Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:He's not Shawn Marion. I am not sure he can defend PFs consistently, but maybe he can. I think the biggest problem with extended time there is what happens to Chriss and Bender as a result. One of them is already going to be squeezed into minutes at Center. If we re-sign Len things are going to be strangely crowded in our front court.
Warren isn't Marion, Chriss isn't Amare, and Bender isn't ... Alvin Adams?

They all need to develop and they all have a lot of growing to do. Warren is the oldest, so maybe we feel like he has the least potential, but he was also by far the best of the 3 last season. Warren has shown for a couple of years now that he is very good at what he does. Last season, he started improving on his weakness a bit. Bender and Chriss still need to improve on everything - including their supposed strengths! But if either of them takes the next step, he could end up being better than Warren.

Bottom line, we've got a ton of young guys to develop, and some tough decisions about minutes. In a video game, Jackson / Warren could each play 28 and Bender / Chriss could each play 20 and everyone would still grow. We know it doesn't really work like that IRL.

Can't wait to actually see some games.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really like Warren, but I don't know if he is an NBA PF. Not even in 2018's NBA. He doesn't really have length or height for it, and he is not an impressive rebounder nor rim defender. Most of the guys his size/shape who make great PFs are guys who also have great instincts for rebounding and can vacuum up boards despite being a few inches short, and/or length that lets them reach farther than their height might imply. Think Draymond Green, KD, et cetera.

I guess you could use him as a smallball PF, but you'd really want a defense-and-rebounding center next to him. A younger Tyson Chandler, say. Williams and Len probably aren't that guy.

carey

Post by carey »

I didn't mean to imply I was down on Warren. I'm not. i really like him as a player. I do worry about his fit on our roster as currently constructed though. I'm also fairly certain he's not a PF nor can he play there for extended minutes.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:I didn't mean to imply I was down on Warren. I'm not. i really like him as a player. I do worry about his fit on our roster as currently constructed though. I'm also fairly certain he's not a PF nor can he play there for extended minutes.
Fair enough! I'm worried about all our players fit on the roster!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I really like Warren, but I don't know if he is an NBA PF. Not even in 2018's NBA. He doesn't really have length or height for it, and he is not an impressive rebounder nor rim defender. Most of the guys his size/shape who make great PFs are guys who also have great instincts for rebounding and can vacuum up boards despite being a few inches short, and/or length that lets them reach farther than their height might imply. Think Draymond Green, KD, et cetera.

I guess you could use him as a smallball PF, but you'd really want a defense-and-rebounding center next to him. A younger Tyson Chandler, say. Williams and Len probably aren't that guy.
Draymond Green, LaMarcus Aldridge, Ryan Anderson, Patrick Peterson, gorgui dieng, Paul Millsap, Blake Griffin, Al farouq aminu, Anthony Davis, Jonas jerebko, Julius Randle, skal labissiere, Dirk, jamychal green, Kevin love, Marcus Morris, Serge ibaka, Markieff Morris, Jabari Parker, ersan ilysova, Trevor Booker, Marvin Williams, Bobby portis, Tobias Harris, Thaddeus young, James Johnson, kristaps Porzingis, Aaron Gordon, Ben Simmons

Those are the expected starting PF this year. Who are we worried about him guarding?

Aldridge, AD, KP. Those are the only 3 where I don't think Warren stands a chance. Love could give him trouble if Cleveland used him like Minny did, but I'd rather have Warren on love than LeBron. Griffin and Millsap could give him trouble, but because they are good basketball players, not because they're any bigger.

Anyways, the reason to play Warren at the 4 is offensively. He's somewhat of a liability on defense no matter where he plays. And you're right that you'd probably need a good rim protector at the 5 next to him. And if his 2nd half rebounding numbers hold up, I don't think he's a liability on the boards. He averaged 17.6/7.7 after the all Star break last year.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Nothing much to discuss these days so I will just post this for those who also as bored as myself lol. I hardly know any of these writers but hey , nothing like "A List/Ranking" to drive some discussion and opinions.
I actually haven't read it properly yet but just sharing it fore I forget to later :oops:

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

For the 1 year only stipulation that the article uses. Hard to find an argument for anyone to go 1st except Lebron. People will say Durant and he's a great 2nd option, but it's still Lebron. He just does too much.

I like the question: You get the player from now for the rest of their career, who goes first?

I think there are 7 possiblities:
1. Lebron - He makes you an instant contender and while he's 32, he continues to defy the odds and is still the best player in the game.
2. Durant - He's the 2nd best player in the game and is still in his prime. Probably the safest choice.
3. Kawhi - Younger than Durant, but I think a step below Durant as a player.
4. Curry - I think he's the least likely choice, he's the same age as Durant but not on his level. Still, people might remember how good he was Pre-Durant.
5. Giannis - My favorite pick, but a little risky. He's 22 and already a top 10 player in the league and you'd have him 12 years. If he figures out how to shoot...watch out.
6. AD - 24 years old and a superstar, I'd prefer others though as I'm not convinced he can lead a team on his own. He needs a star ball handler.
7. KAT - Similar feelings to AD. AD is the better defender, KAT the better offensive player. Still not convinced he can lead a team either.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/GCU_Lopes/status/897125859286540290

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/897133719831445504

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Not sure how he's paying his bills with that one. I'm wondering about those rumors now...
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Not sure how he's paying his bills with that one. I'm wondering about those rumors now...
It's definitely a demotion, I would think.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:Not sure how he's paying his bills with that one. I'm wondering about those rumors now...
You have to assume they are more than rumors for such a demotion.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't find such rumors online. Can somebody enlighten me or tell me what to Google for?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

He was snooping around his coworkers desks at night, apparently caught on camera, so the rumors go

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

<barf emoticon>

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/897220889019904005

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/897218169487716353

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wonder if they will adjust that national TV schedule a bit into the season after they realize that the Lakers still suck.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/899348108328534016

Interesting.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:

Interesting.
Could this have happened prior to Magic being named President? I just think nothing is going to come of it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

Marty, can you add the new Tapatalk tweet plug-in that RealGM added? Or does it cost money?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

In2ition wrote:
carey wrote:

Interesting.
Could this have happened prior to Magic being named President? I just think nothing is going to come of it.
Magic is the culprit according to various articles. The Pacers are contending that Magic communicated with Paul George. I wonder what the penalty will be.