NBA Western Conference Playoffs Round 1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: NBA Western Conference Playoffs Round 1

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:Queue Inf to list some random 6-8 SG/SF from Luxembourg's 2nd Division as his sleeper we should trade up for.
:lol:
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Why didn't we draft Capella? We passed on him twice in 2014.
Almost every draft has some guy like that who goes in the late 1st round or 2nd round and surprises everybody. I don't think it is fair to criticize all of the teams who missed out on the special player. Nobody saw Greek Freak coming, or Rudy Gobert, or Draymond Green, or plenty of other guys. I don't think the teams who drafted these guys are geniuses; in most cases it's a bit of savvy combined with a lot of luck. Overall I think we have drafted pretty well over the past 5-6 years.
Which begs the question. With this draft being widely regarded as very deep and talented, who are the sleeper players that are in this draft?
I dont know that they are considered sleepers, but guys who I think will end up better than players taken above them are Zach Collins, Terrance Ferguson, Justin Jackson, Bam Adebyo, Jawun Evan, Jonah Bolden, and Omer Yurtseven.
I kind of like Deonte Burton, Peter Jok, Semi Ojeleye, Jordan Bell, and Anzejs Pasecniks or could see them as sleepers.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Almost every draft has some guy like that who goes in the late 1st round or 2nd round and surprises everybody. I don't think it is fair to criticize all of the teams who missed out on the special player. Nobody saw Greek Freak coming, or Rudy Gobert, or Draymond Green, or plenty of other guys. I don't think the teams who drafted these guys are geniuses; in most cases it's a bit of savvy combined with a lot of luck. Overall I think we have drafted pretty well over the past 5-6 years.
We got that guy last summer.
You putting Ulis in the Freak/Gobert/Green category?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
We got that guy last summer.
You putting Ulis in the Freak/Gobert/Green category?
Ulis might never be an allstar (although he has the skills and heart for it), but I think he's the best of the guys taken late in the draft. He could be one of the 5 best guys in the draft when it's all said and done.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

We didn't see a strong rookie class this year. There were a few late 1st and 2nd round steals(Skal Labissiere, Malcolm Brogdon, Tyler Ulis, Ivica Zubac, Patrick McCaw, Paul Zipser) None of those guys stand out like Gobert, Draymond, Jokic etc.

As for this years draft, I think Harry Giles could be a stud. Although, everyone knows he's got the talent. If he drops it will be for health reasons or just his underwhelming freshman year(kinda like Skal). I think Semi Ojeyle is interesting. He's built like Draymond and has a little of Draymond's offensive game, but not so defensively. Mix Semi Ojeyle with Jordan Bell and you might have Draymond. I don't know that Jordan will be quite as versatile defensively as Draymond, but he's a better athlete and could be a steal. Hamidou Diallo is interesting if he stays in the draft. He graduated early from HS and joined Kentucky in January but never played. He's probably going back to Kentucky and shooting for the 2018 lottery, but he's a big time athlete with length that can play D. Wesley Iwundu is an older prospect, but he plays D, can shoot a bit and can create for others. I don't think he'll be a star, but he'll go in round 2 and could have a Malcolm Brogdon like rookie year.

Internationally, I think Kostja Mushidi is a little under the radar. He's 18, athletic, but can't shoot. Mathias Lessort is very intriguing to me. He's strong and very athletic and putting up big numbers overseas. Terrance Ferguson has struggled in Australia, but he was great in those high school all star games(i think he may have won mvp in one of them) He's a great shooter and shooters will always have a place in the NBA. Alpha Kaba is another. He spreads the floor on offense and protects the rim on defense.

Lastly, if a guy like Bam Adebayo drops, I've seen him late 1st on some mocks, he's another potential steal.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I remember wanting Dakari Johnson and being upset when we traded a pick for Jon Leuer that we could have used on Dakari. Since then, Dakari has been tearing up the D League but has yet to,play in the NBA. So I'm trying not to be too enthusiastic about Bam.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

I remember when the Lakers and everyone else who would listen beat up Mike D'Antoni for how he coached Dwight Howard and Paul Gasol. He tried to use them the best way he could but they would not listen. Who would want either of those guys on their team next year.

The league has passed them by. Paul Gasol has a player option for $16 Million next year and Dwight Howard is reportedly upset with how he was used this year and is only worth a 2nd rounder on the open market.

I think McDonough got it right last summer with both Chriss and Bender and I hope we can somehow land another big that can run the court and shoot like Markkanen, this summer.

Please do not resign Alex Len.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

carey

Post by carey »

Still need rebounds and interior defense. You just can't pay a premium for it anymore. That goes to shooters now.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Agreed, also have to factor in, that you can take different risks at Top 5-10 that later in the draft. Many people where calling drafting the Greek a reach even at that spot. But while players can only fall so far as undrafted, teams can turn a low pick into a homerun by drafting am athletic freak, taking a flyer at someone's health bill (Harry Giles this year) or later fill a summer team with prospects that fell between the cracks. Then you look like genius, doing something you wouldn't have done picking earlier.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:We didn't see a strong rookie class this year. There were a few late 1st and 2nd round steals(Skal Labissiere, Malcolm Brogdon, Tyler Ulis, Ivica Zubac, Patrick McCaw, Paul Zipser) None of those guys stand out like Gobert, Draymond, Jokic etc.
I would add Dejounte Murray to that list as a late guy who could end up being a great pick. But of all of those, I think Skal and Ulis are the only ones who can become stars, and I don't think either will. But you never know. Draymond Green wouldn't have been predicted as a star 2 seasons in to his career. Heck, halfway through his third year, most people thought he was just a cute strategy move by Kerr.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's possible that there is a connection with players, patience, opportunities, and cultivation to grow into stars. IIRC, Michael Jordan was pretty dissatisfied with Scottie Pippen for awhile, until he grew into the all-star and perfect second star on the team to him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass