Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:I just went Googling Suns news to double check when Training Camp starts which is next Tuesday the 26th by the way but then came across this story.....
Don't kill(me) the Messenger lol

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2017 ... na-beijing
The end of the CBA season coincides with the NBA All-Star break, when Bledsoe is due for his biannual knee injury. Assuming the last two months of the season will be a tankathon for the Suns, with Ulis and Mike James as the only healthy PGs on the roster, I'd have no problem with the nostalgic addition of Marbury for the tank period.

Of course, I haven't seen him play in a lot of years, and I don't know whether being a star in the CBA means he's still physically capable of playing the NBA game, or whether he'd be comfortable being more of a distributor than the scoring machine he was in his Starbury days, but if the answers to those questions are satisfactory, why not? He'd only be taking minutes from James.
Following that logic, why not a younger vet? Udric, Monte Ellis, and Deron Williams are all unsigned, a lot younger than Marbury, and played in the NBA just last year. Some of them might even be more sane than Marbury, too.
Yeah, why not? We could go with somebody like Udrih/Ellis/Williams, or with Marbury. Not a big deal either way. Certainly nothing worth shooting the messenger over.

As for Marbury's sanity, he was pretty much a model citizen last time he was here. And we're only talking about two months, so even the appearance of his New York incarnation won't be here long enough to become a problem.
Well, it depends on who the messenger is. For the record, I wouldn't shoot bajanguy008 under these circumstances. bajanguy009 had better watch out, though.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If Bledsoe does go down with an injury, I'd much rather just give his minutes to Ulis. I don't see much benefit to bringing in an old vet like Marbury who is used to a different, larger role like that. I don't have anything against Marbs, but I just don't want any more obstacles in the way of Ulis, whom I like an awful lot.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:If Bledsoe does go down with an injury, I'd much rather just give his minutes to Ulis. I don't see much benefit to bringing in an old vet like Marbury who is used to a different, larger role like that. I don't have anything against Marbs, but I just don't want any more obstacles in the way of Ulis, whom I like an awful lot.
If Bledsoe goes down with an injury (or tankitis), that leaves Ulis and James as our only point guards (assuming AASE is still out as well). Ulis isn't going to play 48 minutes a game, so he would start and be backed up by either James or somebody else we bring in. It would be James's minutes that go to Marbury, not Ulis's.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/910860957575819266

Looks like Len is signing the QO and becoming a UFA in '18.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Pretty much as expected - the Suns will have plenty of cap room ($14 million) to take on a contract from a team looking to avoid or reduce luxury tax payments.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hmm. This probably means Len is gonna go bye-bye after this year, right? How often do guys sign the QO and then actually re-sign with their current teams as a UFA?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Hmm. This probably means Len is gonna go bye-bye after this year, right? How often do guys sign the QO and then actually re-sign with their current teams as a UFA?
That's a good question.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

In the last 10 years here's all the significant players who have signed qualifying offers -

2008 - Ben Gordon, Chicago - Signed with Detroit in 2009
2011 - Spencer Hawes, Philadelphia - Re-signed with Philadelphia in 2012
2011 - Marco Belinelli, New Orleans - Signed with Chicago in 2012
2011 - Nick Young, Washington - Traded to LA Clippers during 2011-12 season, signed with Philadelphia in 2012
2014 - Greg Monroe, Detroit - Signed with Milwaukee in 2015
Last edited by The Bobster on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Minutes distribution might get tricky. Someone who expects/needs minutes won't get any. Chandler/Len/Dudley/Williams/Chriss/Bender. Who do you bench?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:Minutes distribution might get tricky. Someone who expects/needs minutes won't get any. Chandler/Len/Dudley/Williams/Chriss/Bender. Who do you bench?
Len, Dudley, and Chandler, in that order.

carey

Post by carey »

Len is a goner after this year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:Minutes distribution might get tricky. Someone who expects/needs minutes won't get any. Chandler/Len/Dudley/Williams/Chriss/Bender. Who do you bench?
Well, Dudley and Chandler have to know they are at the end of the rotation, especially with Warren maybe taking some minutes at 4. But I don't think any of Len / Williams / Chriss / Bender have done enough to earn more than 20 minutes per game, so I think it's ok. It's only a real bottleneck if one of the vets expects minutes, or if two of the younguns excel enough to deserve a ton of playing time.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Bobster wrote:In the last 10 years here's all the significant players who have signed qualifying offers -

2011 - Nick Young, Washington - Traded to LA Clippers during 2011-12 season, signed with Philadelphia in 2012
Great summary; thanks for this.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:In the last 10 years here's all the significant players who have signed qualifying offers -

Thanks, Bobster. That supports Marty's theory that Len probably won't resign with us.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Very cool that training camp is less than a week away!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:Very cool that training camp is less than a week away!
Wow. This sport has such a long season and such a short offseason. Just like a month ago we were thinking about free agents, and a month before that we were obsessing over the draft. Then they're right back at it after a short summer break. I love this game!

Cap

Post by Cap »

What the...

Who asked for Anthony Bennett?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Edit: Cap beat me to it.

Can't imagine Bennett doing anything to get minutes, but sure, invite him to camp and let him play on the NAZ Suns

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oh man. Not a fan of that move. I hate signing entitled lazy players who think they are important because they got drafted high.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yea the Bennett thing is puzzling because it is no secret that the forward spot is a logjam so don't see how he makes the bench tbh. It is also interesting because wasn't there a post saying that we are not looking at any more guards which I figure was the move we would make if any. Oh well, Camp is back Tues which is all that matters lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)