Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I have no problem giving up that much, just like I had no problem throwing the farm at the Freak before he was what he is now. Makeit Chriss and Bender, even. Anything but Booker. You pair Booker and Kristaps and you have the fundation to contend for the next 12 years. No quantity beats that quality.
Agreed, how many top picks are wasted year after year around the league to find a prospect like KP? And while that's probably why NY should never do it, stranger things have happened.

The only chance I see, is that patience is non-existant in NY, both around the fanbase and the Front Office. So, if they somehow mend the fence with Melo, and decide to reload around him, one more time, the combination of picks and veterans we could provide while taking their awful contracts to match, could entice Phil to be competitive now, and rebuild in the fly... just like we have failed to do all this years. If we land Top 2, Ball/Fultz is already a strong starting point.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Yeah, as good as I think this draft is going to be, I'd definitely give up a Top-3 pick to get KP. The way the Knicks management is, I sort of think we wouldn't have to offer too much more than that, but pretty much anything other than Booker. But I think we could put together a pretty attractive offer if they are looking to trade him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We should just pull Bender aside, and tell him "The Triangle" is a cool new drug or club or sex position or whatever, and get a video tape of him saying how he has done The Triangle before and how he loves The Triangle so much. Then Phil will poop his pants with excitement and insist on trading for him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:We should just pull Bender aside, and tell him "The Triangle" is a cool new drug or club or sex position or whatever, and get a video tape of him saying how he has done The Triangle before and how he loves The Triangle so much. Then Phil will poop his pants with excitement and insist on trading for him.
Haha
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

[youtube][/youtube]

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

djy2j wrote:
djy2j wrote:
azsportsfan wrote:Could he have been asked to retire? While his voice is fine, his call of the action is terrible. he often does not know what is going on and tends to tell lame jokes or stories over the game action. My opinion, but this change was due.
I liked his voice. I think his jokes were super cheesy and he said the wrong player names alot. He also tried to guess what the official blew the whistle for and was constantly wrong. That being said, I didnt mind the dude. I hated listening to Leander. So I guess I could say I was content with Steve calling games. There were alot of worse broadcast teams out there. Boston probably being the worst. Indiana Pacers being a close second because I absolutely loathe Quinn Buckner.

I also need EJ to learn how to say the word "STRENGTH" properly. If I hear him say "STRENF" one more time I don't know what I'll do.

Annie brings some pretty solid basketball knowledge and perspective to the table but she can't name players for s***.
I'd love to have Gus Johnson. YOu either love him or hate him though. I love him.

Ann Myers Drysdale is the WORST. Her voice sounds like Harry Carrey. She is just so boring to listen to. She'd be better off narrating a planet earth episode.

I like EJ. Not a play-by-play guy.

Maybe Jon Bloom? Anybody but Leander or Esposito (so glad he joined the Lakers)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:We should just pull Bender aside, and tell him "The Triangle" is a cool new drug or club or sex position or whatever, and get a video tape of him saying how he has done The Triangle before and how he loves The Triangle so much. Then Phil will poop his pants with excitement and insist on trading for him.

Lol.

I would trade Bender + our top 3 pick + Bledsoe in a heartbeat for Porzingis. It's not even a question.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
djy2j wrote:
azsportsfan wrote:Could he have been asked to retire? While his voice is fine, his call of the action is terrible. he often does not know what is going on and tends to tell lame jokes or stories over the game action. My opinion, but this change was due.
I liked his voice. I think his jokes were super cheesy and he said the wrong player names alot. He also tried to guess what the official blew the whistle for and was constantly wrong. That being said, I didnt mind the dude. I hated listening to Leander. So I guess I could say I was content with Steve calling games. There were alot of worse broadcast teams out there. Boston probably being the worst. Indiana Pacers being a close second because I absolutely loathe Quinn Buckner.

I also need EJ to learn how to say the word "STRENGTH" properly. If I hear him say "STRENF" one more time I don't know what I'll do.

Annie brings some pretty solid basketball knowledge and perspective to the table but she can't name players for s***.
I'd love to have Gus Johnson. YOu either love him or hate him though. I love him.

Ann Myers Drysdale is the WORST. Her voice sounds like Harry Carrey. She is just so boring to listen to. She'd be better off narrating a planet earth episode.

I like Bloom. Not a bad idea. Are you serious that Esposito joined the Lakers? I thought he was a lifelong Suns fan.

