Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by pickle »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Indy wrote:Yeah, i hate when I find out a game I want to watch is on ESPN. There is nothing on that network i enjoy outside of live sports, but it seems to be increasingly less and less of what they do.
They are putting way too much effort into the entertainment side of things, that SC6 thing they started is garbage, its like an awful comedy show that dabbles in sports. Its what FoxSports used to do with the Best Damn Sports Show Period a million years ago. It buried that network, and somehow ESPN is following that path.
I think Bill Simmons was definitely very original in reporting sports from a fan perspective, but now this has gone too far to the point where everything has to have a creative twist or else. It's refreshing for a while, but in the end maybe I just want the news and don't want to sift through hours of talking heads and spittin' A's to get to the basic information.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What ESPN and others need to realize is that if you don't have any good sports reporting, there is nothing to analyze and react to. Personalities like Stephen A are dependent on the real reporters to write and present the original stories that they then give their loud opinions about. Without the actual reporters, the hollowness of Smith's routine will start to show itself and wear thin.

TOO

Post by TOO »

pickle wrote:
Indy wrote:Yeah, i hate when I find out a game I want to watch is on ESPN. There is nothing on that network i enjoy outside of live sports, but it seems to be increasingly less and less of what they do.
They are putting way too much effort into the entertainment side of things, that SC6 thing they started is garbage, its like an awful comedy show that dabbles in sports. Its what FoxSports used to do with the Best Damn Sports Show Period a million years ago. It buried that network, and somehow ESPN is following that path.
I think Bill Simmons was definitely very original in reporting sports from a fan perspective, but now this has gone too far to the point where everything has to have a creative twist or else. It's refreshing for a while, but in the end maybe I just want the news and don't want to sift through hours of talking heads and spittin' A's to get to the basic information.
Always kinda thought Simmons was a whiny dweeb.

Cap

Post by Cap »

bajanguy008 wrote:Sup folks

Anybody been paying attention to Ice Cube's idea with this Big 3 League ? Saw there was a draft over the weekend and guys seem to be taking it seriously, I was trying to paste the image of the different teams but couldn't get it done lol :? :lol:
I'm guessing it'll be about as viable as SlamBall.

carey

Post by carey »

Anybody been paying attention to Ice Cube's idea with this Big 3 League ? Saw there was a draft over the weekend and guys seem to be taking it seriously, I was trying to paste the image of the different teams but couldn't get it done lol :? :lol:
I saw that there were tryouts of sorts and that some guys didn't get drafted. The list of guys that did are interesting. MA-R made a team and he's 48 while a guy like Kareem Rush didn't and he's only 36. You'll see familiar names like Mike Sweetney and Brian Cook on there (both in mid-30s.) I'm curious to see what the games are played like. Growing up in Phoenix during my late teenage years 3-on-3 was all that was played. I lived at Cactus playground.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:

I saw that there were tryouts of sorts and that some guys didn't get drafted. The list of guys that did are interesting. MA-R made a team and he's 48 while a guy like Kareem Rush didn't and he's only 36. You'll see familiar names like Mike Sweetney and Brian Cook on there (both in mid-30s.) I'm curious to see what the games are played like. Growing up in Phoenix during my late teenage years 3-on-3 was all that was played. I lived at Cactus playground.
On Scottsdale Rd and Cactus Rd? I used to play there too from time to time in my much younger days.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
I like his work a lot more in print than I do in person.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
pickle wrote:
I like his work a lot more in print than I do in person.
Agreed. He is a little much live. He needs to write it out and organize his thoughts a bit more.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And he needs a good editor.

The number of pop references and anecdotes from his personal life in the Book of Basketball were beyond excessive.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:And he needs a good editor.

The number of pop references and anecdotes from his personal life in the Book of Basketball were beyond excessive.
Fair point, but many of his references hit me squarely. He is several years older than me, but same generation. I would assume those in a different generation (older or younger) like them much less.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:

Fair point, but many of his references hit me squarely. He is several years older than me, but same generation. I would assume those in a different generation (older or younger) like them much less.
It's fine for a column, but a little self-indulgent for a nonfiction book.

I liked his book a lot, he has a lot of good insight and observations, they just got buried at times among the stories about him and his buddies.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Simmons does a pretty great set of podcasts. And when he takes the time to write columns, those turn out well, too. His ESPN halftime/postgame stuff was mediocre, and his HBO TV show was abysmal. Whenever he crosses over into video, he tends to fail bigly. Print and audio are his wheelhouse, and there's no shame in that. I still like him a lot more than most NBA personalities.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Indy wrote:

It's fine for a column, but a little self-indulgent for a nonfiction book.

I liked his book a lot, he has a lot of good insight and observations, they just got buried at times among the stories about him and his buddies.
That is good insight. I haven't read his book yet, just his articles (though some are probably as long as a short book!).

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

carey wrote:

Yea they were tryouts so as Kenyon n J O'neal r on two of the teams everyone else made sure to draft a big guy, dudes like Reggie Evans , Junkyard Dog which makes sense in that format u need a banger lol. Francis n Spree weren't drafted and I can see them not being in the best of shape :D but Abdul Rauf probably takes much better care of himself.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Full Big3 draft results

Pick Player Team
1 Rashad McCants Trilogy
2 Andre Owens 3’s Company
3 Reggie Evans Killer 3s
4 Xavier Silas Tri-State
5 Kwame Brown Three-Headed Monsters
6 Jerome Williams Power
7 Derrick Byars Ball Hogs
8 Maurice Evans Ghost Ballers
9 Marcus Banks Ghost Ballers
10 Rasual Butler Ball Hogs
11 DeShawn Stevenson Power
12 Eddie Basden Three-Headed Monsters
13 Lee Nailon Tri-State
14 Larry Hughes Killer 3s
15 Michael Sweetney 3’s Company
16 James White Trilogy
17 Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf Three-Headed Monsters
18 Dominic McGuire Ball Hogs
19 Dion Glover Trilogy
20 Moochie Norris Power
21 Ruben Patterson 3’s Company
22 Ivan Johnson Ghost Ballers
23 Mike James Tri-State
24 Brian Cook Killers 3s

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oof. That draft looks pretty patchy to me. I hope they can keep it going and develop a fan base, but those players are mostly dregs who couldn't make it in the NBA or are too old/washed up to do it any more.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Oof. That draft looks pretty patchy to me. I hope they can keep it going and develop a fan base, but those players are mostly dregs who couldn't make it in the NBA or are too old/washed up to do it any more.
well their argument has been most guys outta the league can still play but the grind of the NBA is what they no longer care for, games only playing on Sundays in different arenas like a travel league so we'll see. It might not be too bad, I just know end of June to August I usually don't have anything to watch regardless lol :D so I know I gonna end up watching
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Cap

Post by Cap »

bajanguy008 wrote:Francis n Spree weren't drafted and I can see them not being in the best of shape :D
But Spree has a family to feed!
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:but those players are mostly dregs who couldn't make it in the NBA or are too old/washed up to do it any more.
Duh. Why would somebody who can play in the NBA want to play in this thing?

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/861618558656274433

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's a good time to opt out, because paychecks are so big right now. He might still be back in Toronto.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan