Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:My issue with Tatum is he's just an ISO scorer. He's a good one, but he doesn't create for others, isn't a great defender, and isn't a great shooter(Jackson actually shot better from 3) We all already complain about Bledsoe and Knight not passing enough, I think we'd do the same if we draft Tatum.
He shot the same % from 3 as your boy Isaac, averaged more assists per game as well. He's not nearly as selfish and one dimensional as you think he is.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Issac and Tatum are completely different style of players. I envision Isaac as a 4. Isaac isn't a guy I'd want with the ball in his hands anyways. He's a rebounder/finisher who has a decent stroke. His main calling card will be his defense. He's 6'11 and long and will be able to defend across the 3-5 positions in time as he fills out. He duplicates bender a bit, but I think he's a better prospect.

Can you tell me what Tatum does that we don't already have with Warren? I'm not even a huge fan of Warren and Tatum just reminds me of a slightly better version. Do we really just want to be an ISO ball team? I know I don't.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Tatum is more of a fundamentally sound offensive scorer. Warren is a throwback midrange scorer with a funky game.

Issac is intriguing from a physical standpoint but I always fear the guys who "start late but have potential". They usually have a limited basketball IQ and never really hone their skillset.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Tatum plays into contact and could draw a lot of fouls in the NBA. But I don't see enough athleticism or BBIQ to make him unguardable.

Isaac looks like a very good catch/shoot guy for his size. The attitude he has when shooting reminds me of Mirza. I think he can be a very good role player.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think his skill set is fairly well developed. The biggest thing holding him back is the physical stuff. He's 6'11 200 lbs. Once his body catches up, I think you'll see him take off.

As for Tatum, I just feel like he would need to be Melo like as a scorer for him to be the right pick. Does Booker/Tatum work as a wing duo? Who do you want with the ball in their hands? Personally I'd want booker, but Tatum loses a lot of value playing without the ball. So you'd almost have to put the ball in tatums hands and play booker off the ball. Booker could fill that role, but I think booker can be special as a scorer and I wouldn't want to relegate him to 2nd option unless Tatum really is elite.

My next question is if Tatum has enough play making skills to truly be an elite offensive player or is he just a great scorer. Right now I see more TJ Warren, Harrison Barnes, Jabari Parker, Tobias Harris than I do Carmelo or Paul Pierce

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1940 ... aft-steals

I thought this was interesting. The statistical analysis came out that Isaac was the best prospect.

I'm assuming that Fultz and Ball are going 1 and 2. Assuming that the Suns don't move up somehow, my BPA at this moment are Fox, Jackson, Isaac, Monk, and then Tatum.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:Issac and Tatum are completely different style of players. I envision Isaac as a 4. Isaac isn't a guy I'd want with the ball in his hands anyways. He's a rebounder/finisher who has a decent stroke. His main calling card will be his defense. He's 6'11 and long and will be able to defend across the 3-5 positions in time as he fills out. He duplicates bender a bit, but I think he's a better prospect.

Can you tell me what Tatum does that we don't already have with Warren? I'm not even a huge fan of Warren and Tatum just reminds me of a slightly better version. Do we really just want to be an ISO ball team? I know I don't.
He and Tatum rebounded at the same rate. Blocked shots at the same rate, similar wingspans. What Tatum does better than TJ is he can get his shot on pretty much any area of the floor, easily. And you guys keep acting like Tatum is a black hole, he passes the ball just fine. He's not shabazz Muhammad out there, geez.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I can't see us drafting Fox. I don't think management views him as worth trading Bledsoe over.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:I can't see us drafting Fox. I don't think management views him as worth trading Bledsoe over.
As of now, I'm hoping Philly drafts Fox leaving Jackson for us.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Split T wrote:Issac and Tatum are completely different style of players. I envision Isaac as a 4. Isaac isn't a guy I'd want with the ball in his hands anyways. He's a rebounder/finisher who has a decent stroke. His main calling card will be his defense. He's 6'11 and long and will be able to defend across the 3-5 positions in time as he fills out. He duplicates bender a bit, but I think he's a better prospect.

