Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Hermen

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by Hermen »

We'll see how they play together on offense, but George was 3rd in catch&shoot points in the league last year with 7.4 and Melo wasn't far behind with 6.3, both with around 42% 3pt shooting.
And I really doubt rebounding will be a problem. They get ~7 rebounds per game which is good for forwards, plus Roberson and Westbrook are very strong rebounding guards.
We'll see about the defense, Melo could be a bit more motivated now that the stakes will be higher. Cleveland is doing fine with Love. Who is their backup center though? Only Patterson or do they have anyone else?

I think they should fight it out for the 2nd seed with the Rockets and the Spurs, but those teams have their own issues as well. They should be the favourites in their minds.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I'm getting on the "OKC is overrated" bandwagon immediately for sure. Can I be the first one to crap on their team? Or do they have a lot of doubters?

My main criticism is that they have 3 ball-dominant guys who can't all dominate the ball. Westbrook won't be able to be Westbrook if he has to give the ball to Melo and George all the time and stand around and watch them operate. Those 3 will just take turns. Not enough passing and team offense. Bad basketball.

The other main criticism is that Melo is a corpse on defense. I don't trust him to stay in front of his man. I think a good team like GSW or HOU will pick and roll them to death.

I also don't think they will be good enough at interior D and rebounding. Having George-Melo at the 3-4 puts a lot of burden on (presumably) Adams at the 5 to swallow up every single rebound and protect the paint all by himself.
My name is O Gardino, and I support this message.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Hermen wrote:We'll see how they play together on offense, but George was 3rd in catch&shoot points in the league last year with 7.4 and Melo wasn't far behind with 6.3, both with around 42% 3pt shooting.
I am certainly not gonna give any guarantees they will be a well oiled machine but I do think it is not gonna be a mess either for exactly this point you made. I keep hearing the need the ball for PG and not good 3pt shooters to play off WB but I think people really sleeping on how much spot up 3's and pin down action PG did in Indy. Of course he had Isos as the best player but since coming back from the leg injury his catch and shoot has been much more consistent
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I'm getting on the "OKC is overrated" bandwagon immediately for sure. Can I be the first one to crap on their team? Or do they have a lot of doubters?

My main criticism is that they have 3 ball-dominant guys who can't all dominate the ball. Westbrook won't be able to be Westbrook if he has to give the ball to Melo and George all the time and stand around and watch them operate. Those 3 will just take turns. Not enough passing and team offense. Bad basketball.

The other main criticism is that Melo is a corpse on defense. I don't trust him to stay in front of his man. I think a good team like GSW or HOU will pick and roll them to death.

I also don't think they will be good enough at interior D and rebounding. Having George-Melo at the 3-4 puts a lot of burden on (presumably) Adams at the 5 to swallow up every single rebound and protect the paint all by himself.
First point, I think this is a pretty valid concern. Melo does like the ball, but he's always been on teams where he was the best offensive weapon. When playing for team USA he deferred often, became a deadly spot up shooter, offensive rebounder, and secondary attacker.

Westbrook and Durant may have not played great team basketball, they did the whole his turn, my turn thing, but it was still successful. I'm not expecting a great ball movement team, but you can have a good offense without great ball movement. OKC and Toronto are good examples of this. As for George, I think he's the perfect compliment to Westbrook.

Second point, I think melo's poor defense is overrated. Especially if he's covering 4's. Who is Houston going to pick n roll Melo with? Ryan Anderson? I'm not worried about that at all. GS will give them trouble, but GS will give everyone trouble. Melo will guard Draymond and actually probably matches up well. Draymond is a power ball handler but not overly quick. Melo can handle that.

Last point, rebounding won't be an issue, Melo, George, and Westbrook are all great rebounders, even elite in some cases. Rim protection might be a problem, but it's not like they got worse. They gave up Kanter and McDermott, two of the absolute worst defensive players in the entire NBA.

I don't think OKC has a great shot at beating GS, but they turned Kanter, McDermott, Sabonis, and Oladipo into Paul George and Carmelo Anthony. That's a major upgrade.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

In what would be the least surprising news of the offseason.....

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/912712775209758720

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

1 year together, then leave and go to LA with Paul George?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:In what would be the least surprising news of the offseason.....
I feel your pain, carey.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1391
"Be Legendary."

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Superbone wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:In what would be the least surprising news of the offseason.....
I feel your pain, carey.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1391
But bajanguy did it first.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Hermen wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I feel your pain, carey.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1391
But bajanguy did it first.
Whoa! Don't know how I missed that. :oops: My bad, bajan!
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I didn't even realise that I was the subject of some of the last posts smh lol. My badd Bone :oops: , I took the new thread as the one to use from when Preseason "game action" starts this weekend

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:I didn't even realise that I was the subject of some of the last posts smh lol. My badd Bone :oops: , I took the new thread as the one to use from when Preseason "game action" starts this weekend
Nah, you did nothing wrong. The preseason thread didn't even exist when you posted.
"Be Legendary."