NBA Western Conference Playoffs Round 1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: NBA Western Conference Playoffs Round 1

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
That is a good point about the Warriors. But I think people tend to overestimate the longevity of superteams or dynasties in the NBA. A lot of them are hot for 2-3-4 years and then taper off. It's really hard for a team to keep playing deep into the postseason year after year after year. It grinds down the players, and role players start wanting big paydays, and players get injured, etc. I do think this iteration of the Warriors can contend for titles for the next several years, but it wouldn't be surprising if they had regressed a bit by 3-4 years from now. So I think gradual improvement with a goal of being great in 3-4 years is the goal I'd like to target.
The key will be if they can keep all 4 together. Let's assume they win this year and resign Durant and curry in the offseason. That locks up the big 4 for two more years. Let's say they win 2018 and 2019 too. Does Klay re-sign knowing he's the 4th option? Or does he take a bigger role on a lesser team? Hard to know where he stands, he'd have won 4 titles in 5 years, he might want to keep that going or he might want to see if he can create a bigger legacy than 4th best player on a dynasty. Draymond is a free agent the year after and would have a similar decision to make. You've also got to assume their bench will continue to weaken as they can't afford much after they super max curry and Durant this off season. I think they'll win the next 3 titles, barring anything crazy, but 2020 could be an interesting year.
Lots of stuff can happen in that time. I remember thinking that Kobe and Shaq were going to rule the NBA for another 4 years at least, and then all of a sudden it was over for them. I tend to agree with keeping the Suns core, building through the draft and letting them grow together, but I could be tempted with a sensible trade that doesn't disrupt the plan and brings in a player or players that add to the timeline and/or can accelerate the maturation and extend the relevance to the top of the NBA.
Right. I agree with all of you. Lots can happen. But there's a massive gap to close. The good news is, we're trending in the right direction as opposed to a few other West teams whose peaks are coinciding with the Warrior's.

Let's just be patient and smart. Don't throw $28M a year at Blake Griffin. Or give up the farm for one year of Paul George.
Outside of Greek Freak, AD, KAT, Porzingis.....there's nobody else other than the other obvious untouchables (Steph, KD, Lebron, etc) that I would throw everything to try and get. One of those people becomes available and everything changes

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Phil Jackson might actually be insane enough to consider trading Porzingis, especially if the Zinger starts complaining about the Triangle and essentially says he wants out.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Zinger likes the triangle, but he's pretty disgusted at the organization and the dysfunction that starts at the top. He's seen a lot in 2 years and I don't think he (nor his people around him) are going to play games with these first few years of his career.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:Zinger likes the triangle, but he's pretty disgusted at the organization and the dysfunction that starts at the top. He's seen a lot in 2 years and I don't think he (nor his people around him) are going to play games with these first few years of his career.
The Knicks would be a great organization and city to play in and for, but the Dolan owned organization has been run like a clown car. I don't think anything is going to change as long as Dolan is in charge. It doesn't seem that he's learned his lessons or grown up.

At least it seems Sarver has, and although I would blame him for the gradual downfall of the organization since he bought the team, he does seem to have learned his lesson and is on his way to recovering his reputation.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
ShelC wrote:Zinger likes the triangle, but he's pretty disgusted at the organization and the dysfunction that starts at the top. He's seen a lot in 2 years and I don't think he (nor his people around him) are going to play games with these first few years of his career.
The Knicks would be a great organization and city to play in and for, but the Dolan owned organization has been run like a clown car. I don't think anything is going to change as long as Dolan is in charge. It doesn't seem that he's learned his lessons or grown up.

At least it seems Sarver has, and although I would blame him for the gradual downfall of the organization since he bought the team, he does seem to have learned his lesson and is on his way to recovering his reputation.
This summer could tell us a lot about Bob Sarves. If he lets the young guys develop and he builds for the future, I'll believe he has seen the light and is letting McD run the show. If we have more weird signings and another season of the roster looking like there are 2 agendas at play, then I'll believe he is still meddling in the background has just learned to better portray himself in public.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:

This summer could tell us a lot about Bob Sarves. If he lets the young guys develop and he builds for the future, I'll believe he has seen the light and is letting McD run the show. If we have more weird signings and another season of the roster looking like there are 2 agendas at play, then I'll believe he is still meddling in the background has just learned to better portray himself in public.
I agree with this. It's probably going to be tempting to try to make a short term splash that makes them relevant this season, but could end up hurting the long term viability of the teams success and championship aspirations.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Refs doing their best to keep the Clippers in the game.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, the Jazz just eliminated the Clips in LA in Game 7. Great to see the young guys succeed. You have to figure the Clips are in for some changes now.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Any chance CP3 ops out of his contract and goes else where. I just have this feeling he will end up in San Antonio.

carey

Re: RE: Re: NBA Western Conference Playoffs Round 1

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Wow, the Jazz just eliminated the Clips in LA in Game 7. Great to see the young guys succeed. You have to figure the Clips are in for some changes now.
Not sure what they can even do. Go the rebuild route? But 2 key guys are UFAs I think. Could get rough for them quick.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Big rumors will be a Melo trade to the Clips. The X Factor will be what they do with Blake or what he does with them. It's been a weird run for the Clips. They just never put it together, couldn't stay healthy, could build a bench, couldn't find that SF. I don't think Paul leaves but I'm not sure what else they can do. Would Melo be the answer? Could they get Paul George somehow? The Jazz also shut down Redick completely, so can they upgrade there?

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

ShelC wrote:Big rumors will be a Melo trade to the Clips. The X Factor will be what they do with Blake or what he does with them. It's been a weird run for the Clips. They just never put it together, couldn't stay healthy, could build a bench, couldn't find that SF. I don't think Paul leaves but I'm not sure what else they can do. Would Melo be the answer? Could they get Paul George somehow? The Jazz also shut down Redick completely, so can they upgrade there?
Yeah, Melo are supposed to be great friends and it is Hollywood.

I expect that the Knicks might want to do a sign and trade for Blake Griffin but would Blake want to go back to that mess.

Sarver says we need three All Stars to compete. I know a lot of folks on this board are not fans of Blake but I would throw the kitchen sink at him this off season, especially if we draft one of the two point guards.

Chandler
Griffin
Chriss/Warren
Booker
Fultz/Ball

That team would win a crap load of games and be more than fun to watch. We need some excitement for this franchise. Just do it.

I doubt Griffin would come here but I would make the call.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn't touch Griffin. The guy is a shell of his former self.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JustWinBaby wrote:
ShelC wrote:Big rumors will be a Melo trade to the Clips. The X Factor will be what they do with Blake or what he does with them. It's been a weird run for the Clips. They just never put it together, couldn't stay healthy, could build a bench, couldn't find that SF. I don't think Paul leaves but I'm not sure what else they can do. Would Melo be the answer? Could they get Paul George somehow? The Jazz also shut down Redick completely, so can they upgrade there?
Yeah, Melo are supposed to be great friends and it is Hollywood.

I expect that the Knicks might want to do a sign and trade for Blake Griffin but would Blake want to go back to that mess.

Sarver says we need three All Stars to compete. I know a lot of folks on this board are not fans of Blake but I would throw the kitchen sink at him this off season, especially if we draft one of the two point guards.

Chandler
Griffin
Chriss/Warren
Booker
Fultz/Ball

That team would win a crap load of games and be more than fun to watch. We need some excitement for this franchise. Just do it.

I doubt Griffin would come here but I would make the call.
No. No. No. No. No. No. Griffin just gets in Chriss' way and Chriss is not a SF. Blake can go suck up someone else's cap space, we dont need him. Plus that team is terrible at shooting, the spacing would be awful.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Its always nice to see former Suns still contributing in the playoffs.

carey

Post by carey »

Someone will give Blake massive money. Noah just got $18M/yr and can barely move sideways.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Clippers are just the Clippers.

And no way would Blake be a good investment for us.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Blake has lost a lot of his athleticism and hasn't really figured out how to be effective yet into his 30s. I heard a good comparison on a podcast that it'd be a lot like when the Knicks signed Amare Stoudemire. He'll probably work really hard and look great for the first year of the contract, but then very quickly slide downward into mediocrity and become a contract albatross. I don't want Griffin here on the Suns at the kind of price he will command.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think Blake has lost a lot of his athleticism and hasn't really figured out how to be effective yet into his 30s. I heard a good comparison on a podcast that it'd be a lot like when the Knicks signed Amare Stoudemire. He'll probably work really hard and look great for the first year of the contract, but then very quickly slide downward into mediocrity and become a contract albatross. I don't want Griffin here on the Suns at the kind of price he will command.
Agreed. He still makes some great highlight plays, and still puts up good regular season numbers. But his playoff numbers are bad. His 4th quarter numbers are bad. I just don't think he helps us win.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

The Clips need to add some better role players. They also need a coach. Their offensive schemes are nothing and their defense is horrible.