Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:"Perennial All-Star" Bradley Beal has played in zero All-Star Games.

To be a star Booker is going to have to do a couple of things - become more efficient offensively, and contribute in other ways, most notably on defense.
To be a star, Booker only has to do one thing: continue improving like he has the last 2 seasons.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
The Bobster wrote:You have to figure Bennett, Millsap, Peters (when healthy) & Joc are headed straight to the G-League. Jones and James could probably end up there too.

That would get them down to 14 players including Dudley, Knight, Williams and Reed who are injured and Ulis who should be healthy by then.
Fingers crossed for Ulis and Williams to be back and ready early in the season. Those 2 + Reed + Warren would be the best second unit we've had in a long time. Especially if Bender takes a step this season.
I hope Bender takes a bunch of steps. Otherwise, he's not going to make it to the other end of the court.
6/10. I didn't see it coming at all.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/912009508418932738

Len signed his $4.2M QO.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I like the Troy Daniels move.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:I like the Troy Daniels move.
I remember that many were upset we let him go in the first place. Wasn't he on our summer league roster one year or am I thinking of somebody else?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
I remember that many were upset we let him go in the first place. Wasn't he on our summer league roster one year or am I thinking of somebody else?
Maybe Troy Williams?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Maybe Troy Williams?
Ah, thank you. That was it. I thought it was the same guy even when the initial skirmish happened and thought the Suns not picking him up was part of the reason for the trash talking. Now I'll have to go see if Williams has made a roster since we let him go.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OK, just looked up Troy Williams and he was also on the Grizzlies for a bit (after his Suns Summer League showing) but is now on the Rockets roster.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:OK, just looked up Troy Williams and he was also on the Grizzlies for a bit (after his Suns Summer League showing) but is now on the Rockets roster.
Yeah. Williams is actually a really nice player. I like Daniels because he fits a need, can really shoot it and is on a nice contract. We also picked up another asset in the deal and didn't give anything up.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Superbone wrote:OK, just looked up Troy Williams and he was also on the Grizzlies for a bit (after his Suns Summer League showing) but is now on the Rockets roster.
Yeah. Williams is actually a really nice player. I like Daniels because he fits a need, can really shoot it and is on a nice contract. We also picked up another asset in the deal and didn't give anything up.
Yes, it seem like a really good move since we especially needed shooting which appears to be Daniels specialty. And to get him for basically nothing plus an asset?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Shabazz wrote:
Technically we gave up a conditional second-round pick, but for all I know the conditions could be such that it won't convey at all.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Cap wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Technically we gave up a conditional second-round pick, but for all I know the conditions could be such that it won't convey at all.
Top-55 protected. The Suns would have to finish with a top-5 record for it to convey. so...yeah.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This is a decent article , I like that they put the Basketball Reference stats in it to add some perspective. Really can't dismiss Daniels shooting % from deep last three seasons, as the article says it is kinda all he does but never hurts to have a guy who can get hot in the rotation. As for Len I didn't know that 42% tidbit , for a Center that is not a good trend at all :shock: :?

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2017 ... tion-spots
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:This is a decent article , I like that they put the Basketball Reference stats in it to add some perspective. Really can't dismiss Daniels shooting % from deep last three seasons, as the article says it is kinda all he does but never hurts to have a guy who can get hot in the rotation. As for Len I didn't know that 42% tidbit , for a Center that is not a good trend at all :shock: :?

I don't know why I keep defending Len on this site; I don't think he's a good player.

But I think the fg% thing is a cheap complaint. It is almost entirely a coaching issue. Someone in the Suns organization believes that Len is a good outside player, and every other year they spend half the season trying to play him on the perimeter. Len's % close to the basket is actually better than Alan Williams, who everybody thinks is a great finisher around the basket. Len's FG% would be fine if we would stop isolating him at 15 feet out.

He still wouldn't be a great player, but at least he would be good at his one clear role.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:This is a decent article , I like that they put the Basketball Reference stats in it to add some perspective. Really can't dismiss Daniels shooting % from deep last three seasons, as the article says it is kinda all he does but never hurts to have a guy who can get hot in the rotation. As for Len I didn't know that 42% tidbit , for a Center that is not a good trend at all :shock: :?

I don't know why I keep defending Len on this site; I don't think he's a good player.

But I think the fg% thing is a cheap complaint. It is almost entirely a coaching issue. Someone in the Suns organization believes that Len is a good outside player, and every other year they spend half the season trying to play him on the perimeter. Len's % close to the basket is actually better than Alan Williams, who everybody thinks is a great finisher around the basket. Len's FG% would be fine if we would stop isolating him at 15 feet out.

He still wouldn't be a great player, but at least he would be good at his one clear role.
Couldn't agree more with this. I get trying it out a bit to see if it worked, because if he could hit a 15-18 foot jumper consistently, the PnR game with him and Bledsoe could have been really good. But once you see he can't, stop trying it. Don't have him be the one setting screens 20-23 feet from the hoop. It is just stupid.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They don't know how to use him or groom him to be a good player. I bet if Len were on the Spurs or Celtics or some other well run org, he'd be slowly improving into a really solid starting center.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:They don't know how to use him or groom him to be a good player. I bet if Len were on the Spurs or Celtics or some other well run org, he'd be slowly improving into a really solid starting center.
Unless he makes a jump this season one of those well run teams are going to get him for real cheap and turn him into a decent player.

I really wish we had a good coach. I really dislike the argument that Watson might turn into a good coach. We are rebuilding now we need someone who can actually teach these young guys and put them in positions to succeed.

Len has many problems but like you guys say we have definitely compounded them with the way we have used him.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Cap wrote:What the...

Who asked for Anthony Bennett?

For what it's worth, I like the Bennett signing. I watch a lot of UNLV basketball, and I always thought he was just in bad situations in the league. I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar, but I still think he could still be a serviceable role player. I think our training staff might be able to resurrect his career.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Williams out for at least half the season -

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 695280001/
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:Williams out for at least half the season -

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 695280001/
Very sorry to hear it. I love watching that guy play.

I guess that means Len has plenty of minutes. This is why you keep plenty of bigs on the roster.