He and Tatum rebounded at the same rate. Blocked shots at the same rate, similar wingspans. What Tatum does better than TJ is he can get his shot on pretty much any area of the floor, easily. And you guys keep acting like Tatum is a black hole, he passes the ball just fine. He's not shabazz Muhammad out there, geez.
Do you think he's better than booker? How do you envision them playing together? I might be wrong about Tatum, he's definitely talented but I just don't see him and Booker being a good fit together and I trust booker more.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think he's a more polished prospect than Booker based on college play. Nobody could have seen Booker putting up 22ppg in his 2nd season at 20 years old. I think Tatum is a future 20ppg guy as well, and yes I do think him and Booker can play together because Booker has the ability to make plays for others. Bledsoe will be the one that hinders those 2 IMO. Ulis would look for them both all day, Bledsoe will still look to get his, thats why he's got to go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:I can't see us drafting Fox. I don't think management views him as worth trading Bledsoe over.
As of now, I'm hoping Philly drafts Fox leaving Jackson for us.
Or someone(Sacramento) trades up for fox. I think 3 is a weird spot for Philly, the players that make sense for them(Fultz, ball, monk) are either gonna go too high or shouldn't be picked 3rd. I imagine they first try to trade up and when that fails, they trade back, pick up an asset and draft monk.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I think Tatum is getting a bum rap by some. Just because he's a better all around offensive player than Jackson, doesn't mean he's Melo and just an ISO scorer. I think shooting is a concern for us which is why I like Tatum. But I get that we need that defense and athleticism on the perimeter next to Booker.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:Yea I think Tatum is getting a bum rap by some. Just because he's a better all around offensive player than Jackson, doesn't mean he's Melo and just an ISO scorer. I think shooting is a concern for us which is why I like Tatum. But I get that we need that defense and athleticism on the perimeter next to Booker.
Tatum isn't exactly a great shooter. Jackson actually shot better. But his stroke is prettier. I think I'm the big anti-Tatum poster on the board and maybe I'm underrating him, but I don't think he's a bust in the making. I think the most likely scenario is him being a skinnier Jabari. I'd be happy to have him, but not over Jackson, fox, or Isaac. Tatum or Monk is a toss up for me. I would take Tatum over Dennis Smith

TOO

Post by TOO »

Jabari is a freak athlete, or was, I think Tatum is very Danny Granger, great ISO, can spot up, great FT shooter, will defend, be effecient etc. People seem to forget how good Granger was before the injuries, he was a stud.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Granger was a very good shooter. If Tatum proves he can shoot at a high level, Granger is a pretty good comparison. I'm just not sold on him as a shooter yet.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Jabari was always a little heavier than he should have been. I don't think he was a freak athlete at all. I remember watching him a lot at Duke, and thinking I wish he was a better athlete. I don't think Tatum's shot is better than TJ's, and I don't think his form is all that much better than Jackson's. He has a very nice high release and has a lot of pro moves though. I am a Duke fan long before I was ever a Suns fan, and I am very unsure about Tatum. Sometimes he looks great, and other times I wish he wouldn't have been forcing shots. His floor is pretty high, but I don't think he's a good enough athlete to say his ceiling is super high. He certainly wasn't a lock down defender by any means.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:Jabari was always a little heavier than he should have been. I don't think he was a freak athlete at all. I remember watching him a lot at Duke, and thinking I wish he was a better athlete. I don't think Tatum's shot is better than TJ's, and I don't think his form is all that much better than Jackson's. He has a very nice high release and has a lot of pro moves though. I am a Duke fan long before I was ever a Suns fan, and I am very unsure about Tatum. Sometimes he looks great, and other times I wish he wouldn't have been forcing shots. His floor is pretty high, but I don't think he's a good enough athlete to say his ceiling is super high. He certainly wasn't a lock down defender by any means.
Jabari just before his latest injury was LeBronian athletically again, he was flying up and down the floor and dunking with significant ease. Thats why I said was, I think we've only seen him healthy for a couple of months in the last 3 years.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jabari is very coordinated for his size and is a good athlete, but I wouldn't ever call him lebronian in his athletic ability.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jabari was deceptively athletic to me. I was surprised at some of the dunks he was getting right before the injury. Jabari had came to mind with Tatum, but was more athletic and played at about 230. Granger is a better comparison I think. Except for weight, Jabari and Tatum have identical measurables.