NBA Western Conference Playoffs Round 1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: NBA Western Conference Playoffs Round 1

Post by bajanguy008 »

I really didn't expect Gobert to be playing already, he's having a solid game too

Even more puzzling is Hayward having food poisoning, yes that can happen at any time but you pretty much always hear these scenarios for a road team. wifee or the chef had a lapse ? smh :shock: :?
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Utah is about to tie up their series 2-2. Up by 7 with 18 seconds left.

Their coach, Quinn Snyder, looks like the liquid metal Terminator from T2.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Utah is about to tie up their series 2-2. Up by 7 with 18 seconds left.

Their coach, Quinn Snyder, looks like the liquid metal Terminator from T2.
Robert Patrick.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Quinn Snyder looks more like Wormtongue from LOTR.

pickle

Post by pickle »

carey wrote:Yes, probably the best basketball game I've seen in some time. If you'd have asked if I thought it would come from the S.A. / Memphis series before the playoffs started I'd have just laughed at you.

I'm sure S.A. is still supremely confident but (Gary Bender voice) all of a sudden the series is tied 2-2. Probably not what they had in mind.
I'm really surprised by how ineffective Aldridge is. I wonder if this is a) not being the alpha takes the edge off of his game and he can no longer be effective when he wants to be, b) his conditioning is suffering due to his heart issues, or c) he is experiencing a natural decline in his early 30s. Whatever it is I'm glad we didn't get him.

carey

Post by carey »

I feel like I wrote a post about Gobert last night and now it's gone. Did I put it in a different thread? Weird.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:Trump's influence reaches NBA basketball:
Maybe not the right forum for this, but it's not a Trumpism unless he goes after the reporter by name, calling him a disgusting disgrace from a failing outfit. What Westbrook does here is just garden variety pissy-with-the-press.

Yeah, and he provided an articulate answer the first time, it's a sports interview, so you always can either go ranting, go analytics or go common places in your answers, this is not a congresional hearing, so if the reporter can keep pushing his question, Westbrook can wave him off. Is not like Wetsbrook had said "next question" from the beginning. And I actually liked the essence of his answer a lot.
Agreed. The tag line from that video is pretty off-base.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My favorite thing about that Westbrook clip is that the question is for Adams and Westbrook hogs the mic instead, just like he hogs the ball in the game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:My favorite thing about that Westbrook clip is that the question is for Adams and Westbrook hogs the mic instead, just like he hogs the ball in the game.
I think your bias is clouding your judgment with him again. The question is basically, "Steven, why can't you or the rest of the team get it done when Russ is on the bench?" It is a bullshit question meant to do exactly what Russ said. I would hope that if Devin were asked the same thing next year, that he would have a similar comment about not dividing the team.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I'll give Westbrook credit for deflecting a question designed to stir the pot.
He's the de facto team leader and he's trying, in his own way, to protect teammates' back.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

LazarusLong wrote:I'll give Westbrook credit for deflecting a question designed to stir the pot.
He's the de facto team leader and he's trying, in his own way, to protect teammates' back.
I agree. This wasn't a congressional hearing where he had to answer under penalty of perjury. This particular reporter seems like he thinks he's entitled to an answer and is more important than he actually is.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I don't fault the reporter for asking the question, but his persistent follow-up and complaining made him (reporter) look like an ass. He was the one who came off ranting, not Westbrook...

