Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by jonh »

Cap wrote:
carey wrote:I don't know what's wrong with me but I find all of this completely uninteresting. :(

I don't want Kyrie. I don't want any part of Cleveland's mess or drama. I just want to develop our players and enjoy the '17-'18 season without a flurry of moves and bruised egos.
I'm not terribly excited about Kyrie either, but I'm open to taking a chance on him if it doesn't cost too much.
If nothing else, the trade rumors have allowed us to have something to talk about through the dog days of summer (which really is no small task--I still remember an image count thread that you guys did one offseasonn that got pretty nuts).

Thanks Kyrie.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Cap wrote:
carey wrote:I don't know what's wrong with me but I find all of this completely uninteresting. :(

I don't want Kyrie. I don't want any part of Cleveland's mess or drama. I just want to develop our players and enjoy the '17-'18 season without a flurry of moves and bruised egos.
I'm not terribly excited about Kyrie either, but I'm open to taking a chance on him if it doesn't cost too much.
If nothing else, the trade rumors have allowed us to have something to talk about through the dog days of summer (which really is no small task--I still remember an image count thread that you guys did one offseasonn that got pretty nuts).

Thanks Kyrie.
Don't they get nuts every year?

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:
Cap wrote:

Thanks Kyrie.
Don't they get nuts every year?
I know that they used to, but this is my first time experiencing the offseason on phxsuns.net in several years, so I wasn't sure what the norms are.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I guess considering we are in the off season and we haven't started one, norms are out the window.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This article gave me a chuckle. Andrew Wiggins wants a max contract, but he probably doesn't deserve one yet. So the Wolves are asking him to promise that if they give him the max, he'll improve. LOL. Scott Howard on Twitter said something like, "You can have ice cream as long as you PROMISE to eat your broccoli later!"

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/andrew-wiggin ... improving/

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This article gave me a chuckle. Andrew Wiggins wants a max contract, but he probably doesn't deserve one yet. So the Wolves are asking him to promise that if they give him the max, he'll improve. LOL. Scott Howard on Twitter said something like, "You can have ice cream as long as you PROMISE to eat your broccoli later!"

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/andrew-wiggin ... improving/
What a foolish way to do business. Sure, every player says they will improve.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Man, this guy. Does nobody ever learn?

https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/895061288019255296

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:Man, this guy. Does nobody ever learn?

He's actually been a pretty decent value at his last few stops (and on his best behavior).

jonh

Post by jonh »

Shabazz wrote:
Superbone wrote:Man, this guy. Does nobody ever learn?

He's actually been a pretty decent value at his last few stops (and on his best behavior).
"Journeyma"n is a much better sounding label than "bust".

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, Beasley played pretty well for Milwaukee last year in spurts. He's had an underwhelming career for sure, but he was at his worst for us. Not sure why he was so bad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Beasley seems like a guy who is destined to play in China or Turkey and average 20 points a game. I don't believe in him as an NBA player any more.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Beasley's per 36 numbers last year 20/7/2 and shot .53/.42/.74
His numbers were even better the year before, but a smaller sample size.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:Beasley's per 36 numbers last year 20/7/2 and shot .53/.42/.74
His numbers were even better the year before, but a smaller sample size.
Yup. He was quite good last year, he may have finally gotten his head on straight. Talent was never the problem, just like Josh Smith.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That '08 draft is an odd one in retrospect. Rose, Beasley, and Mayo went 1,2,3, and none of them really matter in the nba at this point.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Before the new jerseys come out, would you do this:

Suns in: Filler in form of Frye, Wesley Johnson, Shumpert. Kay Felder, both CLE and LAC '21 1stR pick (both under light protection, never to become extint).
Suns out: Bledsoe, Chandler, 2 2ndR picks ('19 and '21).

LAC in: Irving, Chandler, PHX 2ndR '21.
LAC out: DeAndre, Wesley Johnson.

CLE in: DeAndre, Bledsoe, PHX 2ndR '19.
CLE out: Irving, Felder, Frye, Shumpert.

We get the picks because we help both teams, under the mindset that Kryrie 'is not for PHX'.

LeBron would have a reason to stay with those two vets brought in to fix needs. Even save something like $1M plus L-tax. If needed, PHX can take Jefferson's 2'5M as well.

LAC moves on from DeAndre to assemble a terrific one-two punch with Kyrie and Griffin. Increase their payroll by around $3M but they can't trade the stuff they got from HOU unless it is one player at a time. If they want some savings, they can dispose of Bryce Johnson and Hilliard, dumping one or both on us (little more than $2M combined).

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I'm not terribly excited about this deal but I don't think I would mind it either. Players from those picks probably won't be ready for anything serious until '23-'24 (if at all, of course). I would prefer to get an earlier pick or a solid young prospect for Bledsoe. Of course, that is hard to get from CLE and LAC.

Also, I don't think CLE would like this deal as well, at least not without additional moves. They have a hard time playing Thompson and Love together, adding Jordan to that seems like a waste.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wouldn't do that. I'd rather keep Bledsoe and Chandler than just dump them for salary. Besides, I think Chandler, and maybe even Bledsoe, will have more value at the deadline. If we're giving up Bledsoe in a deal that involves Irving, I'd want Irving back.

Also, LBJ isn't staying in Cleveland if he doesn't want to. And bringing Irving to the Clips would potentially cause them a headache with Beverly. I doubt they'd care, but it'd be something to keep in mind if you're the Clips.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

How about:

Orlando gets: Irving, Shump and TJ Warren
Cleveland gets: Bledsoe, Chandler and Terrence Ross
Phoenix gets: Elfrid, Frye and Biyombo

Move some picks around, we get a Cleveland pick or something. But Cleveland gets better immediately, we get a pass first, defensive PG who can complement Booker in the backcourt (his offense is improving) and Orlando gets the premier PG they need to lead the younger group.

EDIT: Also, I did this one in like 2 minutes so some of the role players can be swapped out. Maybe we get Ross or something and Cleveland gets Warren, etc.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I rate Warren higher than Elf (and honestly, maybe a mere top20 1stR as well). Ross does absolutely nothing for me.

Biyombo would have my curiosity, but only for Knight. Orlando probably has the same long term concerns that we do (personally, can't see Irving staying there).

The value is not there for me unless we got two cute 1stR picks, and even then I'd consider it an overpay if Warren was involved.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

NBA expected to approve player-resting rules

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 556173001/
"Be Legendary."