Playoff Predictions

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Playoff Predictions

Post by Mori Chu »

Okay, the matchups are set; let's talk playoffs? Feel free to answer in as much or as little depth as you desire. Myself, I want to give brief predictions and discussion of each series.

1ST ROUND:
EAST:

1 Boston vs 8 Chicago
prediction: Boston in 4

I just don't buy into Chicago at all. They stumbled backwards into the playoffs and have horrible outside shooting. Maybe Butler goes off for 1 game and makes it a 5-game series, but I see no chance for the Bulls here.

2 Cleveland vs 7 Indiana
prediction: Cavs in 5

Indy is a team I like better than Chicago, but they have a lot of mismatched pieces and haven't really looked good most of the year. A lot of people are predicting that the Cavs will struggle in the playoffs, perhaps in this first round, but I think Cleveland turns it up a notch and takes care of business. Indy wins Game 3 on their home floor but the Cavs finish it off back home in Game 5.

3 Toronto vs 6 Milwaukee
prediction: Raptors in 5

Everybody likes the Greek Freak, but I think Toronto is a really scary playoff team. I think they will make short work of the Bucks. Tucker is a nice addition for the Raps, as is Ibaka. Scary tough team.

4 Washington vs 5 Atlanta
prediction: Wizards in 6

The Wiz are pretty bad on defense, and the Hawks are a well coached veteran team, which is why I think Atlanta steals 1 or 2 games here. But I like the Wiz much more and don't believe in Atlanta very much.

WEST:

1 Golden State vs 8 Portland
prediction: Warriors in 4

Portland is totally outgunned here, especially with KD back. Next.

2 San Antonio vs 7 Memphis
prediction: Spurs in 6

Memphis is sneaky good. I think they will be a very tough out. This series will take its toll on the Spurs.

3 Houston vs 6 Oklahoma City
prediction: Houston in 5

I think Russ will win the MVP, but Harden and the Rockets will make short work of them here. You can't 1-on-5 your way to wins in the playoffs. Sorry, Westbrook.

4 LA Clippers vs 5 Utah
prediction: Jazz in 6

Our only first-round upset! I think the Jazz are ready to take it to the next level. They'll steal one of the first two in LA, then win both on their home floor, then lose game 5, then come back to Utah and close it out in Game 6. This initiates the great Clippers teardown of 2017 where Blake and others are shipped out.

2ND ROUND:
EAST:

1 Boston vs 4 Washington
prediction: Washington in 6

An upset here! I think the Wiz are going to surprise some people in this year's playoffs. Boston is talented but too young and too reliant on a tiny PG who hogs the ball.

2 Cleveland vs 3 Toronto
prediction: Cavs in 7

WEST:

1 Golden State vs 5 Utah
prediction: Warriors in 5

2 San Antonio vs 3 Houston
prediction: Spurs in 5

CONF. FINALS

EAST:

2 Cleveland vs 4 Washington
prediction: Cavs in 5

WEST:

1 Golden State vs 2 San Antonio
prediction: Warriors in 6

NBA FINALS

1 Golden State vs 2 Cleveland
prediction: Warriors in 5

Mori Chu

Re: Playoff Predictions

Post by Mori Chu »

Short version of the above:

1ST ROUND EAST:
1 Boston beats 8 Chicago in 4 (4-0)
2 Cleveland beats 7 Indiana in 5 (4-1)
3 Toronto beats 6 Milwaukee in 5 (4-1)
4 Washington beats 5 Atlanta in 6 (4-2)

1ST ROUND WEST:
1 Golden State beats 8 Portland in 4 (4-0)
2 San Antonio beats 7 Memphis in 6 (4-2)
3 Houston beats 6 Oklahoma City in 5 (4-1)
4 LA Clippers beats 5 Utah in 6 (4-2)

2ND ROUND EAST:
4 Washington beats 1 Boston in 6 (4-2)
2 Cleveland beats 3 Toronto in 7 (4-3)

2ND ROUND WEST:
1 Golden State beats 5 Utah in 5 (4-1)
2 San Antonio beats 3 Houston in 5 (4-1)

CONF. FINALS:
2 Cleveland beats 4 Washington in 5 (4-1)
1 Golden State beats 2 San Antonio in 6 (4-2)

NBA FINALS:
1 Golden State beats 2 Cleveland in 5 (4-1)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Eastern Conference First Round

Boston over Chicago in 5

Boston hasn't been playing great, but I don't think they have too much trouble with Chicago.

