Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: The Offseason

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/857995242078785536

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by Indy »

Good for the Pacers

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Pritchard ... Didn't he run the Blazers a while back?

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Pritchard ... Didn't he run the Blazers a while back?
Yep.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They'll be fine with Pritchard on the day to day and Donnie overseeing things. Pritchard could be better for the Pacers right now since they're looking at a bit of a rebuild. He can draft and deal with the best of them.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Bird made some questionable decisions these last 2 years.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Crazy what's happening at ESPN. Among NBA-related people they just laid off: Marc Stein, Chad Ford (after the draft), David Thorpe, Henry Abbott, Ethan Strauss, Justin Verrier.

Their coverage will look drastically different going forward. At least they kept Stephen A Smith.

carey

Post by carey »

Steven A is a rating monster as annoying and pompous as he is. I'm sad for Stein though. Genuine good dude. Don't care much about Ford because all his articles were behind a pay wall.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Why so many layoffs? Did they lose a lot of money recently? I heard some dumb rumor that it was politics related, like as in Republican vs Democrat, but I think that sounds preposterous.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Some of the anchors have come out recently and said it's hard to hold conservative viewpoints in Bristol and you need to toe the company line. There are also articles written and guys like Whitlock have called out ESPN for infusing liberal politics and viewpoints into their coverage and talk shows.

The bottom line is....the bottom line. They committed a lot of money to TV deals/rights and are cost cutting. It began last year and a bit before that and the general feeling was that they weren't going to start overpaying or getting into bidding wars for on-air talent. The brand is strong enough to move on with newer, younger, cheaper talent blah blah blah. We'll see. They're losing a lot of knowledgeable, credible and talented people (Stein, Werder, Abbott, Strauss, etc) but also cutting ties with behind the scenes type. Meanwhile, they're keeping the entertainers and personalities who don't necessarily provide insight or knowledge, but drive ratings. And they'll probably start hiring and putting on newer talent that may or may not be as good as the talent they let go.

A few good articles:

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/colin-c ... ecade.html

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post ... l-dynamics

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:Some of the anchors have come out recently and said it's hard to hold conservative viewpoints in Bristol and you need to toe the company line. There are also articles written and guys like Whitlock have called out ESPN for infusing liberal politics and viewpoints into their coverage and talk shows.

The bottom line is....the bottom line. They committed a lot of money to TV deals/rights and are cost cutting. It began last year and a bit before that and the general feeling was that they weren't going to start overpaying or getting into bidding wars for on-air talent. The brand is strong enough to move on with newer, younger, cheaper talent blah blah blah. We'll see. They're losing a lot of knowledgeable, credible and talented people (Stein, Werder, Abbott, Strauss, etc) but also cutting ties with behind the scenes type. Meanwhile, they're keeping the entertainers and personalities who don't necessarily provide insight or knowledge, but drive ratings. And they'll probably start hiring and putting on newer talent that may or may not be as good as the talent they let go.

A few good articles:

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/colin-c ... ecade.html

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post ... l-dynamics

So they are following the trend of less journalism, and more sensationalizing. They are basically the Fox News or MSNBC of sports 'news.'

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yup, definitely going the way of the mainstream news organizations in that sense.

jonh

Post by jonh »

ShelC wrote:Yup, definitely going the way of the mainstream news organizations in that sense.

Thank heavens. I like my sports like I like my news--light on content and heavy on the hot takes.

I wonder why they kept on Zach Lowe.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
ShelC wrote:Yup, definitely going the way of the mainstream news organizations in that sense.

Thank heavens. I like my sports like I like my news--light on content and heavy on the hot takes.

Did you forget the green font?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was watching NFL Live yesterday thinking...."They got rid of Marc Stein but Herm Edwards still has a job?"

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

ShelC wrote:I was watching NFL Live yesterday thinking...."They got rid of Marc Stein but Herm Edwards still has a job?"
I have one word for it ... "Infotainment"
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:

Zach Lowe is the best thing they've got imo. The guy knows basketball

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I bet they kept Zach Lowe just to try to keep him away from Bill Simmons. You just know The Ringer would try to snatch him up the second he became available.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I bet they kept Zach Lowe just to try to keep him away from Bill Simmons. You just know The Ringer would try to snatch him up the second he became available.
He is better than anything they got, so yeah.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
jonh wrote:

Zach Lowe is the best thing they've got imo. The guy knows basketball
Exactly