC »

https://twitter.com/PelicansPR/status/851554884977442817

Some good news. :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:You guys are going total Sarver right now. 1 legit rebuild year finally, and now you wanna chase the playoffs again? Unless the young guys pick it up massively defensively, we wont sniff the playoffs, maybe 35 wins with this team.
I don't think you go out and find middle of the road veterans to take time away from the young guys to make the push. You ride the young guys, develop their skills and toughness and take what you get from them. It's still rebuilding, but not tanking for the sake of tanking, like this year.
My ideal would be to move Chandler, Bledsoe, and Knight and then just play our young core plus our rookies. Basically what we did after the all-star break this year. Do that for the whole year next year. Play to win for sure but we're probably not making the playoffs. However, these guys are good enough that they won't be at the very bottom either but we definitely aren't going to pull a 76ers and play a bunch of D, er... G leaguers.

Basically, I don't see any way we're at the top of the lottery next year. Our young core is just too good and play hard together.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:You guys are going total Sarver right now. 1 legit rebuild year finally, and now you wanna chase the playoffs again? Unless the young guys pick it up massively defensively, we wont sniff the playoffs, maybe 35 wins with this team.
I don't think you go out and find middle of the road veterans to take time away from the young guys to make the push. You ride the young guys, develop their skills and toughness and take what you get from them. It's still rebuilding, but not tanking for the sake of tanking, like this year.
My ideal would be to move Chandler, Bledsoe, and Knight and then just play our young core plus our rookies. Basically what we did after the all-star break this year. Do that for the whole year next year. Play to win for sure but we're probably not making the playoffs. However, these guys are good enough that they won't be at the very bottom either but we definitely aren't going to pull a 76ers and play a bunch of D, er... G leaguers.

Basically, I don't see any way we're at the top of the lottery next year. Our young core is just too good and play hard together.

I'm ok with that. I keep chandler though. He seems to want to be here and I think he's a positive influence for the youngsters. I'd like more than just Dudley on the team as a vet.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:I would much rather trade Bledsoe. I really don't want to trade Warren. I just hope McD is willing to let Bledsoe go. Would suck to trade down in the draft just because McD thinks Bledsoe is part of the core.
That would majorly SUCK!
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Disagree. We have one star, we are about to draft another. We have the cap space to get a third in free agency, if not there we also have the trade pieces. After that its building around the core which is easy enough to do. This team now needs to learn how to win.

This is not "going total Robert Sarver", but going for more tank years is "going total Donald Sterling" in my book.
We have zero stars. Zero. Booker has been great, but lets be real here, he's a kid, he doesnt defend and hasnt been very efficient. Bledose? Hah.

If we stink next year, it's because this team is still super young and terrible defensively. Which is what I expect, unless we go all in on a player like Butler. Even then, chasing the 8th seed to get waxed in the 1st round by the Warriors or Spurs doesnt appeal to me in the slightest. Playing a few more games than the Nets at the expense of the future is silly to me.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
EDC wrote:I would much rather trade Bledsoe. I really don't want to trade Warren. I just hope McD is willing to let Bledsoe go. Would suck to trade down in the draft just because McD thinks Bledsoe is part of the core.
That would majorly SUCK!
Depends on the return.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I'm ok with that. I keep chandler though. He seems to want to be here and I think he's a positive influence for the youngsters. I'd like more than just Dudley on the team as a vet.
Don't forget Barbosa. If Chandler is content to not play much if any, sure. Just seems like a waste.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:

The same core is like 2-15 w/o Bledsoe (I dont actually know the number, but its terrible), I could see us bottom 5 again. So unless we add some veteran winners, I just dont see any major progress next year unless we get Fultz who I think is gonna come in right away and contribute in a big way.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:

The same core is like 2-15 w/o Bledsoe (I dont actually know the number, but its terrible), I could see us bottom 5 again. So unless we add some veteran winners, I just dont see any major progress next year unless we get Fultz who I think is gonna come in right away and contribute in a big way.
I'm counting on it. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Disagree. We have one star, we are about to draft another. We have the cap space to get a third in free agency, if not there we also have the trade pieces. After that its building around the core which is easy enough to do. This team now needs to learn how to win.

This is not "going total Robert Sarver", but going for more tank years is "going total Donald Sterling" in my book.
We have zero stars. Zero. Booker has been great, but lets be real here, he's a kid, he doesnt defend and hasnt been very efficient. Bledose? Hah.

If we stink next year, it's because this team is still super young and terrible defensively. Which is what I expect, unless we go all in on a player like Butler. Even then, chasing the 8th seed to get waxed in the 1st round by the Warriors or Spurs doesnt appeal to me in the slightest. Playing a few more games than the Nets at the expense of the future is silly to me.
Exactly. We all hope we have a future star in booker, but you aren't a star until you do something that matters, consistently, in games that matter. We are a long way from that.

I would like to keep Tyson on the team, even if he only plays 12 minutes a game. I think having a veteran that earned a ring on the bench with these young guys.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Weird ads in Tapatalk today. I guess Westy really isn't aging well. Image

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Here's Westy from last week.

Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:I'd keep Chandler. Bledsoe depends on who we draft. If we draft a pg, I'd move Bledsoe. If we draft a sf, I'd keep him, but probably move Warren.
I don't really want to move Warren. All he needs is continuity. Chriss-Warren as interchangeable SF/PF has my attention. If Bender is ever capable of playing some C, as the FO supposedly envisioned, that makes a pretty skilled frontcourt, but each player has at least one glaring flaw.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Anyone thinks Thomas should get more MVP considerations? I never thought of him as MVP because he doesn't have the all-around stats of Westbrook and Harden, but he's the offensive pillar of the top team in the east. I guess the problem is Rockets have more wins anyway :)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think any other year he'd be a top candidate and get more publicity. But Westbrook and Harden are head and shoulders above everyone else and dominate every conversation. I mean, IT is putting up 29 and 6 and I feel like he's flying under the radar.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I'm also not willing to give up on Warren. He's not a natural at defense, but he has the length to be at least useful in the passing lanes. Maybe if he dedicates more energy to that end he will at least be near or above average on D and become a great #4 guy on a championship. That'd almost be a luxury.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't have a problem with Warren. He's a fine player and has looked good these last few weeks. I just think it'd be hard to have him and Jackson or Tatum on the same team and get them their minutes.