Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by Mori Chu »

Not the most diplomatic thing to say. Couldn't he say something more vague about how Ball was a better "fit" for this team, they wish Russell the best, he's going to be great in BKN, etc.?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Magic talked about "somebody that players want to play with." Is that for basketball reasons, or personal things like secretly recording Swaggy in the locker room?

carey

Post by carey »

Cuban vs. Woj: https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas ... ojnarowski
"I said, 'OK, two things. One, when I'm on the phone, everybody shut up. Two, if this gets to Wojo before our pick, whoever we find out did it is fired."

A Mavericks front office staffer who was in the draft room at the time confirms that Cuban, in fact, told everyone to lay their phones on a conference table where everyone could see them.

"Mark said, 'OK, we're going to give Woj a pump fake,' " the staffer said. Then he said, "No one touches their phones or they're fired. Coming from The Boss, you take it seriously."

Of course, several of the phones rang and buzzed and vibrated with the usual draft night activity. Who knows? Maybe LeBron James' agent called the Mavericks during that interlude to work out a path for James to come to Dallas and be closer to his beloved Cowboys. OK, so that probably didn't happen. But the Mavericks definitely missed some calls and texts.

That was of no matter to Cuban. He said that when Wojnarowski tweeted that the Knicks were going to select Frank Ntilikina at No. 8, several staff members wanted to high-five because that ostensibly meant Dallas would get its man, Smith.

"I'm like, 'No,' " Cuban said. "Just because it's reported doesn't mean it's true. I've been in crazier situations.
"So we're waiting and waiting. When Adam Silver walks out, I'm like, 'OK.'

When Silver announced the Knicks had indeed picked Ntilikina, that's when the room erupted in chest bumps and, according to coach Rick Carlisle, "thunderous ovation."

Not because the Mavs had thwarted ol' Woj, though that certainly was an accomplishment in itself. It's because they got the guy they wanted all along.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Butler seems.. unhappy: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1972 ... ngs-better
"I guess being called the face of an organization isn't as good as I thought," Butler, 27, told the Sun-Times from Paris, where he first learned of the trade. "We all see where being the so-called face of the Chicago Bulls got me. So let me be just a player for the Timberwolves, man. That's all I want to do. I just want to be winning games. Do what I can for my respective organization and let them realize what I'm trying to do.

"Whatever they want to call me ... face ... I don't even want to get into that anymore. Whose team is it? All that means nothing. You know what I've learned? Face of the team, eventually you're going to see the back of his head as he's leaving town, so no thanks.''
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

carey wrote:Butler seems.. unhappy: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1972 ... ngs-better
"I guess being called the face of an organization isn't as good as I thought," Butler, 27, told the Sun-Times from Paris, where he first learned of the trade. "We all see where being the so-called face of the Chicago Bulls got me. So let me be just a player for the Timberwolves, man. That's all I want to do. I just want to be winning games. Do what I can for my respective organization and let them realize what I'm trying to do.

"Whatever they want to call me ... face ... I don't even want to get into that anymore. Whose team is it? All that means nothing. You know what I've learned? Face of the team, eventually you're going to see the back of his head as he's leaving town, so no thanks.''
Well one thing for sure he always plays with an edge even having gotten that label and acknowledgement as one of the top guys in the league. So unhappy or pissed off lol you know how he's gonna play once the ball tips
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, mark that first Twolves/Bulls game on your calendar now.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Thibs is going to run Butler to the groud and the guy is going to love every minute of it. Again, I am interested to see how he meshes with Wiggins.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't remember, was Thibs the coach of Butler before? They overlapped in Chicago, right? So Thibs knows the guy and his strengths and how to use him well?

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I can't remember, was Thibs the coach of Butler before? They overlapped in Chicago, right? So Thibs knows the guy and his strengths and how to use him well?
Um, yep. Thibs is the reason Butler is who he is as a player. Butler is on record crediting all his success to TT. Minnesota will be a playoff team next year. The only question is what are they doing at PG because I'm still seeing stuff on-line about them shopping Rubio. I don't think Jones is quite ready for the role of playoff PG either.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I can't remember, was Thibs the coach of Butler before? They overlapped in Chicago, right? So Thibs knows the guy and his strengths and how to use him well?
Um, yep. Thibs is the reason Butler is who he is as a player. Butler is on record crediting all his success to TT. Minnesota will be a playoff team next year. The only question is what are they doing at PG because I'm still seeing stuff on-line about them shopping Rubio. I don't think Jones is quite ready for the role of playoff PG either.
Agreed on Rubio as he seems like the ideal fit for a starting lineup with 3 scorers and Dieng as a shot blocking big who can hit some midrange jumpers is nice. My two things are that I feel most people just say Lavine the high flyer/athlete but his 3pt shooting was really good last year and will be missed plus I can't think of another solid player on their team/bench
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Hey how messed up is it that the playoffs are done and the draft too but regular season awards have not been given? Silver screwed up here.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Again, I am interested to see how he meshes with Wiggins.
I don't think they fit well together, but we'll see.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Hey how messed up is it that the playoffs are done and the draft too but regular season awards have not been given? Silver screwed up here.
Yeah, I think next year they will handle it different.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Hey how messed up is it that the playoffs are done and the draft too but regular season awards have not been given? Silver screwed up here.
It's the latest ever, right? It's ridiculous.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
Doesn't really bother me. Probably an attempt to keep the NBA in the news year round. I prefer it to having the announcement in the middle of the playoffs actually. It's funny when your MVP is already out of the playoffs.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Doesn't really bother me. Probably an attempt to keep the NBA in the news year round. I prefer it to having the announcement in the middle of the playoffs actually. It's funny when your MVP is already out of the playoffs.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. I'm sure you're right that it's an attempt to keep the NBA in the news. Draft->Award Winners->FA period->Summer League-><small hiatus>->NBA training camp
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Again, I am interested to see how he meshes with Wiggins.
I don't think they fit well together, but we'll see.
Because Wiggins passes less than Carmelo?
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't that's true. I think Wiggins and Butler have essentially the same offensive skill sets: one on one players, mediocre from 3, questionable shot selection, etc.

Wiggins needs to be paired with a shooter, not another iso scorer.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Agreed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:I don't that's true. I think Wiggins and Butler have essentially the same offensive skill sets: one on one players, mediocre from 3, questionable shot selection, etc.

Wiggins needs to be paired with a shooter, not another iso scorer.
You mean somebody like Zach Levine?
"Be Legendary."