NBA Western Conference Playoffs Round 1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: NBA Western Conference Playoffs Round 1

Post by ShelC »

Isn't it funny how Doc was a genius in Boston when he had KG, Ray and Rondo (and some pretty good assistants) and now can't get out of the 1st round?

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:Isn't it funny how Doc was a genius in Boston when he had KG, Ray and Rondo (and some pretty good assistants) and now can't get out of the 1st round?
It is 'funny' in that I can't get how anyone ever thought of him as a great coach. Is Lue great because he has a ring too?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That's what I thought of him as a player, too.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Clips should go the Houston route and just surround CP3 with a ton of 3-and-D players, at spots 2 through 4. Then put DeAndre out there at the 5, maybe with another 3-point shooting big as his backup. Shoot a zillion 3s with CP3 setting everybody up.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Spurs are getting absolutely destroyed by Houston right now, down 78-45 in the 3rd. It's a massacre. Biggest halftime deficit in the franchise history of the Spurs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The only positive I can think of for the Spurs here is that Mike D'Antoni is, in very Mike D fashion, continuing to play most of his starters even though he is up by 40 points. So maybe Houston will wear down faster as the series goes on?

Cap

Post by Cap »

The last time Pop faced MDA without Duncan, what happened? 8-)

EDC

Post by EDC »

So glad we whiffed on LMA. :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The Spurs are getting absolutely destroyed by Houston right now, down 78-45 in the 3rd. It's a massacre. Biggest halftime deficit in the franchise history of the Spurs.
The start reminded me of when the Nash Suns would go up big early but lose the game in the end. But Houston never let down or let them back in the game. I forgot that this is the first time D'Antoni has gone against Pop in the playoffs since his Suns days. D'Antoni could never beat the Spurs. It wasn't until he left and Gentry took over that we swept them. Things are looking different in this series so far.
"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The Spurs are getting absolutely destroyed by Houston right now, down 78-45 in the 3rd. It's a massacre. Biggest halftime deficit in the franchise history of the Spurs.
The start reminded me of when the Nash Suns would go up big early but lose the game in the end. But Houston never let down or let them back in the game. I forgot that this is the first time D'Antoni has gone against Pop in the playoffs since his Suns days. D'Antoni could never beat the Spurs. It wasn't until he left and Gentry took over that we swept them. Things are looking different in this series so far.
There is a big difference in that in Houston he is legitimately 8 deep and really could go deeper but no one is playing a crap load of minutes, so he is sticking with the first 8. He has a back up point guard in Beverly who not only shares the ball and scores but is a legit pain in the ass defender. He also is 2 deep at the center spot with Capella and Nene. These are two positions that we had Amare and Nash with no legit back ups. What a freaking shame.

Why didn't we draft Capella? We passed on him twice in 2014. We drafted Warren at 14 and Ennis at 19 Capella went 25 to Houston. I would much rather have him that Alex Len. If this series does not reinforce the fact that we should not keep Alex Len, wait until the next series if Houston meets the Warriors.

Yeah I sure wish he were our coach. I hope Watson is watching.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Houston / Golden State is going to be really fun to watch, high scoring and high paced. We may have not won, but our style and influence on the league lives on.

Indy

Post by Indy »

EDC wrote:So glad we whiffed on LMA. :)
AMEN

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Why didn't we draft Capella? We passed on him twice in 2014.
Almost every draft has some guy like that who goes in the late 1st round or 2nd round and surprises everybody. I don't think it is fair to criticize all of the teams who missed out on the special player. Nobody saw Greek Freak coming, or Rudy Gobert, or Draymond Green, or plenty of other guys. I don't think the teams who drafted these guys are geniuses; in most cases it's a bit of savvy combined with a lot of luck. Overall I think we have drafted pretty well over the past 5-6 years.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Almost every draft has some guy like that who goes in the late 1st round or 2nd round and surprises everybody. I don't think it is fair to criticize all of the teams who missed out on the special player. Nobody saw Greek Freak coming, or Rudy Gobert, or Draymond Green, or plenty of other guys. I don't think the teams who drafted these guys are geniuses; in most cases it's a bit of savvy combined with a lot of luck. Overall I think we have drafted pretty well over the past 5-6 years.
Which begs the question. With this draft being widely regarded as very deep and talented, who are the sleeper players that are in this draft?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Pips

Post by Pips »

Ask that in 2019.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm asking the soothsayers on here, so we can all avoid the pitfalls and heartbreaks.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
We got that guy last summer.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
EDC wrote:So glad we whiffed on LMA. :)
AMEN
Big thanks to Pat Riley on that one.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Which begs the question. With this draft being widely regarded as very deep and talented, who are the sleeper players that are in this draft?
I dont know that they are considered sleepers, but guys who I think will end up better than players taken above them are Zach Collins, Terrance Ferguson, Justin Jackson, Bam Adebyo, Jawun Evan, Jonah Bolden, and Omer Yurtseven.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Queue Inf to list some random 6-8 SG/SF from Luxembourg's 2nd Division as his sleeper we should trade up for.