Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't get that trade for NYK. Kanter isn't really a piece you can build around, and they didn't even get a 1st rounder? Blech. I would have much rather had Sabonis or Adams if they are taking OKC big men. Feels like they didn't get great value for Melo. If I were Zinger I'd be pissed.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Melo doesn't have great value anymore.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

No way Melo is getting them Adams. And Sabonis is on the pacers now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/911572182060453893

Unprecedented. What a joke Trump is and an embarrassment to our country.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/911572182060453893

Unprecedented. What a joke Trump is and an embarrassment to our country.

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/911610455877021697

:D :lol:

jonh

Post by jonh »

What does this do for OKC's chances this year? I have a hard time seeing the offensive (and defensive) skills of these players really complementing one another.

Split T

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:What does this do for OKC's chances this year? I have a hard time seeing the offensive (and defensive) skills of these players really complementing one another.
Melo has always played his best basketball on the USA national team. I think he'll be pretty dangerous as a third option. He can stretch the floor as a small ball 4, crash the glass and take bigger guys off the dribble. I think he'll be fine defensively at the 4. George and Roberson are great defensively on the wing. Adams and Westbrook are average to good defenders. I think this is pretty solidly the 2nd best team in the West.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I know the Curry / Lebron / POTUS / WH invite stuff is directly NBA-related, and I'm happy to talk about it. But let's do that in the Politics area, since that is likely to be contentious or partisan. Thx.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

jonh wrote:What does this do for OKC's chances this year? I have a hard time seeing the offensive (and defensive) skills of these players really complementing one another.
They're better than they were last year, but I don't really see them as contenders. Melo's D is going to be a problem. I saw a tweet saying that teams with great shooting like Golden State will just pick and roll OKC to death.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Melo has always played his best basketball on the USA national team. I think he'll be pretty dangerous as a third option. He can stretch the floor as a small ball 4, crash the glass and take bigger guys off the dribble. I think he'll be fine defensively at the 4. George and Roberson are great defensively on the wing. Adams and Westbrook are average to good defenders. I think this is pretty solidly the 2nd best team in the West.
I don't think they will be better than they were with KD, although they do have 3 legit scoring threats. I'm interested to see if PG is a real star now that he's in the west and on a team with other stars.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
They're better than they were last year, but I don't really see them as contenders. Melo's D is going to be a problem. I saw a tweet saying that teams with great shooting like Golden State will just pick and roll OKC to death.
The Melo trade actually made them better on defense, if you can believe that. That's how bad Kanter and McBuckets were.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I know the Curry / Lebron / POTUS / WH invite stuff is directly NBA-related, and I'm happy to talk about it. But let's do that in the Politics area, since that is likely to be contentious or partisan. Thx.
I said all I need to say about it but sure, go to town.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/912133071020843008

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The draft lottery really needs to be fixed. Chicago is already tanking before the season has started.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:The draft lottery really needs to be fixed.
It is. :?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/912133071020843008

Interesting. On his way to the Cavs? Or back to Miami?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cap wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:The draft lottery really needs to be fixed.
It is. :?
Touche.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Agree with your X's and O's however although they were #5 and clearly improved I still can't see them jumping to #2 . Surely gonna be interesting to watch regardless
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Split T wrote:
Agree with your X's and O's however although they were #5 and clearly improved I still can't see them jumping to #2 . Surely gonna be interesting to watch regardless
You think Houston is better? Or Spurs? I think they'll both be good, but just behind okc

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm getting on the "OKC is overrated" bandwagon immediately for sure. Can I be the first one to crap on their team? Or do they have a lot of doubters?

My main criticism is that they have 3 ball-dominant guys who can't all dominate the ball. Westbrook won't be able to be Westbrook if he has to give the ball to Melo and George all the time and stand around and watch them operate. Those 3 will just take turns. Not enough passing and team offense. Bad basketball.

The other main criticism is that Melo is a corpse on defense. I don't trust him to stay in front of his man. I think a good team like GSW or HOU will pick and roll them to death.

I also don't think they will be good enough at interior D and rebounding. Having George-Melo at the 3-4 puts a lot of burden on (presumably) Adams at the 5 to swallow up every single rebound and protect the paint all by himself.