Cleveland over Indiana in 6

Caves are also struggling lately, but not enough to lose in round 1. Although,Paul George has a big series and Indy steals a couple games.

Toronto over Milwaukee in 6

The bucks put up a fight, but Toronto just has too many weapons. Giannis has a big series.

Wizards over Hawks in 5

Hawks snag a game, but wizards roll through this one pretty easily.

Western Conference First Round

Warriors over Blazers in 5

Lillard and McCollum get hot and steal 1 game, but fall pretty easily otherwise.

Spurs over Grizzlies in 4

Grizzlies haven't looked good(finished only 2 games ahead of Portland) and probably lost tony Allen. Spurs have no trouble dispatching them.

Rockets over Thunder in 7

Westbrook backs up his MVP(won't be announced till after finals) by pushing the rockets to the brink. Harden and his shooters prove to be too much though.

Jazz over Clippers in 7

Back and forth series where each game goes down to the wire. Jazz sneak out a road victory in game 7 behind a big night from Rudy gobert.

Eastern conference semifinals

Wizards over Celtics in 6

Bad matchup for Boston. IT can't defend wall or beal. Wizards take advantage and pull off the upset in 6

Raptors over Cavs in 6

Cavs can't seem to flip the switch for more than 1 game. Raptors are clicking on all cylinders and upset the defending champs.

Western Conference Semi finals

Warriors over Jazz in 5

Gobert causes some trouble, but not enough to stop the warriors.

Rockets over Spurs in 7

Back and forth series. Rockets catch fire in game 7 and cruise into conference finals.

Eastern Finals

Raptors over Wizards in 5

Raptors are on a roll now and can't be stopped. Beal catches fire in game 4 to stave off elimination, but not for long.

Western Finals

Warriors over Rockets in 6

Rockets win a couple on big 3 pt shooting nights, but warriors are too much to handle.

Finals

Warriors over Raptors in 5

Raptors run hits a brick wall as warriors make quick work.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

HOU OKC is going to be very passionate. I'm really looking forward to that one, and LAC GSW in the second round.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

TOO

Post by TOO »

I will be rooting for anyone but the Warriors again this year, go field!
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:HOU OKC is going to be very passionate.
When do we find out who won MVP?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Cap wrote:
Unfortunately, after the season on an awards show (unless Woj scoops the whole thing first).

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Durant's defection to the Warriors has made this entire playoffs much less interesting. Imagine if he was still playing with the Thunder. The battle in the west between Houston, OKC, GS, and San Antonio would be VERY interesting. Now OKC is depleted and GS is the favorite above everyone else.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Whoever's team wins the series, wins MVP. At least that's how it should be. Would add a lot of drama to the series.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Cap wrote:
Unfortunately, after the season on an awards show (unless Woj scoops the whole thing first).
The season is over.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:Durant's defection to the Warriors has made this entire playoffs much less interesting. Imagine if he was still playing with the Thunder. The battle in the west between Houston, OKC, GS, and San Antonio would be VERY interesting. Now OKC is depleted and GS is the favorite above everyone else.
Totally agree. Durant sucks for his decision which ruined the balance of power.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:Durant's defection to the Warriors has made this entire playoffs much less interesting. Imagine if he was still playing with the Thunder. The battle in the west between Houston, OKC, GS, and San Antonio would be VERY interesting. Now OKC is depleted and GS is the favorite above everyone else.
And for this, I will forever root against him, just like LeBron. If they meet in the finals, I will boo them both, but root harder for Durant to lose, because, screw that guy.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

1ST ROUND:
EAST:

1 Boston vs 8 Chicago
prediction: Boston in 6.

2 Cleveland vs 7 Indiana
prediction: Cavs in 4.

3 Toronto vs 6 Milwaukee
prediction: Raptors in 6.

prediction: Atlanta in 6.

WEST:

prediction: Warriors in 5.

prediction: Spurs in 5

prediction: Houston in 7

4 LA Clippers vs 5 Utah
prediction: Clippers in 7.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Cap wrote:
The season is over.
This is stupid. These awards should be announced right after the regular season ends.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Boston in 6.
Cleveland in 5.
Toronto in 6.
Washington in 7.
GSW in 4.
San Antonio in 4.
Houston in 6.
Jazz in 7.

