Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by Split T »

They've also got a Kyrie on the Celtics cover.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:I just saw Kyrie in a Cavs uni really the cover of NBA 2k 18.

He had a great playoffs, so I understand why he would be on the cover, but they've had forever to get the uni right. I wonder if there is some contract with the Cavs where they have already paid to have the Cavs jersey on the cover, etc.

But I bet nobody in Cleveland buys this copy of the game.
I guarantee you that cover was already in production before the trade. They're not going to recall them all. I believe a replacement cover will be available soonish.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:LOL, oops. That's awkward. Of all the players they could choose.

What about in the game itself? Did they properly move him onto the Celtics at least?
Yes, day 1 of release he is on the Celtics. (After downloading the day 1 patch, of course.)
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Because I'm fairly certain nobody really cares to see the 10-15min Launch video from last night lol, I found this less than 1min vid for those who just might want to get a peep of some of the jerseys. Still think ours are easily one of the better ones :)

[youtube][/youtube]
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:I just saw Kyrie in a Cavs uni really the cover of NBA 2k 18.

He had a great playoffs, so I understand why he would be on the cover, but they've had forever to get the uni right. I wonder if there is some contract with the Cavs where they have already paid to have the Cavs jersey on the cover, etc.

But I bet nobody in Cleveland buys this copy of the game.
I guarantee you that cover was already in production before the trade. They're not going to recall them all. I believe a replacement cover will be available soonish.
Sure, for the hard copies. But I saw that on Steam. The trade has only been official for 2 weeks, so I guess it's not as bad as it seems. A big company like 2k might have trouble uploading a picture to Steam in just 2 weeks. <smirks>

This is from 3 weeks ago in Forbes:
The good news is that as the most authentic and realistic basketball game on the market, we're used to being nimble and responding to changes in the NBA
new-nba-2k18-cover-featuring-kyrie-irving-in-a-boston-celtics-uniform-will-be-distributed
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I love the OKC stuff (still can't believe George is there). Also like NY's subtle changes. POR is interesting. Minni is too loud, I agre. Most are pretty acceptable, including ours, although I like last year version better.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

bajanguy008 wrote:Because I'm fairly certain nobody really cares to see the 10-15min Launch video from last night lol, I found this less than 1min vid for those who just might want to get a peep of some of the jerseys. Still think ours are easily one of the better ones :)

[youtube][/youtube]
This is just silliness. All this hype over uniforms.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/909769122896138240

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

That deal is probably a good bench mark for Len. Plumlee's averages are very similar in slightly more minutes per game.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/909769122896138240

That's the benchmark Len was waiting for. Might be more than I would pay for Len.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wouldn't mind giving Len a deal like that.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Dragon doing his best Pau n Manu playing lights out for his National Team

https://twitter.com/Goran_Dragic/status/909640296136347648

This is some pic :shock:

https://twitter.com/youngwhiteside/status/909543018474217472

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL look at this. Kevin Durant has been defending himself on Twitter using alt accounts, and apparently he forgot to switch to his alt yesterday and defended himself in the third person from his main account.

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/9/ ... rs-thunder

https://twitter.com/harrisonmc15/status/909634206355066880

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I actually couldn't believe that when I first saw it. I thought it was a joke, but it seems legit. Of course, he'll probably blame it on some social media manager but who knows. Apparently Skip Bayless got caught doing that as well. Really funny. Sad, but funny.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I wouldn't mind giving Len a deal like that.
Too much. Len won't get that in the market. We would just be bidding against ourselves to give him that deal. Right now, he is worth about the same as Sauce. That is what I would offer.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:I actually couldn't believe that when I first saw it. I thought it was a joke, but it seems legit. Of course, he'll probably blame it on some social media manager but who knows. Apparently Skip Bayless got caught doing that as well. Really funny. Sad, but funny.
I suspect that it's actually extremely common. Astroturfing and fake alt accounts are easy to make, can be effective, and have essentially zero cost/risk other than the occasional "outing" like this. I bet tons of people have them and use them for these kinds of purposes.

In this day of computing and AI and algorithms, I bet you could do a huge analysis of every user on Twitter or FB and look at their writing style and frequently used words and could infer with decent accuracy whether one user is really the same person as another. This can be done with startlingly good accuracy if you give the algorithm a large enough corpus of text to work with. I know this because I've assigned a simple version of this to my students as homework. :-)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
ShelC wrote:I actually couldn't believe that when I first saw it. I thought it was a joke, but it seems legit. Of course, he'll probably blame it on some social media manager but who knows. Apparently Skip Bayless got caught doing that as well. Really funny. Sad, but funny.
I suspect that it's actually extremely common. Astroturfing and fake alt accounts are easy to make, can be effective, and have essentially zero cost/risk other than the occasional "outing" like this. I bet tons of people have them and use them for these kinds of purposes.

In this day of computing and AI and algorithms, I bet you could do a huge analysis of every user on Twitter or FB and look at their writing style and frequently used words and could infer with decent accuracy whether one user is really the same person as another. This can be done with startlingly good accuracy if you give the algorithm a large enough corpus of text to work with. I know this because I've assigned a simple version of this to my students as homework. :-)
I used to work for a company that does that. They are very very good at it, and can know a ton about you by piecing together various sources. The creepy/cool part is the PII (Personally Identifiable Information) aspect of it. It is 100% illegal for companies to keep PII without your consent, but nothing in modern technology is legally considered PII. We couldn't keep you actual name in the database, but we knew your phone number + various account IDs.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

I actually think the Social Media Manager excuse is more believable in this case. Or one of his buddies logging in as him.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:That deal is probably a good bench mark for Len. Plumlee's averages are very similar in slightly more minutes per game.
HELL NO. Let me say it again, HELL NO

carey

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:HELL NO. Let me say it again, HELL NO
I don't think he should get $13M a year. I think somewhere in the 7 or 8 range but I could see him using that as a barometer.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!