Plus, if one really wants to get to the root of who's on the floor when, that should be directed at the coach.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I agree with you guys. It's an especially rotten question after just going down 1-3 in a game you had to have. I'd love to see that reporter continue to push a question at Pop and see what happens. He probably wouldn't dare in the first place.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Watching the Warriors last night just reaffirmed my belief that we shouldn't make a single move that impacts our long term development in favor of short term gains this summer. That team is in a different league than us and, barring injury to their big 4, it will be a while before we can close the gap in a meaningful way.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:Watching the Warriors last night just reaffirmed my belief that we shouldn't make a single move that impacts our long term development in favor of short term gains this summer. That team is in a different league than us and, barring injury to their big 4, it will be a while before we can close the gap in a meaningful way.
Great point! Grow it naturally and by the time we're ready to compete the landscape may be totally different. At least this Warriors super team shouldn't be at their peak by then.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That is a good point about the Warriors. But I think people tend to overestimate the longevity of superteams or dynasties in the NBA. A lot of them are hot for 2-3-4 years and then taper off. It's really hard for a team to keep playing deep into the postseason year after year after year. It grinds down the players, and role players start wanting big paydays, and players get injured, etc. I do think this iteration of the Warriors can contend for titles for the next several years, but it wouldn't be surprising if they had regressed a bit by 3-4 years from now. So I think gradual improvement with a goal of being great in 3-4 years is the goal I'd like to target.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The key will be if they can keep all 4 together. Let's assume they win this year and resign Durant and curry in the offseason. That locks up the big 4 for two more years. Let's say they win 2018 and 2019 too. Does Klay re-sign knowing he's the 4th option? Or does he take a bigger role on a lesser team? Hard to know where he stands, he'd have won 4 titles in 5 years, he might want to keep that going or he might want to see if he can create a bigger legacy than 4th best player on a dynasty. Draymond is a free agent the year after and would have a similar decision to make. You've also got to assume their bench will continue to weaken as they can't afford much after they super max curry and Durant this off season. I think they'll win the next 3 titles, barring anything crazy, but 2020 could be an interesting year.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Lots of stuff can happen in that time. I remember thinking that Kobe and Shaq were going to rule the NBA for another 4 years at least, and then all of a sudden it was over for them. I tend to agree with keeping the Suns core, building through the draft and letting them grow together, but I could be tempted with a sensible trade that doesn't disrupt the plan and brings in a player or players that add to the timeline and/or can accelerate the maturation and extend the relevance to the top of the NBA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

That is a good point about the Warriors. But I think people tend to overestimate the longevity of superteams or dynasties in the NBA. A lot of them are hot for 2-3-4 years and then taper off. It's really hard for a team to keep playing deep into the postseason year after year after year. It grinds down the players, and role players start wanting big paydays, and players get injured, etc. I do think this iteration of the Warriors can contend for titles for the next several years, but it wouldn't be surprising if they had regressed a bit by 3-4 years from now. So I think gradual improvement with a goal of being great in 3-4 years is the goal I'd like to target.
The key will be if they can keep all 4 together. Let's assume they win this year and resign Durant and curry in the offseason. That locks up the big 4 for two more years. Let's say they win 2018 and 2019 too. Does Klay re-sign knowing he's the 4th option? Or does he take a bigger role on a lesser team? Hard to know where he stands, he'd have won 4 titles in 5 years, he might want to keep that going or he might want to see if he can create a bigger legacy than 4th best player on a dynasty. Draymond is a free agent the year after and would have a similar decision to make. You've also got to assume their bench will continue to weaken as they can't afford much after they super max curry and Durant this off season. I think they'll win the next 3 titles, barring anything crazy, but 2020 could be an interesting year.
Lots of stuff can happen in that time. I remember thinking that Kobe and Shaq were going to rule the NBA for another 4 years at least, and then all of a sudden it was over for them. I tend to agree with keeping the Suns core, building through the draft and letting them grow together, but I could be tempted with a sensible trade that doesn't disrupt the plan and brings in a player or players that add to the timeline and/or can accelerate the maturation and extend the relevance to the top of the NBA.
Right. I agree with all of you. Lots can happen. But there's a massive gap to close. The good news is, we're trending in the right direction as opposed to a few other West teams whose peaks are coinciding with the Warrior's.

Let's just be patient and smart. Don't throw $28M a year at Blake Griffin. Or give up the farm for one year of Paul George.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Agreed, I'm perfectly content to let this team grow through the draft and through the progress of our current youth. I'd consider a big trade if it landed us a 25/26 or younger star with multiple years left on their contract or a stud about to hit restricted free agency that we could match any offer for. I don't think there are many of those guys out there though that would be available.