Around the League: Week 25 - The End of the Regular Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Around the League: Week 25 - The End of the Regular Season

Post by ShelC »

I think Warren would have a lot more value playing with a guy like Ball or maybe in some motion offense where his cutting and mid range game could really be taken advantage of.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hermen wrote:Anyone thinks Thomas should get more MVP considerations? I never thought of him as MVP because he doesn't have the all-around stats of Westbrook and Harden, but he's the offensive pillar of the top team in the east. I guess the problem is Rockets have more wins anyway :)
He is also, statistically, the worst defensive player in the league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Hermen wrote:Anyone thinks Thomas should get more MVP considerations? I never thought of him as MVP because he doesn't have the all-around stats of Westbrook and Harden, but he's the offensive pillar of the top team in the east. I guess the problem is Rockets have more wins anyway :)
By quite a large margin, according to DRPM. http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/ ... /sort/DRPM

Brandon Knight, Devin Booker, and TJ Warren also make the last page.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
By quite a large margin, according to DRPM. http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/ ... /sort/DRPM

Brandon Knight, Devin Booker, and TJ Warren also make the last page.
Thomas and Denis Schroder are the only starters on winning teams on that page.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/852349041799290880

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/852352114978299904

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

pickle

Post by pickle »

I'm just not that high on Tatum. If we have this high pick, I'd rather use it on something that's an area of need, rather than on an incremental improvement over what we already have. Now if Tatum is known as a great defender whose efforts on that end are likely to translate to the pro game, then I'm in. If he's just a craftier version of Warren, then I'd rather go for something else.

TOO

Post by TOO »

pickle wrote:I'm just not that high on Tatum. If we have this high pick, I'd rather use it on something that's an area of need, rather than on an incremental improvement over what we already have. Now if Tatum is known as a great defender whose efforts on that end are likely to translate to the pro game, then I'm in. If he's just a craftier version of Warren, then I'd rather go for something else.
He's more Danny Granger than Warren. Granger was a helluva player before the injuries. Tatum would give us a solid 2nd scorer with Booker.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I know McD gets a lot of shit here, but man, at least he's not Hennigan.

https://theringer.com/orlando-magic-reb ... f40c979339
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Cap

Post by Cap »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I know McD gets a lot of s*** here, but man, at least he's not Hennigan.

McD isn't a terrible GM. He's decidedly mediocre. But for a community that grew up on Jerry and Cotton, mediocre kinda sucks.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Such a shame that Miami didn't make it. Too bad Waiters got injured (and Dragic missed a key game vs Indiana with his black eye), they could cause trouble to their first round opponent. Anyone knows if Nurkic will be playing for Portland in the playoffs? That would make the series with GSW a bit more interesting.

pickle

Post by pickle »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
pickle wrote:I'm just not that high on Tatum. If we have this high pick, I'd rather use it on something that's an area of need, rather than on an incremental improvement over what we already have. Now if Tatum is known as a great defender whose efforts on that end are likely to translate to the pro game, then I'm in. If he's just a craftier version of Warren, then I'd rather go for something else.
He's more Danny Granger than Warren. Granger was a helluva player before the injuries. Tatum would give us a solid 2nd scorer with Booker.
Always understood Granger to be a defense first guy who developed an outside shot. Have not read that Tatum is currently a plus defender, other than that he has the tools to be one...?

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I know McD gets a lot of shit here, but man, at least he's not Hennigan.

Hennigan was fired today: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... story.html

I guess McDonough is now the youngest GM in the league again?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Hermen wrote:Such a shame that Miami didn't make it. Too bad Waiters got injured (and Dragic missed a key game vs Indiana with his black eye), they could cause trouble to their first round opponent. Anyone knows if Nurkic will be playing for Portland in the playoffs? That would make the series with GSW a bit more interesting.
I would much rather see Miami than Chicago.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:I would much rather see Miami than Chicago.
I loathe the way Chicago made it in over Miami. Brooklyn sat 6 players for no god damn reason at all. They don't even have their pick. If I were Miami the Nets would be my mortal enemy for the foreseeable future.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think pretty much everyone would want to see Miami instead of Chicago. Miami-Boston would be a great series with hard-nosed basketball and great coaching. Silver should get Miami in and use the "for basketball reasons" line.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

carey wrote:
I loathe the way Chicago made it in over Miami. Brooklyn sat 6 players for no god damn reason at all. They don't even have their pick. If I were Miami the Nets would be my mortal enemy for the foreseeable future.
I agree totally. Atlanta sat almost everyone against Indiana as well.

It is one thing to tank against in a game that has no playoff implications. It is another thing to tank against a team fighting for the playoffs. That should be punished.

I also think that Spolestra is a very underrated coach.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JustWinBaby wrote:
carey wrote:
I agree totally. Atlanta sat almost everyone against Indiana as well.

It is one thing to tank against in a game that has no playoff implications. It is another thing to tank against a team fighting for the playoffs. That should be punished.

I also think that Spolestra is a very underrated coach.
I don't think risking injury to your key players before the playoffs start is smart, especially if it won't impact your seeding. I wouldn't support punishing a team for protecting their playoff odds.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

538 has the Suns ranked dead last in Title victory chance this season.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... edictions/

They have the Warriors as the favorites, obvs. They give the Cavs a 2% chance. I tend to agree. You can talk all day about turning it on, but if the Cas get the rings this season that will be a historic "turning it on." Teams just don't limp into the playoffs with 51 wins and suddenly start playing hard and playing together. They certainly have the talent. We will see how much they can flip the switch.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

Dead last in CARMELO, you mean. When it comes to title chances, all non-playoff teams are tied at zero.