Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Suns News: The Offseason

Post by carey »

Generally our longest thread of the year. Lets get the party started.

Suns to keep McDonough through the final year of his contract which expires in the Summer of '18: http://arizonasports.com/story/1094026/ ... -contract/

There's already 62 comments on that azsports article. McDonough seems to be a divisive topic at current.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm fine with McDonough at this point.

He's really only had one big miss in my book with the Knight trade, albeit "big" is a bit of an understatement.

I'm OK with seeing how he does over the next year, especially because I don't really see the point of firing him right now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Would this be the thread to talk about offseason targets in free agency and trade?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

pickle wrote:Would this be the thread to talk about offseason targets in free agency and trade?
Methinks so.

Ideas are welcome.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

pickle

Post by pickle »

I mentioned in another thread about Olynyk if he can come in at 10-12 per. Also love Ingles.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm not an Olynyk fan. If we are willing to spend that much on him, I'd rather just keep Len.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the Suns should try to get Paul George in free agency. He's a legit superstar, the Pacers need to rebuild, and we have lots of assets. I think he could make a huge difference here. Would need to get a commitment from him to re-sign, though.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think the Suns should try to get Paul George in free agency. He's a legit superstar, the Pacers need to rebuild, and we have lots of assets. I think he could make a huge difference here. Would need to get a commitment from him to re-sign, though.
You think he'd come take a backseat to Booker? I don't. I'm sure you saw his hissy fit after Miles took the last shot in game 1? Not interested in PG at all.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Here's one front office type that thinks we should retain Len:

Summer agenda: Suns have plenty of work ahead

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/summer-age ... ml?src=rss
PHOENIX SUNS

Offseason focus and team needs

1. Establish a winning culture
The Suns haven’t made the playoffs in seven years and have posted season win totals in the 20s in three of their last five seasons.

2. Draft the best available player
The Suns will likely have a top-three pick in a point-guard heavy draft. If point guard is the best option, they should draft one even though that position isn’t their biggest need.

3. Find a home for Brandon Knight
The guard has three years and $43.9 million left on his contract and has fallen out of the rotation. With Tyler Ulis developing as the team’s backup point guard, Knight no longer has a role.

4. Retain homegrown talent Alex Len and Alan Williams
Both players are restricted free agents but have shown enough to be considered part of the franchise’s future.

Read more...
"Be Legendary."

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

I like that McDonough is finishing his contract. We have a lot of time invested in his growth. For me it is hard to really look at any moves until we know where we draft. If we draft the best player available most likely it will be a pg. My reasoning is that there are 6 pg projected to go in the lotto in most mock drafts. If we draft a PG then we need to make a draft night trade or at the very least a trade by preseason. If we start the 2017 season with 5 pg it means we have not learned out lesson yet. Don't get me wrong when Bledsoe held out for his deal we had to add a pg just in case and it ended up blowing up in our face. We then compounded that by moving IT and Dragic. My guess is that we were worried that we had blown up our relationship with IT with the leaks about him when we were trying to maneuver the Dragic problems. I am hoping that we dont repeat the same mistake again and add another pg to the mess. I am ok with drafting a pg. I am even excited about a pg that is 6 ft 4 or taller. I am just saying if that is the hand that fate deals us then we need to get a potential star in a trade for a pg or combination of pgs.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

sunshoopjunky wrote:I like that McDonough is finishing his contract. We have a lot of time invested in his growth. For me it is hard to really look at any moves until we know where we draft. If we draft the best player available most likely it will be a pg. My reasoning is that there are 6 pg projected to go in the lotto in most mock drafts. If we draft a PG then we need to make a draft night trade or at the very least a trade by preseason. If we start the 2017 season with 5 pg it means we have not learned out lesson yet. Don't get me wrong when Bledsoe held out for his deal we had to add a pg just in case and it ended up blowing up in our face. We then compounded that by moving IT and Dragic. My guess is that we were worried that we had blown up our relationship with IT with the leaks about him when we were trying to maneuver the Dragic problems. I am hoping that we dont repeat the same mistake again and add another pg to the mess. I am ok with drafting a pg. I am even excited about a pg that is 6 ft 4 or taller. I am just saying if that is the hand that fate deals us then we need to get a potential star in a trade for a pg or combination of pgs.
This is the heart of the offseason.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

O_Gardino wrote:
sunshoopjunky wrote:I like that McDonough is finishing his contract. We have a lot of time invested in his growth. For me it is hard to really look at any moves until we know where we draft. If we draft the best player available most likely it will be a pg. My reasoning is that there are 6 pg projected to go in the lotto in most mock drafts. If we draft a PG then we need to make a draft night trade or at the very least a trade by preseason. If we start the 2017 season with 5 pg it means we have not learned out lesson yet. Don't get me wrong when Bledsoe held out for his deal we had to add a pg just in case and it ended up blowing up in our face. We then compounded that by moving IT and Dragic. My guess is that we were worried that we had blown up our relationship with IT with the leaks about him when we were trying to maneuver the Dragic problems. I am hoping that we dont repeat the same mistake again and add another pg to the mess. I am ok with drafting a pg. I am even excited about a pg that is 6 ft 4 or taller. I am just saying if that is the hand that fate deals us then we need to get a potential star in a trade for a pg or combination of pgs.
This is the heart of the offseason.
Yeah that and I am also hoping that the Celtics dump some assets so we can get out from underneath them in the star market.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

http://arizonasports.com/story/1094437/ ... t-retires/
Phoenix Suns TV play-by-play voice Steve Albert retires

I wasn't a big fan of his, as I thought he seemed to be a play behind and didn't know the team very well. Just my opinion. Hoping to find someone good to replace him, we deserve better.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:http://arizonasports.com/story/1094437/ ... t-retires/
Phoenix Suns TV play-by-play voice Steve Albert retires

I wasn't a big fan of his, as I thought he seemed to be a play behind and didn't know the team very well. Just my opinion. Hoping to find someone good to replace him, we deserve better.
We are just spoiled by Al McCoy. Steve is pretty good compared to a lot of guys around the league. I think Steve + EJ was one of the best broadcasting duos out there. Top 5 in the whole NBA, maybe.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I remember listening to the Spurs guy(could be the one on the radio), who did it by himself I believe, and he was incredible. I love Al, but he doesn't want to do TV anymore. I just hope they get someone good and we can upgrade the TV side.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Whoa. The Albert retirement came as a surprise. He had a rough start in Phoenix but he picked it up at the end and became servicable to good. It'll be interesting to see who becomes the new TV voice of the Suns.

Hint:
Jones Jr. ELEVATES and DETONATES!!!
"Be Legendary."

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

Could he have been asked to retire? While his voice is fine, his call of the action is terrible. he often does not know what is going on and tends to tell lame jokes or stories over the game action. My opinion, but this change was due.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Is he taking Ann with him? She's the worst, doesnt even know who half the players are it seems.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:Whoa. The Albert retirement came as a surprise. He had a rough start in Phoenix but he picked it up at the end and became servicable to good. It'll be interesting to see who becomes the new TV voice of the Suns.

Hint:
Jones Jr. ELEVATES and DETONATES!!!
You think they go back to Leander? Was he forced out or did he ask to stop play-by-play duties?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Finally! We can elevate EJ to the play-by-play role he so is clearly ready for.