NBA Western Conference Semifinals 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: NBA Western Conference Semifinals

Post by Mori Chu »

That video is definitely a foul on Mills and not Harden acting like a "disgrace." Mills may have his hands up, but with his legs and body he's running sideways and bumps into Harden. If you're moving and you bump the opponent like that, it's a foul. The hands up are irrelevant.

The issue of whether Harden should get 3 free throws for it is a separate question. I do think a reasonable compromise would be that refs shouldn't call something a shooting foul if the player clearly just hoists up a shot because they see that they're about to be fouled. It's hard to say with objectivity whether a player is doing that, but I would trust the refs' judgment, especially nowadays with all the video reviews and so on. I would probably want that Mills bump on Harden to be called as a non-shooting foul under such a rule.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Am I the only one who thinks is should be a no-call? If it is a foul, I don't know that there is anyway to not call it a shooting foul. The contact happened while harden was in a shooting motion.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:Am I the only one who thinks is should be a no-call? If it is a foul, I don't know that there is anyway to not call it a shooting foul. The contact happened while harden was in a shooting motion.
That should be a no-call. There's always contact fighting through screens. But in the NBA right now, they call that all the time.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

GS just demolished Utah in the first Q. Jazz missed their last 10 shots or something like that.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Jazz wont win a game in this series. I dont think GS loses a game til the finals tbh.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Cap

Post by Cap »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I dont think GS loses a game til the finals tbh.
I won't be shocked if the Cavs sweep through the East as well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Golden State will lose at least 1-2 games to the Houston/San Antonio winner. But it's looking almost certain to me that we have another Warriors/Cavs Finals rematch ahead of us.

carey

Post by carey »

Anyone else surprised by SA chowing down on the Rox tonight? Keeping them to 92 while scoring over 100 is impressive. All without TP.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:Anyone else surprised by SA chowing down on the Rox tonight? Keeping them to 92 while scoring over 100 is impressive. All without TP.
It seems all too familiar.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It appears that D'Antoni still can't hang with Pop. The Spurs make adjustments and come into Houston and win without Parker. Impressive.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
carey wrote:Anyone else surprised by SA chowing down on the Rox tonight? Keeping them to 92 while scoring over 100 is impressive. All without TP.
It seems all too familiar.
Yup.
"Be Legendary."

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Superbone wrote:It appears that D'Antoni still can't hang with Pop. The Spurs make adjustments and come into Houston and win without Parker. Impressive.
Mmmmmhhhhm. I think even D'Antoni saw it coming. He looked downright miserable while they defeated OKC.

Houston needs to hit their threes [Captain Obvious] but they have trouble getting the shots they want since Leonard is defending Harden. Very interesting series.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wonder if MikeD's been in the huddle screaming "We gotta run faster! Gotta take more 3s!"

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Probably more like, "C'mon, guys! Gotta have more energy! Let's go! C'mon! Guys! ... Guys?"

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

They did explain the other day that they can't playback the coaches discussing strategy. Just the fluff stuff.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's a little cheap to bust Mike D's chops because Aldridge is finally outplaying Anderson. The Rockets are a tier 2 team, and they are getting beaten by a tier 1 team. I think Houston will get one more and that's it.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:It's a little cheap to bust Mike D's chops because Aldridge is finally outplaying Anderson. The Rockets are a tier 2 team, and they are getting beaten by a tier 1 team. I think Houston will get one more and that's it.
Still think this one goes 7 but we'll see.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

O_Gardino wrote:It's a little cheap to bust Mike D's chops because Aldridge is finally outplaying Anderson. The Rockets are a tier 2 team, and they are getting beaten by a tier 1 team. I think Houston will get one more and that's it.
It is all too familiar especially from the Watson lovers. We will see how Wooden does in the playoffs, that is if he ever guides a team to the playoffs. Let alone the 2nd round in a stacked Western conference.

We have had such great success since Mike left town I can understand the celebration when the team he is coaching happens to get beat. Good riddance. He usually isn't very happy during or after a loss. Being emotional is a terrible trait to have as a coach. It usually means you have a heartbeat.

When you have both Anderson and Williams not being able to make a shot it is hard to beat anyone. They shot 36% from the field last Friday and I think 25 % in the first quarter and it was a close game most of the night.

Today is obviously huge for them and Pop is used to coaching in huge games so it should be fun too watch, Win or lose. Currently the Spurs are a 79% favorite to win the series.

D'Atnoni is a shared winner with Spoelstra for COY honors. Good choices, IMO.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Glad Spo got it. He deserved it. MikeD had a team built for his style so I think he had less work to do overall.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I think that was from the coaching association, not the actual NBA awards.