Will elaborate when I can get to a real keyboard. Will make second round predictions when I know about my first round results.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EAST:

1 Boston vs 8 Chicago
prediction: Boston in 5

2 Cleveland vs 7 Indiana
prediction: Cavs in 4

3 Toronto vs 6 Milwaukee
prediction: Raptors in 6

prediction: Wizards in 6

WEST:

prediction: Warriors in 4

prediction: Spurs in 6

prediction: Houston in 6

4 LA Clippers vs 5 Utah
prediction: Jazz in 7
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

I predict Cleveland takes Game 1 from Indiana, 109-108.

pickle

Post by pickle »

pickle wrote:Boston in 6.
Cleveland in 5.
Toronto in 6.
Washington in 7.
GSW in 4.
San Antonio in 4.
Houston in 6.
Jazz in 7.

Will elaborate when I can get to a real keyboard. Will make second round predictions when I know about my first round results.
I've got a keyboard now, though the first game for all first round matchups have been played, so I'm not sure if this is a bit of hindsight is 20/20. But here goes.

Boston in 6: IT is too small, his defense is just not there, and on defense it's almost impossible to hide him during the playoffs. Also I can't shake the way Atlanta really shut him down last year during the post season. Boston's inability to rebound, that they still lack a second scorer who can truly step up above the rest of their field and complement IT on offense, both make me feel like this won't be a short series. On the other hand, I also cannot see Chicago playing well enough to actually take 4 from Boston.

Cleveland in 5: The Pacers match up kind of okay with the Cavs, as PG13 may be the best guy in the East to slow down LeBron. Between him, CJ Miles, Lance, and Monta, I feel like there's enough random hot hands and scoring outbursts for the Pacers to steal at least one game. But I don't think the Cavs' lack of defensive focus will hurt them enough for them to fall to the Pacers.

Toronto in 6: Lowry and DeRozan have not proven that they can step up in the post season. While I like Tucker and Ibaka for them (yes I think Tucker is a bigger addition), I fear that they didn't take advantage of JV's break out playoff performance last year and might have hurt his confidence a bit this year. Even though Milwaukee took game one, I still don't think they have what it takes to upset the Raptors. At this point losing game 1 is like Jamie Foxx's puking before the game in Any Given Sunday. This is how Toronto suddenly understands that it's in the post season now. They'll still win the series on sheer talent alone.

Washington in 7: The Hawks had a massively inconsistent season, but those two consecutive wins over the Cavs were impressive. I think they have some good depth and that Budenhozer system is very effective. This series might not go full 7 games, but the Hawks are no pushovers and the Wizards just haven't developed that killer instinct for the post season yet.

GSW in 4: No explanation necessary.

San Antonio in 4: San Antonio is a very disciplined team and I'm not surprised at all that they were #2 in the West in the regular season. In fact I believe I called this before the start of the season. I understand that the post season is different, but it's also a time when stars truly shine, and the Grizzlies simply lack stars. Gasol and Conley are great but the drop off after those two is precipitous, and Tony Allen is now hurt for an extended time. The Grizzlies may grind one out in this series, but I would be surprised.

Houston in 6: This is out of sheer respect for Westbrook, and the fact that Houston is just as likely to hit 20 three pointers in 35 tries are they are to hit 5 in 40 tries. The Thunder will take at least one and hopefully two in this series.

Jazz in 7: I made this prediction based on Gobert playing, and 11 seconds in he's hurt. But they still gutted out that first game anyway. Amazing. The Clippers aren't a team that I feel like has that killer instinct either. I am just not impressed by Blake Griffin or DeAndre Jordan in pressure situations (also a reason why I never liked any proposals that would bring Blake to the Suns -- he's just a regular season warrior). I can't imagine Joe Johnson putting up 20 points every game, and I think Favors is not physically ready for 7 games of pounding from Jordan. This one I'll probably have to revise to Clippers in 6, but I sure would like to see the Jazz advancing.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Incidentally, I'd trade Len for Olynyk in the off season. Sign and trade or something. They could use Len's defensive rebounding and shot blocking, and I like Olynyk better for what the Suns need. But I also wouldn't want to pay Olynyk much more than 12 mil per.

Indy

Post by Indy »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Superbone wrote:
And for this, I will forever root against him, just like LeBron. If they meet in the finals, I will boo them both, but root harder for Durant to lose, because, screw that guy.
Should his allegiance be to himself or his boss? Where do you stand in your professional life?