ETA: Just did a quick Google search and I don't see anything about Esposito being involved with the Lakers in any way. Looks like he's Director of Digital Marketing for Fun Brands in Phoenix (whatever that is.)
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
djy2j wrote:

I like Bloom. Not a bad idea. Are you serious that Esposito joined the Lakers? I thought he was a lifelong Suns fan.

ETA: Just did a quick Google search and I don't see anything about Esposito being involved with the Lakers in any way. Looks like he's Director of Digital Marketing for Fun Brands in Phoenix (whatever that is.)
It was an April fools joke. He said he would absolutely never do that and work for pure evil.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Wow. And that, just like everything he does, was corny as hell.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

In2ition wrote:As much as I like KP, I wouldn't give up all that for him. I am pretty sure that the Suns see Chriss as a future superstar and he's just scratching the surface on his talent. We'll see about Bender, i would give up the #3 pick along with Bender and Miami picks for KP though and obviously the Suns could end up losing that trade in the long run.
Porzingis has a much higher ceiling than Chriss.

I bet Knicks fans wouldn't trade him for Booker which speaks volumes of how good he is and what they think of his potential.

carey

Post by carey »

UglyTruth wrote:I bet Knicks fans wouldn't trade him for Booker which speaks volumes of how good he is and what they think of his potential.
Or does that speak volumes about Knicks fans?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:I bet Knicks fans wouldn't trade him for Booker which speaks volumes of how good he is and what they think of his potential.
Nah. I think if Porzingis were ours we wouldn't trade him for Booker either. On ther other hand, if Booker is the price, I am not interested. A typical no-no trade, I guess.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Steve Albert does get a lot of things wrong, talks boxing too much and says cheesey things. "That pass must have been to Claude Rains." That movie (The Invisible Man) came out in 1933. How many Suns fans are going to know who he is talking about? That said, Steve has an announcers voice and is better than most before him.

Chambers? NO
Leander? NO
Ray? NO
Ann Meyers? Don't really like her as an announcer. She seems nice though.

Anybody know why Al McCoy doesn't do TV anymore? He is the all time best. He calls every game on the radio still. I don't see the big difference in just simulcasting TV and radio at the same time.

EJ is my favorite current Suns TV announcer. He is entertaining and knows the team and the game. He mispronounces a few things. That doesn't bother me. I know he says axe instead of ask. That IMO is the way a lot of blacks pronounce that word. It's just their thing to me and doesn't bother me.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

carey wrote:
No he's just that good. I wouldn't trade Booker for him but they wouldn't trade him for Booker either.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Anybody know why Al McCoy doesn't do TV anymore? He is the all time best. He calls every game on the radio still. I don't see the big difference in just simulcasting TV and radio at the same time.
I don't think the NBA allows for simulcasts between radio and TV anymore. They want to two different revenue streams. Think of how many on-air, live reads the guys do. The ones on radio are different than on TV, and they get paid by two people instead of one.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
I don't think the NBA allows for simulcasts between radio and TV anymore. They want to two different revenue streams. Think of how many on-air, live reads the guys do. The ones on radio are different than on TV, and they get paid by two people instead of one.
This is probably correct.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Here's DJJ dunking the ball repeatedly. There's a lot to look forward to next season. Enjoy your weekend.

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

O_Gardino wrote:Here's DJJ dunking the ball repeatedly. There's a lot to look forward to next season. Enjoy your weekend.

My favorite part about DJJ is that he is always moving without the ball on offense, always cutting, keeping the floor well-spaced. I really think he can become a solid rotation player for us over the next 2-3 years. Get a bit stronger, develop a reliable jumper, get better on D.... He could be solid contributor.

pickle

Post by pickle »

wpmiller42 wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Here's DJJ dunking the ball repeatedly. There's a lot to look forward to next season. Enjoy your weekend.

My favorite part about DJJ is that he is always moving without the ball on offense, always cutting, keeping the floor well-spaced. I really think he can become a solid rotation player for us over the next 2-3 years. Get a bit stronger, develop a reliable jumper, get better on D.... He could be solid contributor.
I agree. I know he has a lot to improve on, but he seems to have the right starting point. If he can become disruptive on D, he can start adding a consistent shot to that, then he'll be the steal of the summer of 2016. I'm somewhat excited because the things I've listed don't seem like mission impossible tasks.