NBA Western Conference Semifinals 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: NBA Western Conference Semifinals

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Yeah, I get it from the players' standpoint, but perhaps Silver should have stepped in for the sake of overall health of the competition. Funny how the bad guy LeBron is the only thing that can prevent a monopoly.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Yeah, I get it from the players' standpoint, but perhaps Silver should have stepped in for the sake of overall health of the competition. Funny how the bad guy LeBron is the only thing that can prevent a monopoly.
I kind of agree with you. But as I'm also more interested in the competition between owners and GMs that I used to be. I think there's two sides to this coin.

The NBA is a business and competitive balance is good for the league as a whole.
The NBA is a competition. Why rig the rules to help bad owners compete against good owners?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Because these are not regular circumnstances. Exceptional situations can justify exceptional measures and in this case, the salary cap has seen a raise like never before, giving the team that happens to be winning at the moment an artificial edge that is not a product (directly at least) of good GM'ing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Hermen wrote:Harrell played a lot and played well when Capela was injured.
Yep, he looked good earlier in the season.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Will anybody beat the Warriors or Cavs before the finals? I think there is a better chance of the Warriors losing one to (SA/HOU) than for the Cavs to lose one to (BOS/Wizards).

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

What the heck is going on with Khawi? Not on the floor for the Spurs for the last possession of regulation or start of OT.

Cap

Post by Cap »

No Kawhi, no Tony, no prob. Danny Green, Patty Mills, and Jonathon Simmons can carry the Spurs to victory. Pop for MVP.

BTW, after the Spurs failed to score on the last possession of regulation, Pop was furious with Pau. Pau did not play in OT.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That's too bad. I was rooting for D'Antoni and crew. Houston's offense just shut down in OT and was anemic.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:That's too bad. I was rooting for D'Antoni and crew. Houston's offense just shut down in OT and was anemic.
Harden stopped running the offense and just stood there 5 feet from the 3pt line dribbling the clock out on every possession. Looked to me like he buckled under the pressure.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That may have simply been the offense. MikeD gives his players freedom like that. He's not drawing up plays for the guys on the floor to execute. So down the stretch, it becomes less reliable offense and execution.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That Spurs/Rockets Game 5 was a classic. Great game to watch, especially the end of the 4th and OT. It really felt like an old Suns/Spurs game from the mid-2000s in some ways. Mike D fuming and stomping over on the bench; the challenger bombing 3s and the Spurs patiently running their system; the challenger falling apart a bit at the end and losing ther poise. Spurs had a huge last couple of plays including a great block by Manu on Harden who was shooting a 3 to tie it. Really enjoyed this game; felt like one of the first must-see games of this playoffs.

It looks like Kawhi is going to play in the next game:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/kawhi-leo ... 47975.html

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Damn Spurs. They find an obscure free agent like Simmons, who was poised to be a barber, and transform him into a key rotation player. Plus, they're still getting use from the long-dead carcass of Manu Ginobili ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:That's too bad. I was rooting for D'Antoni and crew. Houston's offense just shut down in OT and was anemic.
Harden stopped running the offense and just stood there 5 feet from the 3pt line dribbling the clock out on every possession. Looked to me like he buckled under the pressure.
I thought he looked like Bledsoe.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That was some vintage Manu last night. I hated that guy back in the day, but I pumped my fist when he blocked Harden. I don't have a strong rooting interest in this series, but I hate how so many Rockets players flail and flop and try to draw a foul on nearly every play. So I think I want the Spurs to win the series.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Screw the Spurs.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

Fuck the Spurs. Fuck the Rox. Fuck everybody Robert Horry ever played for. And no, he never played for us.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
I thought he looked like Bledsoe.
Coaching.. Amirite?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:f*** the Spurs. f*** the Rox. f*** everybody R****t H***y ever played for. And no, he never played for us.
THIS

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:f*** the Spurs. f*** the Rox. f*** everybody R****t H***y ever played for. And no, he never played for us.
THIS
YEAH, BABY!!!

One of the worst villains in Suns history.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The day we traded Barkley, a franchise icon, for that idiot towel-thrower H***y and Sam Cassell was a dark day in the history of this franchise indeed.